Quantcast

Thread: Sega Rally

Saturn Sega Rally

Sega wowed Saturn owners with a stellar rendition of its arcade monster, Sega Rally. Boasting impressive visuals, excellent gameplay, and an incredible soundtrack, it was enough to keep owners glued to their consoles for hours at a time. Coupled with the Arcade Racer wheel, Sega Rally is the perfect Saturn racing game. Read our full review for more details.

Saturn

Excellent review though a nod to the improved Netlink edition would have been nice. It's funny how Sega Rally merits a 10/10 type score given today's demands, but it absolutely deserves it. The graphics and soundtrack are amazing, and the track design and gameplay are basically perfect. I only wish there was a reverse track racing option. True story: I had never even considered racing backwards on the tracks, but a friend stumbled over to my house high as a kite at 2 A.M. one night, and we started playing split screen with him deciding to drive backwards. Then he hit that big bump on Desert which sent the Celica flying. It was amazing to me, and I can't imagine what that felt like in his state. We spent like a solid hour or two just launching from that "ramp." The weighty physics made it feel awesome, and it just sealed how realistic Rally's world felt.

Too bad it couldn't help reverse the Saturn's state in the West as part of the big 3. GT had more content, but nothing compared to what Sega Rally offered. Still listening to that B-Univ soundtrack 20-plus years later, too. It's about as iconic as it gets for racing. It even got a nod in LaRacer's video game based challenges in Forza Horizon 4!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Excellent review of a great game. I seem to remember my brother finding that big jump as well... I could never win the last race, but he did once, there was something so appealing about that Stratos, especially as someone in our town used to drive a real one; we used to see it from time to time, it had the rally paint job and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Excellent review though a nod to the improved Netlink edition would have been nice. It's funny how Sega Rally merits a 10/10 type score given today's demands, but it absolutely deserves it. The graphics and soundtrack are amazing, and the track design and gameplay are basically perfect. I only wish there was a reverse track racing option. True story: I had never even considered racing backwards on the tracks, but a friend stumbled over to my house high as a kite at 2 A.M. one night, and we started playing split screen with him deciding to drive backwards. Then he hit that big bump on Desert which sent the Celica flying. It was amazing to me, and I can't imagine what that felt like in his state. We spent like a solid hour or two just launching from that "ramp." The weighty physics made it feel awesome, and it just sealed how realistic Rally's world felt.

Too bad it couldn't help reverse the Saturn's state in the West as part of the big 3. GT had more content, but nothing compared to what Sega Rally offered. Still listening to that B-Univ soundtrack 20-plus years later, too. It's about as iconic as it gets for racing. It even got a nod in LaRacer's video game based challenges in Forza Horizon 4!
    Here's what I think, Ben. The way I look at reviewing a game is looking at it compared to other games on the same system and maybe some competitors games, whether on the same system or other systems. Sometimes, you either cut a game slack or berate it badly. Arcade port stuff is tough because if someone were to have the mentality of today, something like Sega Rally would be bashed. I think you have to look at whether you're getting the complete arcade experience and many people were back in 1995-96 with Rally. Sure, it might be bare today, but that was the case with a lot of these arcade games. Even with 16-bit games like all those fighting games.

Sega Rally is the perfect kind of arcade game. I'd say better than Ridge Racer if we're talking arcade racers for the era.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

A well written review of my favorite Saturn game. Even after beating all 4 courses, I enjoyed tweaking my car and racing my ghost laps. Love the soundtrack with Satriani on guitar.

Sports Talker

This is one of my favourite games of all time. Sega really nailed everything here, playability, graphics, sound - everything.
    Memory might be failing me but I’m sure there was a code or a way to unlock mirror mode ?

Sports Talker

Thought so:
    “Mirror Mode-On the game selection screen, hold Y+C”

Thread Information