Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dreamcast mini!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Dc Dreamcast mini!

These are all the rage and despite how unlikely we get a Saturn or Dreamcast Mini. It would be neat esp to those who never had the chance to. This is hypothetical. So let's just say 20 games and you get to choose those 20 games. Nothing is off limits. No matter how obscure or not. Just name your 20!

Life!? ... What console is that on?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Soul Calibur
    Mars Matrix
    Grandia 2
    Border Down
    Jet Grind Radio
    Air Force Delta
    Crazy Taxi 2
    Bass Fishing
    Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
    Ready 2 Rumble Boxing 2
    Power Stone 2
    REZ
    Skies of Arcadia
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Metropolis Street Racer
    Daytona
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 2
    Bangai-O
    Armada
    Shenmue
    Shenmue 2
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Outrunner

Soul Calibur
    Shenmue
    Shenmue 2
    Phantasy Star Online - hope it has Wi-fi
    Quake III Arena - see above
    Chu Chu Rocket - see above
    Jet Set Radio
    Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Ikaruga
    Power Stone 2
    Sonic Adventure
    Sega Marine Fishing (with rod)
    Crazy Taxi (must have Offspring soundtrack!)
    Virtua Tennis 2
    Grandia 2
    Skies of Arcadia
    Metropolis Street Racer
    F355 Challenge
    Rez
    Samba de Amigo (with maracas)

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Id rather see a saturn mini Since almost none of its games Have seen re-releases

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker troopa jr's Avatar

or a new mini console with games from both saturn and dreamcast would be nice too

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Id rather see a saturn mini Since almost none of its games Have seen re-releases
    Seems less likely, but I agree. Saturn also has a lot more very expensive titles that would be great to have on such a system.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Playstation Salvation? HD Retrovision PS2/PS3 Component Cable

Master of Shinobi

I'd rather see sequels to all those old and forgotten (by Sega...) franchises, because I own the originals and played them a ton, I don't need a badly emulated junk console version of the same games.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Isn't Saturn still considered mostly impossible to emulate accurately? It would be awful to see botched ports of NiGHTS games for example.

Not sure about DC emulation being accurate or not, but I certainly dislike emulated versions that compromise the games in the process... For example, every Genesis clone seems to have poor audio, which is lame, and which gives a falsely bad impression of the console.

I guess I just don't have faith anymore that console clones will do justice to the original console...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nitelich's Avatar

Chu Chu Rocket, Powerstone 1&2, Ikaruga, Segagaga, and the Typing of the Dead (keyboard support!) would do it for me.

But then again, a GDEmu replacing a burned out GD-ROM drive has worked to improve the longevity of my normal-size Dreamcast. So...
    Managed memory, in my VDP? It's more likely than you think.
    Expand your ROM size with this one weird pointer dereference (Fonzie hates them).

Keeping the list of new physically released homebrew games up to date! ...And looking to buy a few I've missed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

is the image at the first post like a toy of the actual model? lol

Yeah, would be fitting to have a Dreamcast mini but that alone makes me really want to sink into the Saturn knowing that the Dreamcast was Sega's last.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Isn't Saturn still considered mostly impossible to emulate accurately? It would be awful to see botched ports of NiGHTS games for example.

Not sure about DC emulation being accurate or not, but I certainly dislike emulated versions that compromise the games in the process... For example, every Genesis clone seems to have poor audio, which is lame, and which gives a falsely bad impression of the console.

I guess I just don't have faith anymore that console clones will do justice to the original console...
    Saturn isn't impossible to emulate, it just takes ages to do because the a/v asics have a bajillion hardware functions, plus you have a lot of CPUs and at least one of them (the DSP) has some undocumented instructions (however not many games use that thing). So because of that, no one even bothers. And many who try will get bogged down on trying to do hardware implementation for increased resolutions, when the Saturn is specifically something that works best in pixel accurate software-only emulation. There has been at least 2 new Saturn emulators in the past, Mednafen and another one that is funded via patreon.

Dreamcast emulation had more inaccuracies last time I tried due to nonstandard implementations of things like floating point numbers or Z-buffer, and the PowerVR2 having some kinks they abused. IIRC with DirectX 10/11 most of that is not an issue, but I haven't checked since a long time if anything happened in that front or not. Last time I did, the only decent DC emu was NullDC, and it couldn't for the life of it run audio without horrible skipping, and the developers just hand-waved the issue with "it's because you use Windows Vista/7".

