Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: I reviewed Piko Interactive's Brave Battle Saga

  1. #1
    Outrunner stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    19

    Default I reviewed Piko Interactive's Brave Battle Saga

    Hey everyone,

    This week I reviewed the Piko Interactive edition of Brave Battle Saga and I thought you guys might be interested in it:

    Please check out my YouTube channel

  2. #2
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Dang! I didn't know $45 was expensive!

  3. #3
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,514
    Rep Power
    103

    Default

    $45 is a good price for a pressed CD game with manual.

    I'm happy to pay $100+ for CIB copies of new cart games that worthwhile. Even Intellivision games with tiny rom sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  4. #4
    Outrunner stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    $45 is a good price for a pressed CD game with manual.

    I'm happy to pay $100+ for CIB copies of new cart games that worthwhile. Even Intellivision games with tiny rom sizes.
    To be fair, I don't buy modern games at full price either. I generally wait until they're in the 20-30 USD range.

    Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Dang! I didn't know $45 was expensive!
    It's a bit on the pricey side for me, but I did recommend people buy it regardless.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  5. #5
    Outrunner CrossBow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Ivory Tower Collections
    Posts
    697
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Yeah...most new Genesis releases I've picked up have been well over $60 for them so really to get that complete a package for a Genesis/MD game for $45 seems like a pretty good deal to me.

    It's really strange because I could have sworn based on the screenshots of this from the Piko website I thought it was a turn tile based strategy RPG like shining force. But I guess having never played the Breath of Fire games on the SNES I didn't know that perspective was used for games like this.

  6. #6
    Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    US
    Posts
    680
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    I regret I didn't get to fix up the script for this. Piko gave me the offer to polish it more, but I was too busy and never got around to it before he relented to just release it as-is, so it's no different from the old patch that used to be up on Romhacking. I'm glad people are at least happy enough with the purchase, though
    I'm Pro A'can

  7. #7
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SBlaise84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    So aside from the swapped out sprites, and whatever physical goodies I assume they're throwing in, there's really no reason not to just play the translated rom. Good thing I got the patch before RHDN was forced to take it down...

  8. #8
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,514
    Rep Power
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    So aside from the swapped out sprites, and whatever physical goodies I assume they're throwing in, there's really no reason not to just play the translated rom. Good thing I got the patch before RHDN was forced to take it down...
    Supporting developers and publishers and encouraging more productions that you can't necessarily pirate, because they don't yet exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  9. #9
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SBlaise84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well my feeling here is this is not an original IP, and someone (several someones?) spent a long time working on the english patch, only for Piko to come along and buy the IP and force the patch to be taken down so they could sell their own version.

    And according to Bramsworth, the script is the SAME as the patch. So is it pirating Piko's product if I'm using a pre-existing Chinese (I think it was Chinese, don't feel like double checking ) rom and patch? I'm not playing a rom dumped from their cart.

  10. #10
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    345
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    We paid the creator of the patch and the translator. But good luck emulating and having a subpar experience stealing money from indie devs and publishers!

  11. #11
    Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Vancouver
    Age
    42
    Posts
    4,514
    Rep Power
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    Well my feeling here is this is not an original IP, and someone (several someones?) spent a long time working on the english patch, only for Piko to come along and buy the IP and force the patch to be taken down so they could sell their own version.

    And according to Bramsworth, the script is the SAME as the patch. So is it pirating Piko's product if I'm using a pre-existing Chinese (I think it was Chinese, don't feel like double checking ) rom and patch? I'm not playing a rom dumped from their cart.
    Buying new published 16-bit games encourages publishers to invest in more. This includes totally new IPs, localizations, etc.

    Not supporting publishers of small classic gaming community software discourages them. In particular, if larger more ambitious games are ignored, we won't see any more.

    With all of that being true and proven by the reception to various new game productions, it is an entirely different thing to advocate not buying a game and instead pirating it, instead of just not commenting at all.

    You can't pirate any of the games that won't be created because of developers and publishers being swayed to not waste their time.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

  12. #12
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SBlaise84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Let me preface this by saying I'm honestly not here for an argument, and am not advocating piracy of Indie games.

    My point, in this PARTICULAR case, is that the rom and translation both existed prior to Piko releasing their version, which then forced a take down of the patch.

