Quantcast

Thread: My comments under the reviews are almost never published, why?

Sports Talker

Default My comments under the reviews are almost never published, why?

This is a problem that I find annoying, since I've been writing some constructive comments that are lost it seems. Sega 16 is a web site I've been following almost since its creation, and I love reading the comment section, so it is a bit annoying to never have my opinion up there even though I spent some time writing those. I believe some of the reviews are overly positive or negative and it is always good to have several takes on a game. I don't think my english was bad, so I don't know why my comments are not approved. Anyone know something about this, or have had the same issue?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Don't take it personally - the site has been around forever and I'm sure Melf has his hands full with other things. You should post your reviews in the forum threads that are linked from the review pages. You're more likely to get views that way.

Sports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Don't take it personally - the site has been around forever and I'm sure Melf has his hands full with other things.
    I understand that. But comments from other users keep getting published, just not mine.
    Again I believe they were well written, not agressive, constructive comments. Hard not to take it personally then

Why would you take personally?We don't even know each other, that I'm aware of. None of your comments attacked anyone. What happened was that they got sent (along with several others) to the trash folder, which I hadn't checked. I've restored them, so no harm was done.

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I just reviewed the past couple months of articles ... I only saw 2 comments. Pretty sparse unfortunately. After all, everybody enjoys feedback on their stuff as long as it isnít insulting.

That's pretty much how it's been across the board. No one comments, no one contributes articles. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it.

Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    That's pretty much how it's been across the board. No one comments, no one contributes articles. Sometimes I wonder if it's even worth it.
    Well, Sega-16's been around for a long time, so maybe that's why people don't contribute articles much anymore; they feel like everything's already been talked about. A lot of people complain about specific reviews - maybe if you opened up certain games to "second opinion reviews", they'd write one? Just a thought.
    In general people don't comment a lot on articles, unfortunately. That seems to be common to a lot of sites. I think you have to register to wordpress here to leave a comment, and even forums seem to demand too much effort from most people nowadays, so...

We've been covering other consoles for some time now and nothing's changed, though. For years, YEARS, I had people asking me constantly when we were going to cover other Sega consoles. When we do cover them, what happens? Virtually no one contributes. In the year we've been covering the Saturn and DC, the two consoles that go the most requests, I've received 9 total articles. What happens is that everyone wants to read the content but no one wants to write any of it, and I can't cover everything alone. Eventually, it's going to get to the point where the site will only be updated when I get the chance to write something, whenever that is.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

^Well I really hope the site continues, even if it's quieter than it used to be. The site is still important for preserving history of SEGA and its legacy today. And Roundtables are always entertaining (while showing the modern relevance of many older games).

I don't know if ALL forums are generally quieter and more outdated, than a few yrs ago? When I started visiting this site, I didn't used to be able to watch videos online, for the most part (because limited hardware in an old computer). And the last couple yrs, with good PC hardware (& now, a Mac), I watch tons of vids on YouTube. (So do people just watch vids now instead of reading & writing in forums?)

Also there's the fact that the central console and its 2 add-ons, have had almost everything already covered for years... So there goes the original draw for most readers, over the years... And other SEGA platforms might not have such a following as the Genesis...

Anyway I think the site needs to continue, in some way or another lol. I wish more people would contribute too.

Wildside Expert

Forums are a dying breed, definitely. Maybe people spend more time on videos like you said, but they've also been largely replaced by the likes of Reddit and various social media. I still prefer forums as a medium, because I'm old(ish) and afraid of new technology, but then, what really matters is the quality of the posts, and when forums go down certain paths, drama happens and things begin to unravel.

I wouldn't mind writing a reader roundtable entry eventually. I have a few Genesis games I want to get into in the next few months, so... Also second the value of the site as an archive. There's still active Sega fans and retro gamers who dig at least some of their games, but the more times passes, the less relevant it becomes to the mainstream gaming conversation. A lot of the gamers you see on the Internet today grew up with the PS1 and PS2, they may never have owned a Sega console. I'm a Saturn fan, and you've got the die-hard Dreamcast fans, but SEGA as a fandom is only going to become more niche with time...

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jules Walter View Post
    In general people don't comment a lot on articles, unfortunately. That seems to be common to a lot of sites. I think you have to register to wordpress here to leave a comment, and even forums seem to demand too much effort from most people nowadays, so...
    This reminded me, I cannot log in to the Sega-16 site because I've forgotten my password. I'm evidently registered, it recognizes my name and my email addy, but trying to use "did you forget your password" function never actually sends me a recovery email. It's been such a hastle, I just gave up, and thus I can't post comments even if I wanted to. I wonder if other people have this software problem too.

Thread Information