Quantcast

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: New project: New background graphics for SSF2

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Default Project: New background graphics for SSF2

Hi!
    Inspired by the great work of Stef and Pyron, specially for improve street fighter 2, Im working (slowly) for insert the blanka background of SSF2 for other one using arcade material as source.

As gasega68K pointed (Thanks gasega!), backgrounds of SSF2 are uncompressed and now there exists very powerful tools which let to a newbie like me try do a hack.(At least for this very specific and simple case).

I been peeking in the rom and for blanka stage, one palette is shared between two planes A and B. Second palette is used for only a plane for clouds, water and sky and also 4 colors of second palette are reserved for the life bar and counter.

So I a created a new graphics "layer" respecting restrictions for fit the way that developers choose distribute the two palettes in the game. The blue color of sky will be the only one shared between the two palettes.

Im inserting a stretched version of the following optimized 16 color background in the SSF2 rom:

subir foto

Im using blue sky like new invisible color for the front plane (Front plane: The green tree, serpent, characters and house with the fish). For some reason Capcom used black color as invisible color (color zero). Black color is not good for this purpose

If someone wish give a fast look in the rom, I found the blanka background palettes location. It start in address: hex 477542. The first one 16 palette entries are used for the graphics for the "layer" that I posted and then appear 3 repeated palettes except for a color used for do the change of colors in water.

I did some tests mostly for try to see if I was capable of acomplish a hack with the tools avalaible. Then I realized that I can! I started to insert the new floor in the rom and the new color/graphics of floor look good!

I prefer not post the hack yet because I had to change old palette entries by the new ones from my pic, so, graphics which belong to the "layer" that I posted and are not inserted yet look like garbage. I will post the rom/patch when I finish (hopefully) to insert the complete layer.

I can do this only on weekends and Im very slooow. So dont hope for a fast realize, sorry!.

Any technical advice /help will be welcome. I understand that high caliber hacker/coders from this forum are busy with their own projects but maybe some of you guys can give me some technical advice if I have some trouble.
    Wish me good luck.

Also, someone can point me to a page with ripped layer graphics of blanka stage? Or at least an emulator which emulates acurate colors for rip the graphics? I only found a complete screenshot of blanka stage on the net.

Maybe some people thinks that the game dont worth the effort because their rushed graphics and music. But finally is the rushed graphics which motivate me to give it a chance.
    Last edited by maxxfarras; 09-07-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Splendid initiative my friend!

I hope you cheer up and do that for all scenarios the game because he really needs.
    I think with this project this game will become playable again for me, so I'll be here watching and supporting you, good luck!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxxfarras View Post
    Also, someone can point me to a page with ripped layer graphics of blanka stage? Or at least an emulator which emulates acurate colors for rip the graphics? I only found a complete screenshot of blanka stage on the net.
    I don't think such a site even exists, all the sprite/backgrounds rippers all follow the same pattern.

1. Go through lots of work ripping a background.
    2. Paste it all into one image.
    3. Save as jpeg.
    4. Upload on a site and proclaim your love for said game.

I guess you could rip the art from a Mugen background file, but even then you don't know if its the Arcade version
    or Snes or PS1 or NES pirate rom!! or worse.. A COMBINATION OF ALL OF THEM INTO ONE HORRIFIC FRANKENBACKGROUND!

Road Rasher

This is awesome maxxfarras. I dont have the skill or knowledge to help you, but will follow this very closely.

Hero of Algol

Great initiative, maxxfarras!

Yeah, that tool gasega68k recommended is really useful. When the graphics are decompressed it helps a lot to change the palette references of things (to do that by tracing the 68K and hacking the ROM manually is extremely laborious most of the time).
    Some SFII:SCE backgrounds are kinda busted too. They seem to be unnecessarily posterized to the point of replacing art details with solid colors - Chun Li's stage is a good example of that.
    However, in the specific case of SFII:SCE, I think it would be more efficient to have a pixel artist editing the few tiles which are problematic instead of re-importing everything; given that not all backgrounds look bad and sometimes it's just part of the background which is problematic.

With that said, I'm very happy to see more people in our community engaging this kind of task and your project is very interesting. SSFII backgrounds look really bad IMO; Cammy's and Dee Jay's are the ones I dislike the most.
    Please, let me know if you need help with anything. I'm not a tech guru like some guys around here but I can give you some help if it's something I can investigate using the 68K tracer.

