Quantcast

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mega Drive FPGA by Analogue and 8bitdo

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrandx View Post
    On the colors, they are correct, but set to 255 as pure white. You may be used to pure white being around 240 (effective comparison when hooking up an OG Genesis to an OSSC).
    Thank you for that Firebrandx. I'm used to the OSSC, so I'm going to try the 240. The 255 isn't bad, but it's different and I'm so glad that you're on the case to understanding all these differences.

Turning off both vertical and horizontal interpolation helped the pixels look a little more like my RGB OSSC set ups. I'm always testing with Sonic 2 because I know exactly what that one looks and sounds like, and so I can see it shift the black pixel in his black eye and some details in the background layer like I'm used to seeing them.

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

When will the Game Gear Adapter going to be released?

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenge View Post
    Turning off both vertical and horizontal interpolation helped the pixels look a little more like my RGB OSSC set ups.
    Oh lol! I thought you said the colors were off. That's something entirely different. If you do intend to keep interpolation off, make sure both the vertical and horizontal settings in advanced video mode are set to integer scales, such as 4x or 5x if you're running in 1080p. Be warned that 5x vertical will cut off some rows of pixels from the top and bottom of the screen. I prefer 4x due to this.

Oh lol! I thought you said the colors were off. That's something entirely different. If you do intend to keep interpolation off, make sure both the vertical and horizontal settings in advanced video mode are set to integer scales, such as 4x or 5x if you're running in 1080p. Be warned that 5x vertical will cut off some rows of pixels from the top and bottom of the screen. I prefer 4x due to this.
    The colors were a little different too as you had suggested by the white balancing, but there was also a little different in the pixels until I turned off the interpretation. I use the 4x like you because I didn't want the vertical screen cut off. Like you, I also want my square pixels without stretching. I'm not for filters either. I played through Streets of Rage 1 tonight, but there is just something amiss with the sound on that one too. I'd never know if I didn't have all these Genesis systems and things like your chip which I feel is calibrated to what I consider a definitive sound experience.

The built in game genie or cheats doesn't work properly. It locks up to a red screen when enabled and a cheat is entered for a game. Works fine with an identical code and game using a real Game Genie.

…are you sure the master code is active? (red screen implies it tripped the checksum check, which is what master codes are intended to disable)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training zbtnot's Avatar

That's interesting -- I received my Mega SG the other day and just played Altered Beast on it with the infinite lives code enabled (try not to judge too hard, I'm terrible at this game haha). Maybe only certain codes don't work?

That actually makes a lot of sense. I used the 99 lives code to test on Sonic 2. I didn't need any type of master code on the official Game Genie and it worked, and I used the exact same code using the built in Game Genie cheat type thing in the Mega SG, but the red screen happens which you just reminded me is the checksum check which makes sense. I'm not aware of a master code that needs to be used for this cheat though, so I'm not sure why would work on the official Game Genie ok, but not the built in one.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

This sunday gave us Digital Foundry's review of the Mega SG:

https://youtu.be/_ZCQ6kN9Ie0

Bonus track - Blast Processing:

https://youtu.be/rvvL6S5Buiw

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

One thing I'm hoping for is an overclock option to be implemented. That would be ace.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of cram dots? For such an accurate device it's a shame. At least make it optional for those who prefer a clean image..
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tor Landeel View Post
    Am I the only one bothered by the lack of cram dots? For such an accurate device it's a shame. At least make it optional for those who prefer a clean image..
    I only recall CRAM pixels being a nuisance in the overscan area. Was there a game that actually used them for an effect?

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

I only recall CRAM pixels being a nuisance in the overscan area. Was there a game that actually used them for an effect?
    Not for any effect, they are rather artifacts visible in certain games where palette is swapped mid screen, like Samurai Shodown and Outrunners.
    It's not really anything beneficial, but I would expect them to be there since the focus on accuracy.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

CRAM dots are like the one thing I'm perfectly happy to do away with. It wasn't even intentional in the first place, just a side effect of CRAM being single port in the original implementation, and there isn't any real way to make good use of them (but lots of ways in which they interfere! :​D).

Which reminds me, something to be said about what's "accurate". There have been minor differences among revisions of the original hardware after all.

Thread Information