Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Raycommend's Channel - A learning experiment in fun.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

YouTube Raycommend's Youtube Channel

Hello there!

Welcome to the dedicated thread for videos uploaded to my channel. Most will be game and/or tech related. I don't plan to make it a drama channel, and will mostly stick to positive material.

It was originally meant to be a learning experience as I taught myself how to edit & create media, and I found that I really enjoy media creation.

I'm no Game Sack, but I strive to improve a bit with every video. The current video is an unboxing for the physical copy of the Nintendo Switch port of I Am Setsuna.

Still working on a definite review style (no imitating the AVGN for example) that I feel comfortable with as tech enthusiast, gamer, and journalism major.

Thanks for checking it out, and I always appreciate views, comments, and advice.
    Last edited by avlon; 09-12-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Power Base Mini review

Water Margin Review - Sega Genesis

Best options to play Gameboy Advance on your TV (unscripted)

Genesis does what Nintendon't - Homebrew Edition (recreation of the old commercial with new games)

Special thanks to Matt Phillips (Tanglewoods creator) for guest starring!!

$10 HDMI adapter for the Wii overview.

Pardon my voice in this one, I was sick but really wanted to put something out.

Recent experiment in putting together a professional news piece. *Not tech or gaming related*

A buddy recreated some Streets of Rage 2 pieces, so I edited into some actual gameplay.

She's very talented IMO. Literally recreated the whole track by ear in about an hour, and a cool-as-heck lady who loves retro games.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Best options to play Gameboy Advance on your TV (unscripted)

Have you considered getting a Game Gear/SMS adapter for the Retron 5? I don't mind the picture quality, but the lag of which you speak does worry me. How bad is it?

^I've thought about it, but can't justify the adapter at the moment due to the price and my GG collection being limited to just Columns.

Lag is a tricky thing to measure since everyone's TV handles it differently. Generally, it's a few milliseconds, which usually won't affect RPG's, Puzzle, or Strategy games too much. Fighting and Platformers are a different story though.

A good trick is to use the slow motion option on your phone to record yourself pressing a button with the tv behind it to see how much of a delay there is.

Nintendo Switch/Gameboy/PSP/3DS/Neogeo Pocket/iPhone/DS/GBA versus direct sunlight comparison.

Is it playable?

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Water Margin Review - Sega Genesis
    Probably the only minded review about Water Margin I've seen.

I agree with pretty much everything you said regarding the game itself.

People are so stupid they seem to like to trash games which were unlicensed releases for no good reason.
    The is good, looks great for the most part, plays above average and it's fun in 2P; just like you said.

Thanks. I appreciate your thoughts on the review. I strive to be as fair, and detailed as possible when involving something that may be a significant investment to the viewer.

I noticed that a lot of up-and-coming reviewers, and even some veterans don't actually review things. They do overviews, and call those reviews.

For example, reviews on the RetroUSB AVS. I haven't seen ANYONE mention the "green strip" cart problem that plagues the console due to the poor connector. For $175 NES, it's something that's pretty important to a buyer, especially when it affects fairly popular titles like Dragon Warrior, Bubble Bobble, and even some revisions of Megaman 2 & Tetris (among others). Yet, when I pointed this out to another reviewer, the guy wanted to debate me about it, basically making it seem that it's ok because it can be somewhat bypassed by purchasing another piece of equipment such as a Game Genie (which is already built in), or wiggling your cart to a nearly funky angle in order to get the game playable.

Now, the good news is that it will be addressed as soon as new parts come in from China, but obviously, this had to be a known issue while pre-orders were happening. There should have been a disclaimer of some type.

Generally, I loved Anandtech's review style. He used to go into such great detail on things, that one didn't just get a review, it was like a course. I learned a lot off his site back in the early 2000's. Not that long ago, when the Asus Transformer tablet was released, he was the only reviewer that caught the huge bottleneck that would slow the tablet to a crawl making it nearly useless after a few days/weeks of use. This is something that all other reviewers conveniently "missed" on what was a $600 device.

I'll always strive to be fair, while looking to see where manufacturers cut corners that may affect your pocket as a consumer. Of course, I'll try to be entertaining as I do that, which should only improve with time.

The Nintendo Switch gets some new Controller options fro 8bitdo.

NES Contra with Ninja Gaiden style cutscenes - FULL playthrough!

It's a shame that most of the world lost out on Contra's cutscenes and story.

I left everything intact. Apologies for the low voice quality on my end. This was my 1st live stream, and I'm still getting a feel for how to best set up my tablet for it.

Thread Information