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

if only
    sega is too bus re re re re re re re re re re re re re re releasaing the fucking megadrive and its library AGAIN
    this time this year in september ..hoo ray
    im so fucking sick of the megadrive

but in the unlikley event that it does happen and licensing isnt an issue the 20 i want to see for the dreamcast are

daytona usa 2001
    sega rally 2
    grandia 2
    shenmue 1 and 2
    sanic adventure 1
    virtua tennis 1 and 2
    soul calibur
    zombie revenge
    dynamite cop ( its crazy expensive for some reason )
    resident evil 2 3 and veronica
    capcom vs snk
    street fighter alpha 3
    episope 1 racer
    crazy taxi
    skies of arcadia
    v rally 2
    Kitsune in a hat

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

First Party:
    -Bangai O
    -Chu Chu Rocket
    -Crazy Taxi
    -Crazy Taxi 2
    -Jet Grind Radio
    -Shenmue
    -Skies of Arcadia
    -Sonic Adventure
    -Sonic Adventure 2
    -Space Channel 5
    -Time Stalkers

Third party suggestions:
    -Dead or Alive 2 (Tecmo)
    -Fur Fighters (Acclaim)
    -Grandia II (Game Arts)
    -Mars Matrix (Capcom)
    -Power Stone (Capcom)
    -Power Stone 2 (Capcom)
    -Rayman 2 (considered the best version) (UbiSoft)
    -SoulCalibur (Namco)
    -Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Capcom)

Again, like my Saturn post, this considers games released in the US and tries to be realistic about the current situation involving licensing deals, viability of certain franchises and the parties involved, technical issues like whether a peripheral is required (as in House of the Dead, Samba de Amigo, or Virtual On), etc.

As I said, overseas people would likely be given a different lineup including exclusives for their region such as Shenmue 2 and Rez.

Dreamcast games average about 1.2 gigs per disc. Counting multi disc games like Grandia and Shenmue, what is listed here should fit nicely on a 32GB internal storage which is affordable in this day and age should they decide to go with it. The games would obviously be the originals running via emulation like the other minis. Most of the ones I left out would be games like the Capcom arcade shooters or other fighters which I am not familiar with, and Mature rated games like the Resident Evils or Illbleed, which, while being good games in their own right, would likely alienate consumers with an M-rating on an otherwise all-audiences list.

Video Game Modder Outrunner segasonicfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KitsuneNight View Post
    if only
    sega is too bus re re re re re re re re re re re re re re releasaing the fucking megadrive and its library AGAIN
    this time this year in september ..hoo ray
    im so fucking sick of the megadrive

but in the unlikley event that it does happen and licensing isnt an issue the 20 i want to see for the dreamcast are

daytona usa 2001
    sega rally 2
    grandia 2
    shenmue 1 and 2
    sanic adventure 1
    virtua tennis 1 and 2
    soul calibur
    zombie revenge
    dynamite cop ( its crazy expensive for some reason )
    resident evil 2 3 and veronica
    capcom vs snk
    street fighter alpha 3
    episope 1 racer
    crazy taxi
    skies of arcadia
    v rally 2
    Yeah, it wouldn't be so bad if they actually mixed up the library with some nice imports. Alien Soldier and Pulseman are obvious choices. But damn Im real tired of seeing stuff like Altered Beast on every compilation. I thought that game was boring even back in 1991.

Dreamcast love would be great. OG Jet Set Radio is still the best one with the original music. Id love to pay more Fur Fighters and Power Stone. The thing I really dream for though, which will never happen, is a "mini" system with analog 15khz RGB, component, or S-Video. Its disappointing that the choices are always between HDMI or composite. I like high-quality gaming on my low res CRT.
    Last edited by segasonicfan; 04-28-2019 at 09:46 AM.

Wildside Expert

Slightly off topic, but original Dreamcasts are getting expensive. Gamestop online was charging $50 - $60 since they started offering DC retro - now systems are $100. Even my local game stores are now selling DC's for $80+.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 04-29-2019 at 03:55 PM.

Thread Information