    Am I supposed to not play them even though I had them well BEFORE Piko's version came out??? Must I now buy and only play their new version???

    Also, I am not a huge fan of the fact that Piko, or any other company, can take a look at the translation landscape, find a game that they can get the rights to, and subsequently force all future players of said game to ONLY purchase the released physical copy (assuming they have the hardware, the extra money to burn, and that they can get a copy since it's not always possible due to limited runs, etc).

    I greatly enjoy fan translations (many of which can be very high quality and take years to come out with multiple updates) of Japanese games via emulation for several systems. Piko's business model makes it possible to randomly kill my and others' enjoyment of some of those translations, unless we now want to spend $50+ on a cart. I'm worried that more well known games could end up like this, which severely limits who can enjoy them.

    Now I know I'm just an evil pirate who's ruining the Indie Dev scene by not buying their $50-$60 Genesis games, but I hope I've made it clear that I'm talking mostly about this one specific game and my dislike of the patch being taken down, as well as the precedent it sets.

    Again, I am not pirating nor advocating the piracy of this version of the game. Anyone who wants to buy it should do so. All power to Piko and other companies for serving the retro gaming community.

    Ending rant, now...

  13. #13
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    98
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    For my reality is very expensive, about everything in my country the real costs 4 dollars and the salary is around 242 dollars, however I think perfectly fair.
    First to get the licenses, which often bump into the language barrier of the publisher (Asian), making cartridges today is also not something common.
    And finally it is not more important to translate and transport the game to be in accordance with the copyright, since it often has material used from other games.

    I even criticized Piko for the physical quality of some release, I think some criticism is important to make things better.
    And it seems that Piko is looking at the criticisms and greatly improving the quality of the final product, Brave Battle Saga as shown by stika friend's great review, has cool art, beautifull manual and a great improvement on the cartridge label, not to mention the good translation and work on sprites, colors and music.

    Yes I am no friend of Piko and they do not need defense,
    but spoken the factors already presented the value is right.
    I hope future releases, and who knows someday they will not get the rights to Eliminate Down?
    Impossible?
    But it would be great.

  14. #14
    Outrunner stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chev Chelios View Post
    For my reality is very expensive, about everything in my country the real costs 4 dollars and the salary is around 242 dollars, however I think perfectly fair.
    First to get the licenses, which often bump into the language barrier of the publisher (Asian), making cartridges today is also not something common.
    And finally it is not more important to translate and transport the game to be in accordance with the copyright, since it often has material used from other games.

    I even criticized Piko for the physical quality of some release, I think some criticism is important to make things better.
    And it seems that Piko is looking at the criticisms and greatly improving the quality of the final product, Brave Battle Saga as shown by stika friend's great review, has cool art, beautifull manual and a great improvement on the cartridge label, not to mention the good translation and work on sprites, colors and music.

    Yes I am no friend of Piko and they do not need defense,
    but spoken the factors already presented the value is right.
    I hope future releases, and who knows someday they will not get the rights to Eliminate Down?
    Impossible?
    But it would be great.

    I think Brave Battle Saga is probably their best physical release so far, though I still had some misgivings with it. I can't I liked the art as it felt too far detached from the actual game. It also had some odd tonal issues here and there.

    With that said, they did greatly improve since my first review of their games. Water Margin had bits of plastic sticking out and Duke Nukem 3D's cartridge felt very flimsy. Brave Battle Saga's cartridge on the other hand feels solid, sturdy and well made.

    I feel all they need to do now is nail the tone. Given the feedback I've received it may seem split, but there's definitely a significant portion who didn't like the cover art for example, I would have preferred something that more closely resembles the game. The manual also had some odd tonal shifts.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  15. #15
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Could it be that the Piko Interactive version has some kind of copy protection? I tried to dump the game with my Retrode to play it on an emulator but half of the time i get a 64 kByte file which is obviously corrupt data and the other half i get a 2 MByte file which doesn't work. I tried several Genesis/Mega Drive emulators and also differend versions of them but they only show a black screen. I tried to dump another game like Phantasy Star 4 which worked, so my Retrode is definitely OK.

    Also what are the differences between the Piko version and the prior version of the fan translation? I am playing the pre-Piko version at the moment and i only spotted a different color pallet of the main characters battle sprite to match the colors of his field sprite. The remaining graphics and the text seems to be identical so far.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •