Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hyperkin's Mega Retron HD Review (HDMI Sega Genesis)

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Genesis Hyperkin's Mega Retron HD Review (HDMI Sega Genesis)

The first review (I believe) has come out for Mega Retron.

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Road Rasher

Sonic’s bubble protection looks weird, and framerate seems off when sonic is running, not sure if its the console or capture card

Teardown:

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I never bought a HD retro system but this is the first one I might consider. Affordable and seems pretty on point with the games looking and sounding authentic. Maybe just me but the Retron sounds just a teeny weeny little bit off in sound but it's such a small margin it's not a big deal. I really would like one to play SMS games as I'm not sure my SMS is going to hold up 5 more years.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert molul's Avatar

Interesting... It's a good alternative for the Analogue MD FPGA. Not as good but much cheaper.

I'm still waiting for the official mini, though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Sonic’s bubble protection looks weird, and framerate seems off when sonic is running, not sure if its the console or capture card
    The video was apparently recorded at 30fps since YouTube doesn't give a 1080p60 option. Since Sonic relies on alternating back and forth between different states, I'm sure it's just a capture problem.

I have a Mega Sg already preordered, but it won't ship until April. This seems to be a great stopgap solution for folks like me who don't have a CRT, so I ordered one from Castlemania yesterday. It'll get by until April, for sure.

It's crazy, but I think this system sounds better (at least in Sonic 2) than the Genesis 2 that was used for comparison. If the model 2 was one of the more common full-motherboard variants, that probably explains why, but I found the short sampling to be VERY passable.

The teardown was interesting. it's too bad the chips have had the part numbers obscured by etching or whatever. I'm sure it's some sort of GOAC and something that converts composite to HDMI. For $46 it's hard to complain.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

The video looks like it's composite upconverted to HDMI. There was no lag test done which is a pretty important metric with these types of systems.

I'm also curious about compatibility with Virtua Racing and real SMS carts.

For the price though, it doesn't seem bad. Just wondering how playable it really is.

Road Rasher

It would be interesting to know if virtua racing is compatibel, but every system gets knocked down when it doesnt. Its no big deal if its the only game not compatible, last time i played it was when it launched, it sucked back then and still suck now! Price point is nice, with the new wireless controllers coming soon it will be a nice modern setup for genesis. I wonder if i could swap the boards inside an old broken genny 1!!

Road Rasher

Based on the teardown, I'm guessing this is using a similar setup to the Fei Hao clones (TCT GOAC + HDMI scaler chip). I wonder if it has the same problem with shadow/highlight.

It would be interesting to know if virtua racing is compatibel, but every system gets knocked down when it doesnt. Its no big deal if its the only game not compatible, last time i played it was when it launched, it sucked back then and still suck now! Price point is nice, with the new wireless controllers coming soon it will be a nice modern setup for genesis. I wonder if i could swap the boards inside an old broken genny 1!!
    I think the reason why some people don't like when Virtua Racing isn't compatible is because that's a sign that it could affect other stuff (including flashcarts - Mega Everdrive in particular comes to mind).

Road Rasher

At least we know everdrives work with mega retron hd

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Every clone has its own fatal flaw, and I think I found the Mega Retron HD's.

The Genesis supports two rendering modes: 256x224 and 320x224. My initial experience with this thing was pretty good. PSG audio is a little louder than it should be, and the video is kind of soft, but otherwise I thought it was fine.

Then I went to play Street Fighter 2 SCE. There was some kind of weird shimmering effect going on. Some pixels were 2x as wide as they should be. I figured out that the other games I'd tried (various Sonic games and Streets of Rage 2) looked fine and rendered at 320x224, and Street Fighter renders at 256x224. So what I think it's doing is stretching every X pixels to be double-width BEFORE upscaling the image to 720p. The result is pretty bad. Vertical lines in the background get wider and thinner, and slow scrolling like in a 2D fighting game exacerbates the problem. Not to mention all the characters look like something out of a 16-bit Dali painting.

So that's a huge flaw that affects some really popular games. SF2 and Super SF2, Shining Force 1 and 2, NHL 94, and so on.

I was never expecting a Mega Sg killer, but I was hopeful and that's why I ordered one from Castlemania games. And it's fine, I guess, doubly so for an HDMI solution that costs under $50, but ugh. Hyperkin doesn't make a habit of fixing their stuff mid-production, either. I think owners are going to be stuck with this huge oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post

The Genesis supports two rendering modes: 256x224 and 320x224. My initial experience with this thing was pretty good. PSG audio is a little louder than it should be, and the video is kind of soft, but otherwise I thought it was fine.

Then I went to play Street Fighter 2 SCE. There was some kind of weird shimmering effect going on. Some pixels were 2x as wide as they should be. I figured out that the other games I'd tried (various Sonic games and Streets of Rage 2) looked fine and rendered at 320x224, and Street Fighter renders at 256x224. So what I think it's doing is stretching every X pixels to be double-width BEFORE upscaling the image to 720p. The result is pretty bad. Vertical lines in the background get wider and thinner, and slow scrolling like in a 2D fighting game exacerbates the problem. Not to mention all the characters look like something out of a 16-bit Dali painting.

So that's a huge flaw that affects some really popular games. SF2 and Super SF2, Shining Force 1 and 2, NHL 94, and so on.

I was never expecting a Mega Sg killer, but I was hopeful and that's why I ordered one from Castlemania games. And it's fine, I guess, doubly so for an HDMI solution that costs under $50, but ugh. Hyperkin doesn't make a habit of fixing their stuff mid-production, either. I think owners are going to be stuck with this huge oversight.
    I suspected something like this would be true.

I have had nothing but problems with Hyperkin hardware like this. The last review unit I got from them was the Retron HD for NES games, and it was broken out of the box. Retro-Bit stuff is a little better, but all in all; these clones are crap. They always have been, they always will be. I am a bit tempted by this one just because I like how the unit looks. But thank you for bringing this to the attention of the thread.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post

At 9:05 in madlittlepixel’s video review he plays sf2sce, and it looks fine to me?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

At 9:05 in madlittlepixel’s video review he plays sf2sce, and it looks fine to me?
    No, watching for it, I can definitely see what derFunkenstein is talking about. Watch the circular port holes on the ship in the background as the screen scrolls. You should be able to see the distortion. Make it full screen if necessary.

https://youtu.be/fw0-adAlops?t=582

Thread Information