By the way, the Gens mod by r_57shell (Russian hacker) already saves the palette of a given screen of the game in a YY-CHR friendly format (.pal).
    Here's a link to it: http://elektropage.ru/programs/Gens_r57shell_mod.7z
    You can find the palette file generation feature from the menu by accessing: Tools->VDP RAM. There you will see several buttons with different functions and there's a "YY-CHR" one which does what I said.
    This palette tool also helps you to find MD VDP's compatible colors from any image (not 100% correct color matching all the time but it's very helpful for sure): http://elektropage.ru/programs/6_Palette.rar

Keep us posted, please. And good luck!

If you're looking for rips of sprites and backgrounds, you want The Spriters Resource. If you can't find something there, it almost certainly doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    1. Go through lots of work ripping a background.
    2. Paste it all into one image.
    3. Save as jpeg.
    4. Upload on a site and proclaim your love for said game.
    I would hope that saving as a JPEG would NEVER be part of the process.

One of best ways for you is open the emulator and activate/disable the layers of you want, and take the shot.

Is easy to take the information you want, like this.

I do it in 15 sec using winkawaks

ding-doaw Raging in the Streets tomaitheous's Avatar

What Pyron said. Been doing that for years (for ripping mame game graphics). Some versions of mame also have a mode where you can view the isolated layers - as a whole and not just the screen (i.e. the whole map file). I did this to rip SF2:CE layers before in mame, though it's been quite a few years since.

Of course, you could also disable layers and constantly take snapshots and rebuild it later in a photo editor. Though that's more of a pain.
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 09-08-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    What Pyron said. Been doing that for years (for ripping mame game graphics). Some versions of mame also have a mode where you can view the different layers - as a whole and not just the screen (i.e. the whole map file). I did this to rip SF2:CE layers before in mame, though it's been quite a few years since.

Of course, you could also disable layers and constantly take snapshots and rebuild it later in a photo editor. Though that's more of a pain.
    tomaitheous are you doing the enhanced PCE SF2 CE version?

For some years I see many fans PCE putting photos of the improved scenarios Guile and Ryu versions, however, have never seen anything else.
    I've looked videos, alphas, betas and nothing. You know how is the project now? seemed very promising!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    tomaitheous are you doing the enhanced PCE SF2 CE version?

For some years I see many fans PCE putting photos of the improved scenarios Guile and Ryu versions, however, have never seen anything else.
    I've looked videos, alphas, betas and nothing. You know how is the project now? seemed very promising!
    I have some private builds, but the new graphics are larger than what will fit back into the cart (expanding the cart means making a special mapper setup. two emulators support this but everdrive cart does not). It requires me putting in Pucrunch (lzss) depacker code in the rom, which I haven't done yet. It currently uses a crappy RLE type compression, which doesn't compress them very well. The lzss replacement files easily fit back in size, but like I said - I need to hack in the decompressor (which basically means finding free space in the code areas of the rom, and finding 512bytes free in ram to make a ring buffer for directly decompressing to vram). Much more work than MD SF2:SCE background/tile replacement. I have too many projects (like megaman nes2pce stuffs, translations, homebrew) and not enough time

Here's hoping we see some BG improvement for both SF2 games on the MD. You guys shouldn't be concerned with just getting close to the original. Mix it up with a few things; improve them. We did that for the PCE new BGs (the clouds for Blanka's stage look awesome, same for the sky in Guile's stage).

(left to right: PCE org, snes, genesis org, PCE new)

(pce org, pce new)

How are you guys handling the reformatting and repacking it back into the rom (I don't mean compression)? Do you have tools so that you're not limited to 16(15) colors per layer? I.e. tilemap reference to either of the two subpalettes.

Stef: how hard would it be to setup your emulator to monitor the cpu resource during the frame of the game? I.e. there's probably a point where the game sits and waits for the vblank variable change flag (idle loop). I'm curious how much spare cpu resource is available per frame. Might be able to hack in an H-int routine and do single color changes down the screen (like for vertical gradients of sky and such).
    Last edited by tomaitheous; 09-08-2014 at 01:41 PM.

I understand what you said... but the first time what i see that is in 2005 and later in 2008 and now we are in 2014.

I think everyone who likes the PCE care more about the SF2CE the corrected version that is seemingly wonderful, than a Megaman equal to the Nes running on the platform.
    This is true since I've seen these screens on their various websites from various different languages ​​and still post this stuff on the forums that I participate.
    I'm not trying to criticize you or anything, but it seems that you have a lot of knowledge that is being used in several things but is lacking a bit of focus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I understand what you said... but the first time what i see that is in 2005 and later in 2008 and now we are in 2014.

