Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blast16: an emulator frontend inspired by Mega Drive

Road Rasher

Looks awesome! Considering to order a megapi case and use this! Only thing i would criticize, the menu music is getting on my nerves! Can we put custom song, putting a playlist of classic sega tracks would be awesome (altered beast, sonic, streets of rage!)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Thanks! Regarding music, I'm afraid you can only disable it from the settings menu

Nameless One Silence The Fallen's Avatar

First off, I have to say thanks to molul. This is honestly one of the best front ends I have ever used and is just getting better as the days pass!

Having said that i'm having an issue and was hoping someone could help me out with my Blast16 build.

I have all my Genesis and 32x games and box art showing up and running perfectly. But I have spent the last several hours struggling to get Sega CD to run.

The Sega CD games and box art appear fine and show up just as they are supposed to along side the Genesis and 32x titles. When I select a Sega CD game instead of loading the game it goes to a frozen Sega CD bios screen.

Also, it doesn't seem to matter what version of the bios I use, it always shows a frozen Ver. 2.00 bios screen. Strange.

I have tried several different versions of the bios and tried several other things. I have double checked and triple checked everything but no luck.

My files are under:
    bios/bios_CD_U.bin
    games/cd/games in .bin .cue format (Also boxarts folder in this directory)

Any advice is welcome!

Okay... So I have it working, but its a little rough.

When I select a Sega CD game it loads to a frozen Ver. 2.00 bios screen as stated above.

While on that screen I discovered that if I use the hotkey+X 'reset', it then loads the bios file that I have in the directory (Ver. 1.10 in my case) and tells me to put in a disc and then press start. If I then press start it loads the game and works.

Is there some setting that I missed that loads the game properly. Some option or setting that I missed?

Okay.
    So I ran through several different bios packages and just about every different version of the Sega CD bios. I rebooted with the last bios that I copied over (Ver. 1.10) and now everything is thankfully working as normal!

I can't imagine that all the other bios that I tried were corrupt, but that's what it seems like. I didn't mess with any options or anything. But hey, I'm not complaining. Its working! Yay!

I do have a question though... Is bios Ver. 1.10 OK? Would I see an advantage of some sort with a latter bios like 2.00?

If not, then I think my build is complete.

Glad to see you got it working In the future, please remember that you can email blast16@tripware.es for help

PS: I don't know about BIOS 1.10 vs 2.00, though ^_^U

Quote Originally Posted by molul View Post
    PS: I don't know about BIOS 1.10 vs 2.00, though ^_^U
    Everything was working good with the ver. 1.10, but it wasn't the bios music I was used to... LOL. So I finally managed to find a Ver. 2.00 and swapped out the bios file and now when it loads a Sega CD game the bios plays the familiar tune of my child hood.

Thanks for the reply though and keep up the excellent work!

Road Rasher

Finally bought a megapi case, and set it up with blast 16, its awesome! I believe this will be better than the official new genesis mini! However, there is a feature that needs to be implemented badly: use start as hotkey OR save states from the menu like nes classic. Im using 6 button sega controller, and i setup the hotkey to mode button, problem is i always quit games because my finger sometimes rest on mode button and i quit games often (hotkey+c). When i setup hotkey to start, it goes in retroarch menu (hotkey +start). Very frustrating! Otherwise blast 16 is superb

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Finally bought a megapi case, and set it up with blast 16, its awesome! I believe this will be better than the official new genesis mini! However, there is a feature that needs to be implemented badly: use start as hotkey OR save states from the menu like nes classic. Im using 6 button sega controller, and i setup the hotkey to mode button, problem is i always quit games because my finger sometimes rest on mode button and i quit games often (hotkey+c). When i setup hotkey to start, it goes in retroarch menu (hotkey +start). Very frustrating! Otherwise blast 16 is superb
    Glad you liked it! Regarding your problem, other users in your situation have changed the hotkey button to Z and they seem to do fine. However, I'd strongly suggest getting a Retro-bit or 8bitdo 6 button controller. Saving states from the menu like the NES/SNES classic is not possible, I'm afraid

Hope it helps.

Road Rasher

Glad you liked it! Regarding your problem, other users in your situation have changed the hotkey button to Z and they seem to do fine. However, I'd strongly suggest getting a Retro-bit or 8bitdo 6 button controller. Saving states from the menu like the NES/SNES classic is not possible, I'm afraid

Hope it helps.
    I did buy the rero bit, but its exactly the same as a regular 6 button, no l and r and mode buttons on it. Z as hotkey is fine for saving and loading states, maybe to quit game hold a combo (a,b,c) for 3 seconds? Something like that would work! Games like street fighter would make you chnage slots constantly while pulling off shoryuken with z ! Holding button combo for 3 seconds sounds best to me

Ooops! What a pity. I know the 8-button "is not the same" but to me is nearly the same but with extra functionalities

I'm afraid the button combo you mention is not up to me. Retroarch allows hotkey+whatever button to perform an action. There's not 3 button combo or "holding" functionality.

Anyway, holding A+B+C for 3 seconds to quit game seems unnecessarily complex compared to just pressing hotkey+C, doesn't it?

But yeah, the save slot is definitely a PITA ^_^U I would consider getting a Retrobit 8-button controller!

Road Rasher

Ooops! What a pity. I know the 8-button "is not the same" but to me is nearly the same but with extra functionalities

I'm afraid the button combo you mention is not up to me. Retroarch allows hotkey+whatever button to perform an action. There's not 3 button combo or "holding" functionality.

Anyway, holding A+B+C for 3 seconds to quit game seems unnecessarily complex compared to just pressing hotkey+C, doesn't it?

But yeah, the save slot is definitely a PITA ^_^U I would consider getting a Retrobit 8-button controller!
    Then maybe change the hotkey+start to another button so we can use start as hotkey? Just sending suggestions your way to make it better, im sure a lot of people use regular genesis controllers too! Cant count how many times i quit games and its frustrating! Thanks for listening!

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Then maybe change the hotkey+start to another button so we can use start as hotkey? Just sending suggestions your way to make it better, im sure a lot of people use regular genesis controllers too! Cant count how many times i quit games and its frustrating! Thanks for listening!
    Well, to be honest, development stopped right after the last version (released a few days ago) because I have been offered some paid work (nothing related to programming), so, although I'm adding your request to my list for the future, I'm afraid I won't be able to develop it anytime soon

Thread Information