Quantcast

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis/Megadrive Mini (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Will it run carts?
    of course not. And of course there won't be any CD nor 32x titles on it. This us just the retro market gaining traction, not a geek/nerd/completist oriented product. And the sound will be the one from a MD2, because that is what most people remember. I am curious as how they are going to handle 720p hdmi dithering, though...
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Nope, it's a normal sized controller. The person is just very tiny. I rather thought the mini would be a cart free affair, but just wondered if anyone had heard anything.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    And the sound will be the one from a MD2, because that is what most people remember..
    FUCK

finally, flicky in HD.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I'm suspecting they might involve M2, since they've been Sega's go-to team when it comes to the retro IPs. If so, that would be awesome.
    Thunder Force IV port on Switch is seriously fantastic! I have not played Sonic and not planning to buy it. I'm most impressed how smooth TFIV runs and the sound. They fucking got the sound perfect!

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Road Rasher

of course not. And of course there won't be any CD nor 32x titles on it. This us just the retro market gaining traction, not a geek/nerd/completist oriented product. And the sound will be the one from a MD2, because that is what most people remember. I am curious as how they are going to handle 720p hdmi dithering, though...
    Care to explain where you got this info that it will sound like the MD2?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by netpredakonn View Post
    Care to explain where you got this info that it will sound like the MD2?
    He's just expressing his fears

Could always be a MD3 with its mono sound :​P

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    He's just expressing his fears
    Exactly, but based on what we are seeing so far: mini consoles just play the nostalgia card, and unfiltered MD2 sound is what most people remember, so that's what market is demanding. Same argument for CD/32X.

So how will it handle dithering at hdmi 720/1080p?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

It will have genesis 1 VA7 sound :P hahahaha

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

unfiltered MD2 sound is what most people remember
    What causes you to think this? My guess would be that most people don't have any memory of the specifics of the sound. Particularly the sort who would buy this for sake of nostalgia.

But in particular, the MD2 sold way less than the MD1 in Japan, and it seems that this is being developed in Japan...

If SEGA Japan had a bain, had a littlle of the old SEGA Magic and craziness and do what Nintendo doesn't. SEGA should make an all in one Model 1 Mega Drive and Mega CD mini complete with Powerbase converter and include a collection of Master System, Mega Drive and Mega CD games.
    That would be so cool and so SEGA
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Master of Shinobi

and not 32X? Why the heck not? What a racist thing to say, hehe. Poor 32X. Also, if you are putting those CD games that require hardware that was not present on the original MD, why wouldn't they put Game Gear games on it, as it has a better exclusives catalog than SMS? That's the nerd completist dream I was talking about. It would require a lot of R&D and salaries for a lesser return profit. This is just nonsene. It'll have some 20 to 40 beloved games and no, it won't always be the REV or region we'd like for each one.

Game Gear was meant to be played on the move, so that would kind of make it pointless. Wouldn't say no to a 32X.Only that most of its games aren't great and it looks pig ugly as a set up.

Also currently emu is so good, that Mega Drive, Mega CD, Master System are perfectly emulated. even on moddest systems like Android phones or raspberry pi
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Hi! First post here after a few months sneaking

Great news that Sega is willing to launch this worldwide, and without AtGames. I thought they would ask Retro-bit (as they're making the controllers), but "in-house" makes me feel more confident about the product quality.

I really hope they go for MD1 sound emulation, and that it comes with 6button controllers instead of 3button!

I replied to Sega Twitter account's delay announcement to see if they'd like an UI I made for my Raspberry pi, but I think they'll never know xD

https://twitter.com/molul82/status/1043106958218338304

The UI:

Thread Information