Quantcast

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mega Drive Mini updates

Their merchandise also only seems to acknowledge the existence of model 1.

Mind you, you're right that among Japanese fans the preference is indeed the 6-button controller (at least from what I can tell from Twitter), but pretty much all merchandise I've seen in recent years seems to believe the launch model is the only thing that ever existed, and other models are acknowledged only when all of them are handled as a group.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Gryson's Avatar

Model 2 didn't sell as much in Japan. Most of the MD's sales came earlier.

Is there anybody that prefers the 3-button controller over the 6-button??

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strider1911 View Post
    Well in an hypothetical scenario where I'm asked to choose the features I would like to see included/not included, here are my choices:
    [...]
    • People still remember AtGames's horrible consoles, and the cart slot won't help them forget.
    • The Mega Drive Mini should be... Mini, and a cartridge slot will surely ruin the aesthetics.
    I don't feel like the AtGames association is going to be a problem. The market they're targeting with this is far broader than the market segment who would recognise the name and what it implies. This will succeed or fail regardless of whatever we think about it.

I may be in a minority on this one, but I've never understood the appeal of the "mini" footprint. My ideal machine would be more akin to the AtGame's Flashback, something that looks and feels more like the real thing, but with the trimmings of a modern implementation (save states, HDMI etc). I get where you're coming from though, and agree that if it has to be a mini (because reasons?) then a cartridge slot would be philosophically untenable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Model 2 didn't sell as much in Japan. Most of the MD's sales came earlier.

I don't necessarily prefer the three-button, but it's darn comfortable. I remember early on when I got my first six-button Arcade Pad (as the box called it), I was disappointed that it was smaller. I was hoping for just a 3-button controller with the extra buttons and maybe a relocated Start button.

Quote Originally Posted by nv0bdizc View Post
    I don't feel like the AtGames association is going to be a problem. The market they're targeting with this is far broader than the market segment who would recognise the name and what it implies. This will succeed or fail regardless of whatever we think about it.

I may be in a minority on this one, but I've never understood the appeal of the "mini" footprint. My ideal machine would be more akin to the AtGame's Flashback, something that looks and feels more like the real thing, but with the trimmings of a modern implementation (save states, HDMI etc). I get where you're coming from though, and agree that if it has to be a mini (because reasons?) then a cartridge slot would be philosophically untenable.
    The bigger problem is that even the Firecore-based AtGames consoles had Sega branding all over them. And look at the box from last year's version. It's prominently Sega and basically not AtGames. People will remember these.

ca3e5bb3-282b-4536-9031-fb1a40e9944a_2.9175db536b0e111f5a6650553cfe70f5.jpg

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by nv0bdizc View Post
    Those companies assume, correctly I believe, that most people will spend much less time actually playing and more time "appreciating it" (showing off) on their shelve. You know, a conversation starter.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Not from a gaming PoV, but it surely is way prettier and can he hold in multiple ways unlike smaller 6B (I even played it on my knee almost as if it were an arcade machine, not using opposing fingers at all.

Also BATMAN.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information