I think everyone who likes the PCE care more about the SF2CE the corrected version that is seemingly wonderful, than a Megaman equal to the Nes running on the platform.
    This is true since I've seen these screens on their various websites from various different languages ​​and still post this stuff on the forums that I participate.
    I'm not trying to criticize you or anything, but it seems that you have a lot of knowledge that is being used in several things but is lacking a bit of focus.
    I won't argue with that I love coding and hacking, so I get involved in a lot of stuff. The Megaman game is getting a whole new upgrade though (more than just the original); I hacked a lot of the original game to now support PCE features (larger sprite sizes, more frames, more tiles/details, much more colors, cd audio, etc). It took a lot of work and time. The idea is to have Megaman on PCE like the remade ones for Megadrive. If I had put the same amount of work/time into PCE SF2, it'd be done already :/

But enough of that crap. Back on topic. I think the H-int hack idea wouldn't be too hard to pull off and would add some extra color to the BGs.

Quote Originally Posted by tomaitheous View Post
    Stef: how hard would it be to setup your emulator to monitor the cpu resource during the frame of the game? I.e. there's probably a point where the game sits and waits for the vblank variable change flag (idle loop). I'm curious how much spare cpu resource is available per frame. Might be able to hack in an H-int routine and do single color changes down the screen (like for vertical gradients of sky and such).
    Monitoring idle time is not always easy as idle loop can be weird sometime (and i am not maintaining Gens since a long time now)
    I guess it would be easier to hack game to directly display free time with background color change. I think a big part of the frame is available *but* the game is already using the hint to change window register and probably extends the blank area. I don't see the goal of reprogramming window registers during frame as the window is only used to display energy bar, but i did not investigated much. Still because of that, we cannot really setup a gradient from line 0, it should start at line 32 or 40 to avoid any conflict with the window setup code.

rent a hero! Road Rasher maxxfarras's Avatar

Thanks all you guys for your replies, support and help. Any info is valuable.

Pyron and tomaitheous thanks for the hints. I will check the winkawaks emulator, looks like it emulates more acurate colors than the version of mame that I use.

I will try to fix a little the pic that I posted tryingto do it less yellowish using more acurate arcade colors as reference.

And Barone, I will check again the tools that you suggest me next weekend. Load the palette dont worked for me. Maybe I did something wrong. This wekeend I will check more carefully again. The more options of tools the better!

Here's hoping we see some BG improvement for both SF2 games on the MD. You guys shouldn't be concerned with just getting close to the original. Mix it up with a few things; improve them. We did that for the PCE new BGs (the clouds for Blanka's stage look awesome, same for the sky in Guile's stage).
    Hehe. I love the pc engine even when I dont have the nostalgia factor. Its a very charismatic console IMO. I could love see other graphics/color hacks for this machine.
    Tomaitheous, The color gradient and clouds of your hack for pc engine looks great. Do you changed the color gradient using h-int effects or only inserted new graphics?

Could be great improve even more the MD background in relation to the arcade. However, I can fix graphics but a good pixel artist could be necesary to help me. No sure if I could acomplish good original art. Also I must work for finish the fix of the horizontal stretched version of the pic for fit it in the rom. The floor stretched looks good but the green tree looks distorted. Im using bicubic resample for reduce the pic. By the way, do you know a better tool for reduce this kind of graphics with little distortion?

How are you guys handling the reformatting and repacking it back into the rom (I don't mean compression)? Do you have tools so that you're not limited to 16(15) colors per layer? I.e. tilemap reference to either of the two subpalettes.
    No, I dont have such tools. Or at least dont know if the tool that I use include it.
    Do you coded a tool like that?. Could it be great use something like that. (If Im capable of understand how use it).

Honestly Im not a hacker. This is mi first attempt of hack. I just had coded some little demos for the sega master system. That's all. Tile molester, a graphics editor and palette hacks is the only that I use and I just becoming familiar with that tools very recently. Not dissasembly, not recode tilemaps. Honestly, anyone with a very minimal knowledge can acomplish that Im doing in this case. But hey, at least I think that it can get the work done.

Could be great use h-int for get sky gradents. But that hack is beyond of me. However, If some real hacker like you or some one else wish acomplish that task Im open to include it in my hack. (Not a request, just saying ).
    Last edited by maxxfarras; 09-09-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    hay que tomar el control del descontrol.

Thread Information