Quantcast

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Mega Drive FPGA by Analogue and 8bitdo

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Convoy View Post
    He specifically said that the AtGames unit that he's using for comparison is bad, not the Mega SG.
    I see, a mistake from my part. There's a lot of people, however, complaining about small bugs, but at least you can upgrade the firmware so future patches may solve this.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

So, first impressions. This thing is outstanding.

I did have to update the firmware in order to play SMS games, but I'm VERY impressed.

I'll be doing a lot of capturing in the next week and I will hopefully have a full review up in a couple of weeks.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: The Setup! Game Collection, Retro Setup, and Capture Studio Tour - Features, Episode 6

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Were you running SMS games from carts, or an MD flashcart? I notice Joe couldn't do the latter. Mine comes in today, I missed the Monday slot!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Were you running SMS games from carts, or an MD flashcart? I notice Joe couldn't do the latter. Mine comes in today, I missed the Monday slot!
    From carts. Don't know how persistent the problems would have been but I did a firmware upgrade after trying two and they worked fine afterwards.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: The Setup! Game Collection, Retro Setup, and Capture Studio Tour - Features, Episode 6

The legendary gargoyle Road Rasher Firebrandx's Avatar

Don't know if this has already been covered here, but you'll want to turn the PSG down to 28 when you get your Mega Sg (after updating the firmware). I compared waveforms to M1 VA2 and VA3, and 28 was where the PSG volume should be. Kevtris says he'll add this new default value to the next firmware release.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Firebrandx View Post
    Don't know if this has already been covered here, but you'll want to turn the PSG down to 28 when you get your Mega Sg (after updating the firmware). I compared waveforms to M1 VA2 and VA3, and 28 was where the PSG volume should be. Kevtris says he'll add this new default value to the next firmware release.
    Thank you for that. Super important if you want calibrated sound and since I'm pretty snobby about how my Genesis systems sound.

It's funny that after getting the Mega SG, I've been trying to get it to sound more like my M1 Mini Mega, or even slightly warmer like my VA2 model 1. So glad you're on the case Firebrandx.
    Last edited by Vorenge; 03-27-2019 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorenge View Post
    It's funny that after getting the Mega SG, I've been trying to get it to sound more like my M1 Mini Mega, or even slightly warmer like my VA2 model 1. So glad you're on the case Firebrandx.
    Thanks!

Unfortunately Ace and I are finding all sorts of issues with the sound function in the Mega Sg. For example, If you raise the ladder effect past zero, it increases the volume of the YM channels and actually drowns out the PSG. So in order to compensate, you have to raise PSG volume levels along with the increase in ladder. My 28 values for PSG are based on zero ladder. So keep that in mind if you intend to try and mimic OG YM. A ladder of 4 was suggested by Ace, so I need to re-calibrate PSG volume for that.

You're absolutely right about the ladder issue and I had to raise my PSG up after that to about 38, but it sounds wrong without ladder also. I just can't get it 100% right, but it's closer than standard settings. Additionally the Sega CD game Final Fight has weird lock up issues with the Mega SG that I don't get when connected to my real Genesis. The game doesn't hard lock, but either the player Sprite or the enemy sprite will freeze while the game continues making it unplayable after that happens because the player or enemy is invincible in that state, so you can't even kill yourself. Happens on both the USA and Japan version.

Also, oddly enough I get a little bit of occasional odd twang sounds when playing the original Columns on whatever the default first track (song) is that I don't hear on my other Genesis systems. Not my stock model 1, not my M1 Mini Mega model 1, not my Mega Amp model 2, and not my CCAM model 2 or my model 3, or my Nomad, CDX, or X'Eye. Quackshot is a little off too. Also, the RGB on all of those systems (all Sony encoders) has a better picture to my eye. I can't quite describe it. While the Mega SG has absolutely no jailbars which is awesome, there is something different with either the color balancing or shading or contrast of the individual pixels. On the shipped firmware (I think it was 1.2 from Jan with no boot sound) it was way worse than 4.2 on picture and sound, but there is just something hard to describe that still feels a little off. Hopefully as more of you with RGB setups will be able to chime in more. Maybe I'm just accustomed to all my Genesis systems quirks and workings over time?

On the colors, they are correct, but set to 255 as pure white. You may be used to pure white being around 240 (effective comparison when hooking up an OG Genesis to an OSSC).

For anyone who has a Mega Sg; how is it right out of the box?

If you didn't change a thing would you say it's still very good?

Also, I'm really curious to hear a comparison of the 8bitdo M30 2.4G compared to the Krikzz Joyzz.

Anyone have both? I have the Joyzz and I love it. Does the M30 measure up?
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker jymannob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post

Also, I'm really curious to hear a comparison of the 8bitdo M30 2.4G compared to the Krikzz Joyzz.

Watch this : https://www.retrorgb.com/krikzz-joyz...g-testing.html

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post

I have both. The Krikzz is better out of the box and I love the original design. After a firmware update with the 8bitdo, the lines are blurred a little more for me, because before it I could tell a difference in the latency between the two just playing Road Rash. With the update, I think they both are on par with each other and I don't mind the in hand feel of the 8bitdo, for nostalgia and the feel I've known since being a kid, I still lean toward the Krikzz. In addition, something also emotionally feels better supporting the small guy. It's also how I adore all the engineers, dreamers, software, and modder guys on this very forum that have a unwavering passion for our beloved Genesis/Mega Drive and really all things Sega.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Just ordered one. It's going to be a very long 2 to 3 weeks for me.
    I ordered mine Monday night, it shipped Tuesday, and arrived Wednesday -- but I am only like 240 miles away from where they're shipping.

I bought the M30 2.4g and while I have not used the Krikzz controller, I have not noticed any real lag with the M30.

Thread Information