Quantcast

Thread: Virtua Worm 2 - Genesis homebrew release

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Default Virtua Worm 2 - Genesis homebrew release

A few years ago I came out with Virtua Worm, which was my own take on an old web game called Nibblet. Late last year, I started work on the sequel. I've been working off and on (mostly off!) but I'm finally done with it.

Virtua Worm 2 is more than just the old game with new levels. Virtua Worm 2 has slightly different gameplay rules than the first game. In this game, you must collect a set number of food rather than clearing the whole stage. After collecting a piece of food, another will spawn in a random location. The stage is finished after you collect a predetermined amount of food. In addition, you can collect a frenzy orb which increases you speed and spawns additional food.

There have been some improvements from the last game, notably:
    Game now runs at correct speed on PAL consoles
    Beep sound effect from food
    New level transition effect
    Some code optimization
    Level data is more efficiently stored and is now 37.5% smaller.
    Bug fixes

The biggest thing (in my opinion) is the stage creator with save backup. I learned some lessons from my old gravity pig level creator and hope this one works out better. You can play by the old rules or the new rules with custom created stages.

Using the stage creator:
    The editor has two modes: SELECT MODE, and EDIT MODE. You switch between these modes by pressing START. This might be familiar to uses of old CLI text editors like vi.
    In select mode, you choose which tile you want to lay down, and change the background music.
    In edit mode, you lay down tiles, and delete tiles.

Controls:

Edit mode:
    D-pad - move cursor within stage
    A - Move cursor quickly when held (see extra notes)1
    B - Place selected block to targeted area
    C - Erase targeted block

Select mode:
    D-pad - move cursor to select items (no need to press a button to select, just hover)
    A - Same as edit mode
    B - Save stage and continue editing
    C - Save stage and play

When you're finished:

Press C while in select mode to play your stage. You will be asked to choose between the old Virtua Worm 1 rules or new Virtua Worm 2 rules.(see notes)2. You must also set your starting location. The stage will be saved to SRAM and the game will begin. Press START while playing to return to the editor.

Extra notes:
    1. You can hold down A while placing or deleting tiles to quickly draw or erase large lines.
    2. The goal with old rules is to collect all food in the stage without dying. Additional food will not spawn. New rules spawns a new food piece in a random location after each one is eaten, and the game runs until you die.
    3. Music is changed by moving the cursor the green numbers below the tile selecton while in select mode.
    4. Every wall tile blocks player movement all the same, large variety is only given for aesthetic reasons.
    5. The green "X" tile is an invisible dead zone. This can be used prevent food from spawning in closed off spaces.

Admittedly, the editor pretty clunky. There are a lot of things I could improve on next time. It does work though, and stages can be made quickly once get used to switching between edit and select mode.

Video:

Download link: http://mode5.net/download/Virtua%20Worm%202.bin
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I finally had the chance to play this last night in Fusion and on a flash cart. Seems really cool, its the type of game that makes sense on the system, I never thought too highly of Link Dragon so its good to have a decent snake game. I played all the way through the last version of VirtuaWorm, but I'm having trouble with this one for some reason, seems harder than I expected but I'll get it done in the end.
    I tried the level editor, it must have taken forever to get that part working.

I'm not sure why so few people have replied to this thread, people need to appreciate the homebrew that comes along and I think this is a cool project that's obviously had a decent amount of work put into it.
    I command you to rise from your grave, use steroids and run around in your underwear kicking dogs.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I finally had the chance to play this last night in Fusion and on a flash cart. Seems really cool, its the type of game that makes sense on the system, I never thought too highly of Link Dragon so its good to have a decent snake game. I played all the way through the last version of VirtuaWorm, but I'm having trouble with this one for some reason, seems harder than I expected but I'll get it done in the end.
    I tried the level editor, it must have taken forever to get that part working.

I'm not sure why so few people have replied to this thread, people need to appreciate the homebrew that comes along and I think this is a cool project that's obviously had a decent amount of work put into it.
    Thanks for trying it out! Difficulty is something hard to get right. Some levels seem easy to me, but might be waaay too hard for someone else, and levels I think are challenging might be too easy.

The level creator had some challenges, but I had a good time working on it. In-game level editors have always fascinated me, especially the ones in the Tony Hawk games. I'm hoping it isn't too clunky or confusing for people. I wasn't sure about the best way to make a user interface that worked well on a 3 button controller.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I like much the incredible OST!

Thanks Comrade!

Nice comrade, laso the music is very well done, congratulations!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Thread Information