Quantcast

Thread: I'm reviewing all the Game Gear RPGs!

Game Gear I'm reviewing all the Game Gear RPGs!

The Game Gear has a relatively small, but surprisingly quality RPG library (or maybe not that surprisingly as I've pretty much described every Sega system). So for the past year I've been steadily playing through the bulk of them, I still have a few to go of course, but I'm not in a rush.

Crystal Warriors & Royal Stone

Lunar: Walking School

Shining Force: Sword of Hajya

Defenders of Oasis

Ax Battler
    556 552 557 279 725

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

^Awesome! This is timely, too, since filler is leading a big initiative to translate the Game Gear library (or a lot of it, anyway). I think there'll be several more newly translated RPGs coming down the pike soon.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    ^Awesome! This is timely, too, since filler is leading a big initiative to translate the Game Gear library (or a lot of it, anyway). I think there'll be several more newly translated RPGs coming down the pike soon.
    Oooooo. Is that why we suddenly got Magic Knight Rayearth?
    556 552 557 279 725

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

I think it's related, yeah. He's got some videos up about his translation projects & plans, e.g.:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

So, here's some good news - a few of the remaining JP GG RPGs are already translated and will soon enter the hacking phase, most likely. There are only 5 left, in fact - 3 Madou Monogatari games (MM 2 is translated), Moldorian (translated) and Eternal Legend (the very first RPG for the system, apparently). I'm guessing MM2 and Moldorian will be released not too long from now, depending on how many issues there are with them. All the other games that are left aren't RPGs, so they likely won't take quite as much work. The RPGs are all being translated by the translator who did Royal Stone (very cool game, by the way - thanks for covering it!) so the quality should be very respectable.
    Last edited by cccmar; 10-23-2018 at 10:55 AM.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cccmar View Post
    So, here's some good news - a few of the remaining JP GG RPGs are already translated and will soon enter the hacking phase, most likely. There are only 5 left, in fact - 3 Madou Monogatari games (MM 2 is translated), Moldorian (translated) and Eternal Legend (the very first RPG for the system, apparently). I'm guessing MM2 and Moldorian will be released not too long from now, depending on how many issues there are with them. All the other games that are left aren't RPGs, so they likely won't take quite as much work. The RPGs are all being translated by the translator who did Royal Stone (very cool game, by the way - thanks for covering it!) so the quality should be very respectable.
    Has Shining Force Gaiden been translated?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

No. But.... it's better on Sega CD.
    556 552 557 279 725

Wildside Expert

Cool, I didn't know Moldorian and Eternal Legend were being worked on. I hope they're closer to Defenders of Oasis than Phantasy Star Gaiden in terms of quality (Gaiden is garbaaaaaage). I'm not too into video reviews, but I'm listening to the Defenders one right now and I'm surprised I remember all those tunes even now. Good stuff.

This is pretty damn awesome!

By the way Daria, would you like to guest on a livestream sometime? ^^
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Video Game Modder Road Rasher segasonicfan's Avatar

Hellyes. This is awesome. Great to see Royal Stone getting love! I couldn't agree more - that game blew me away with its amazing-ness.
    Great review, you have a knack for reviews that I wish I had.

Quote Originally Posted by segasonicfan View Post
    Hellyes. This is awesome. Great to see Royal Stone getting love! I couldn't agree more - that game blew me away with its amazing-ness.
    Great review, you have a knack for reviews that I wish I had.
    Heh thanks. Yeah I'd been looking forward to Royal Stone's translation for years, but by the time it finally came out I had other things going on. Was such a treat finally getting to play it in English.
    556 552 557 279 725

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Heh thanks. Yeah I'd been looking forward to Royal Stone's translation for years, but by the time it finally came out I had other things going on. Was such a treat finally getting to play it in English.
    It really is quite a good game! You may want to check out Moldorian too, when it's out. I'm guessing it should be added on RHDN very soon. Supper added the manual to the pack, and I strongly suggest you read through it, since it's basically the same as the paper manual and it explains everything you need to know about game mechanics (plus it adds some more story, besides the short introductory text crawl). The same translator worked on Royal Stone, also. Good to see all those RPGs getting knocked out of the park lately!

Thread Information