Quantcast

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis/Megadrive Mini (Official Thread)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Wouldn't any future (expected) retroarch implementations like the Nintendo/Sony Classics got "fix" the lag?
    It's possible the audio lag might be reduced on Retroarch, but then input lag will become a problem. Retroarch's anti-lag features require a lot of CPU power. Input lag is a problem when running Retroarch on the SNES Classic:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-inp...ation/4407/583

(note that the numbers are out of date for Retroarch PC, but should still apply to the SNES Classic)

There's another thread:
    https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1166521047069278208

The important takeaway is that there's somebody who can clear Ghouls'n'Ghosts three times a day:
    Komabayshi's favs: Ghouls 'n Ghosts, which he'd play while he waited for builds to compile and ended up clearing three times a day, six times a week, as well as Shinobi III, which he can no clear on the hardest difficulty with no shurikens thanks to all the practice he got
    (also it seems the article has an error and he meant the first Revenge of Shinobi, but eh, point stands)

OK, on a more serious note: USB hubs work as multitaps (but apparently which USB devices are allowed is whitelisted for the sake of reducing debugging?), they had to announce the delay ahead of the PS Classic to avoid looking like a reaction to it (and watch Sony slam themselves against a brick wall). There's more stuff in that thread so I'll let you read it by yourselves :​v

Lag is really part and parcel of modern TV and gaming. I really don't see the big fuss, most emu games while not 100% perfect, are more than good or close enough. I think the same for the emu used in Konami collection and on the Snes and Neo Geo mini.
    To be honest, I find trying to set up and swap all the Scart sockets of the different consoles into the back of the CRT TV, more of a pain, to milliseconds of lag on a modern display. So much so, I really don't use my CRT at all (they all go throught the Frame) and just keep the CRT TV for the 'odd' occasion, I fancy playing House of the Dead II or Virtual Cop via the light guns.

What I really like about having the old consoles set up is not only the look or the old game saves, but the feel of the joypads. No amount of emu can replicate the likes of SEGA's amazing 6 button Mega Drive pad or the uniqueness of the N64 and how it feels to hold
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The problem is that this is about 180ms worth of audio lag added by the Mini alone (the 11 frames of lag was when compared against a Mega Drive's actual output). Then there's the TV's own lag on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    The problem is that this is about 180ms worth of audio lag added by the Mini alone (the 11 frames of lag was when compared against a Mega Drive's actual output). Then there's the TV's own lag on top of that.
    Tbh I'm getting too old to worry about 180ms worth of lag. I own the Orginal Mega Drive and Snes and tbh I've no issue playing Castlevania or the Contra collections on my One X compared to playing them on an actual Mega drive or Snes. I really couldn't careless that's it's not 100% perfect, it's more than close enough. For the Mega Drive Mini, I really can't see me playing much of Tetris to be honest . Like I said before, I hope SEGA follows suit and makes a DC and Saturn mini and gets M2 to handle to coding
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

EEvmkxuUYAM2pVm.jpg
    EEwSImEUwAAIdZy.jpgEEwSIrrU8AEhsVm.jpg

Here are some photos from the Mega Drive Mini pre release party. Courtesy of Yuji Naka's twitter.

I played a bit on the mini and all I could notice was slight input lag.

Yeah, it's reported to have about 6 or so frames (100ms) of input lag. Pretty standard for emulation. Most people probably won't notice at that level.

I don't care about the lag.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the Japanese version gets 6 button controllers while the version being released here will have 3 button controllers. That's unfair. So I'm thinking about boycotting it, though I still like Sega and want to support them, so my feelings are ambivalent.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the Japanese version gets 6 button controllers while the version being released here will have 3 button controllers. That's unfair. So I'm thinking about boycotting it, though I still like Sega and want to support them, so my feelings are ambivalent.
    I feel your pain. Everybody was going to get the 6-button controller, but Sega of America/Sega of Europe apparently insisted on having the 3-button.

I'm watching a streamer on Twitch and he's played for about 45 min and the A button is sticking on the controller.

Project Lunar already has dumped the kernal, and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post

Buy the japanese version, since you can change the region of the games it will no make difference. You lose Toejam & Earl but wins Alien Soldier and Yuyu Hakusho.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by maxi View Post
    Buy the japanese version, since you can change the region of the games it will no make difference. You lose Toejam & Earl but wins Alien Soldier and Yuyu Hakusho.
    Japanese version as far as I'm aware doesn't have Alien soldier, as far as I can tell it's on the Asian/China edition. Though that version lacks YuYu Hakusho.

Master of Shinobi

and you loose A LOT of great games that are NOT on any other version than the western one.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information