Quantcast

Thread: Slow autoplaying audio ads

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Default Slow autoplaying audio ads

I use an ad blocker, but whitelist sites I use often so that they still receive ad revenue. This includes SEGA-16.

Recently, I've noticed a spike in ads on the site that lag my browser and autoplay loud audio. I'll notice a spike in lag and non-responsiveness on the page accompanied by a lot of activity on the bottom-left of my browser showing what is being loaded.
    After this, a loud audio advertisement will play. I can imagine that all this data being loaded isn't great for anyone visiting the site using a 3G/4G data plan.

Short clip: https://gfycat.com/BoldFarflungIndianpalmsquirrel

Normally, SEGA-16 has non-intrusive ads that I don't mind. I understand that ads are necessary, but I just ask that these sort of heavy, loud ads not be used on the site. I will still allow ads on the site as always, but want to bring this to attention.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I've noticed the same thing. I don't visit the site on my phone anymore because I don't have unlimited data. It's taking me much longer to type this on my PC because the ads are loading stuff almost non-stop (lag).
    Last edited by Tony H; 05-19-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

This issue is seriously breaking the forum. I am not in favor of using ad blockers, but I feel like I have no choice. The forum has slowed down to a crawl due to intrusive ads that autoplay audio and hog CPU.

Outrunner

I've been having this issue also, it got so bad that when I reply to threads it causes the responses to my typing to slow significantly and has on occasion caused the browser window to crash. Its either a video trying to load or like others have said an audio advert playing.

Was avoiding the site because it was getting so bad, so have re-enabled ad blocking.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I have an i7 rig with 16GB of RAM. The website eventually crashes and I get a notice that I ran out of memory. My i7 ramps up to 4.7Ghz, when it should be running at around 1GHz with web browsing.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I've contacted the webmaster about this. Let's see what can be done.

On mobile I'm getting redirected (not a new tab, REDIRECTED) to a full-page ad. Whenever I hit back I just get the same ad. I have to close Sega-16 on my mobile browser, reopen it, and hope I don't get that ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis Knight View Post
    On mobile I'm getting redirected (not a new tab, REDIRECTED) to a full-page ad. Whenever I hit back I just get the same ad. I have to close Sega-16 on my mobile browser, reopen it, and hope I don't get that ad.
    Same with me. I can't even access the site via mobile anymore. It's ridiculous. It's nothing but non-stop pop up adds. Please fix this!

Nameless One

I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience these issues, I swear nothing irks me more than to switch tabs on my browser only to start hearing audio for something that I don't want to hear (lately it's been nothing but political ads which annoy me the most because I mainly come to sites like this to get away from politics and yet here it is repeatedly getting shoved in my face when I just want to browse the site), cell phone browsing on this site is even worse, there have been many times when I'm trying to browse the forums only to have an ad popup that essentially requires me to close the tab/window I was using because the stupid thing won't take no for an answer and go back to the page I was on previously when I hit the back button (when I click back to return to what I was on before I expect to go back PERIOD), I don't mind if the site has ads as long as they aren't obtrusive and lately obtrusive ads are exactly what I've been experiencing at random points and it's starting to wear thin on my nerves really fast.
    Last edited by Superrayman3; 10-29-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Just use a browser extension like uBlock Origin to stop suffering. You can turn it off for trusted sites with acceptable ads, it blocks a bunch of crap you don't want or need out of the box, it rarely breaks pages using the default lists, and it gives you numerous advanced options you can freely embrace or ignore depending on who you are (it runs in easy mode by default). Even vanilla Firefox might suffice at this point; they now have built-in content blocking for, among other things, intrusive ads.

Personally, I would recommend using something like that anyway since it drastically ups your security, privacy and speed while requiring minimal effort. It beats waiting around several months for shitty ads to possibly get fixed.

Thread Information