Quantcast

Thread: How do "Pal Boosters" work?

Wildside Expert

Default How do "Pal Boosters" work?

Right, so I have this old 8-bit machine that outputs ntsc video signal through s-video socket.

Most of my CRT monitors are PAL so I get picture, but in Black and White.

I was wondering if any of these 'pal booster' devices I see for sale (saturn/psx/DC) could be hacked.

But how do these work?

Is there some kind of frame/rate conversion involved? I thought these would somehow only change the color carrier frequency of chroma from ntsc to pal so that the tv or monitor shows a color picture but leave luma pretty much untouched (@60Hz), so that the end signal is PAL60?

Let's take this one for example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sega-Dreamc....c100290.m3507

I can make out that in the plug that the pins used for video are cvbs, Y and C.
    But from there on what happens?
    Output is RF or CVBS, so surely there is a RF modulator and some IC for mixing Y and C?
    I wonder if it is possible to hack that IC, get Y through RF modulator (disabled) and C through previously used CVBS socket?

On the other hand, how would the adapter perform if only C was the only signal fed into?
    Would the CVBS socket output C signal at pal color carrier frequency?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

I can't find a picture of the pcb of one of those things to see what chip(s) they use, so it's difficult to say.

Output is RF or CVBS, so surely there is a RF modulator and some IC for mixing Y and C?
    Probably yes.

I wonder if it is possible to hack that IC, get Y through RF modulator (disabled) and C through previously used CVBS socket?
    Why try to hack the thing when you can just bypass everything and attach incoming Y and C to the RF and composite RCA jack ?

On the other hand, how would the adapter perform if only C was the only signal fed into?
    You need luma too for generating a correct picture, so I'm guessing it's not going to work.

Would the CVBS socket output C signal at pal color carrier frequency?
    My guess is yes. NTSC or PAL don't have a different "encoding" for Chroma from what I could find, only the subcarrier is different: 4.43MHz for PAL, 3.58MHz for NTSC.
    They both use QAM to modulate chroma on top of luma.

The colorburst is also different on NTSC and PAL.
    I wonder what happens if you put the PAL colorburst signal on NTSC...?
    Last edited by pyroesp; 10-15-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Thread Information