Quantcast

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Mega Drive FPGA by Analogue and 8bitdo

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

How about a little jailbreak action? https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks...ster/README.md

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    CRAM dots are like the one thing I'm perfectly happy to do away with. It wasn't even intentional in the first place, just a side effect of CRAM being single port in the original implementation, and there isn't any real way to make good use of them (but lots of ways in which they interfere! :​D).

Which reminds me, something to be said about what's "accurate". There have been minor differences among revisions of the original hardware after all.
    I see your point, but can you please elaborate a bit on the "original implementation" of CRAM? Is there a revision which does not display CRAM dots?
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Not back then, but I mean that if we were to reimplement CRAM, there's absolutely no reason to reimplement the limitation.

Essentially, the issue is that CRAM is single port, i.e. only one thing can access it at the same time. Usually, this would mean you can only read or write to it, but not both at the same time. Problem? The VDP never lets go of CRAM, it's always fetching a color to display. So instead when it has to write a value it lets that color end up on screen as well, since that's what it was also "reading" (because that was on the CRAM bus).

If it was accessing CRAM twice as fast so that it could alternate writes and reads safely, or if the CRAM was dual port (so it could read and write to different addresses at the same time), CRAM dots would never happen.

CRAM dots are like the one thing I'm perfectly happy to do away with. It wasn't even intentional in the first place, just a side effect of CRAM being single port in the original implementation, and there isn't any real way to make good use of them (but lots of ways in which they interfere! :​D).

Which reminds me, something to be said about what's "accurate". There have been minor differences among revisions of the original hardware after all.
    I'm with you, for me its a feature. Also disable the sprite limite like they did on nintendo side is welcome too.
    And for me.. an overclock option can be one good reason to buy this thing if they release it..

100% Accurate console already existis.. you just need to buy it.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

The main difference is that sprite limit actually has its uses (Sonic 1 title screen, anyone?), while CRAM dots have absolutely no use other than to be annoying :​P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

(Sonic 1 title screen, anyone?)
    I'm curious, can you explain that? I don't get it.

The game exploits sprite limits to make Sonic to show behind the ribbon but in front of the winged ring (in other words, it's used as a way to clip Sonic). It's the most obvious bug in old emulators.

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

The main difference is that sprite limit actually has its uses (Sonic 1 title screen, anyone?), while CRAM dots have absolutely no use other than to be annoying :​P
    I would just like to have the option to be annoyed, but I can live without it :P
    Thanks anyway for the technical explanation, it was very clear and useful.
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

Wildside Expert

Hello,
    I have a question for analogue mega sg owners : is it possible to simulate an overclocked system ? (I like super hang on)
    Last edited by dolphinkiller24; 04-07-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by dolphinkiller24 View Post
    Hello,
    I have a question for analogue mega sg owners : is it possible to simulate an overclocked system ? (I like super hang on)
    I haven't found a way to do this.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I freaking love this thing. I've put quite a few hours into it this week. Feels good to revisit my favorites in high definition on a large screen. I've since dialed in the video and audio settings to my liking, mostly using the recommendations of FirebrandX and Ace (where has he been, I'd love to hear his tech thoughts about this thing). I'm using the 8bitdo M30 wireless pads with it, and I've had no issues, and quite like them. It's Genesis heaven over here, boys.

Road Rasher

I didnt plan on buying one because the crappy canadian dollar is too low and costs around 400$ with shipping fees and import fees. But i woke up this morning and checked sega stuff on facebook marketplace, and a brand new mega sg popped up, about 10 minutes from my place, never used for 250$. So im now a proud owner of mega sg!

Have you guys tried out the settings that firebrandx posted up. The video setting are really nice but I'm not sure about the audio, been bouncing around with the different options and haven't settled on one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I didnt plan on buying one because the crappy canadian dollar is too low and costs around 400$ with shipping fees and import fees. But i woke up this morning and checked sega stuff on facebook marketplace, and a brand new mega sg popped up, about 10 minutes from my place, never used for 250$. So im now a proud owner of mega sg!
    Sweet Deal! Congrats. I'm still stuck without a Mega SG for the exact same reason you held off.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Road Rasher

Thanks! But seriously the mega retron hd is not bad at all for the price, im selling it to absorb the cost of the sg but i really liked it.

Thread Information