Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hyperkin's Mega Retron HD Review (HDMI Sega Genesis)

Quote Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
    Correct. It should just be stretching it straight to 960x672, which would still require interpolation since 960 is not a multiple of 256 like 320 is. That's assuming integer scaling. Instead, the Mega RetroN HD is making an intermediate stop. And like Mask of Destiny said, it's nearest-neighbor for that sort of thing.
    For the record, I actually have a better technique than that: stretch to 2x without filtering, then stretch to final size with filtering. It works pretty well for just about any target size I've tried (click for full size):

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    That still wouldn't be enough, the problem is that the image is getting stretched to 320px wide before actually being stretched to its final size. There's double scaling going on here.
    Ah, now that you mention it, I bet you the TCT-6803 is doing that initial stretch to 320px. It's designed to work with an LCD and those have a fixed resolution.

I'm a noob when it comes to these machines. Have a question; does this machine actually run your cartridge, or does it dump its rom and run/emulate that? Pretty sure it's the latter, but just checking just in case.

The TCT clones have historically run straight off the cartridge (they were straight up copies of the original mask, Overdrive 1 runs exactly like real hardware on the TCT-6705 in fact). Dunno if the TCT-6803 also does it but I'd put my bets on it doing so as well.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

For the record, I actually have a better technique than that: stretch to 2x without filtering, then stretch to final size with filtering. It works pretty well for just about any target size I've tried (click for full size):
    Yeah, that does look pretty good. At any rate, Hyperkin did it totally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by GelmiR View Post
    I'm a noob when it comes to these machines. Have a question; does this machine actually run your cartridge, or does it dump its rom and run/emulate that? Pretty sure it's the latter, but just checking just in case.
    It does run straight off the cartridge, as evidenced by my Everdrive working with it. I have a copy of Virtua Racing on cart, but it doesn't even work right in a real Genesis anymore, so I don't know how the RetroN does with that game.

The TCT clones have historically run straight off the cartridge (they were straight up copies of the original mask, Overdrive 1 runs exactly like real hardware on the TCT-6705 in fact). Dunno if the TCT-6803 also does it but I'd put my bets on it doing so as well.
    It does run straight off the cartridge, as evidenced by my Everdrive working with it. I have a copy of Virtua Racing on cart, but it doesn't even work right in a real Genesis anymore, so I don't know how the RetroN does with that game.
    Got it, thanks for the replies!

Raging in the Streets KnightWarrior's Avatar

Can it run Virtua Racing?

Someone else in this thread have one? I've already addressed my inability to test it in this thread.

Did some A/B comparisons of audio today. Listened to the sound test in some iconic soundtracks: Sonic 2, SoR 2, Street Fighter 2, Revenge of Shinobi (Shinobi 2, right?)...all the S2's except Shining Force 2, I guess. Compared the Mega RetroN HD to the VA2 Genesis I just picked up on Friday.

In this case it's a TCL 55P605 4K TV with ARC out to my Sony DH550 auto-calibrated using the included mic with some Yamaha surround speaker / sub combo I got on Amazon a couple years ago. It's a moderate home theater system, not the greatest on earth. The Genesis was connected to the TV's composite and the audio sent via ARC to the receiver, too. So that means analog to digital was performed by the TV. The Mega RetroN HD was plugged directly into the TV's HDMI 2 port and audio sent via ARC to the receiver. Totally digital experience so the ADC was done on the system.

Along with the PSG being louder than it should be (which I've mentioned before), there's a much more heavy-handed low-pass filter on the RetroN. To the point that the system sounds kind of muffled. I didn't notice it when it was on the little TV in my home office, but listening to both on the receiver in the living room, it was pretty evident. The RetroN is also louder overall than the Genesis even with the headphone port turned all the way up.

The PSG balance issue manifests itself in several ways. Sonic jumping sounds, the bass in the SoR 2 bar scene in level 1, sustained notes in the Street Fighter soundtrack...it's everywhere. The low-pass filter is applied to the whole audio mix.

I'm also less of a fan of the controller than I was when I first got it. It's very easy to press a diagonal by accident. Pressing right in Sonic runs and then suddenly you're doing a running spin roll. In Street Fighter you're holding back to block and then you're jumping backwards. I'm using the 6-button controller that came with the Genesis and not having those problems at all.

I mean, for $46 you can buy four of these for the price of a Mega Sg plus shipping, and get four controllers to boot. So keeping that in mind, I think it's superior to under-powered ARM emulation boxes just for input latency reasons. That includes both a hacked NES/SNES mini and the 2017 Shield Android TV, both of which I own. It's far superior to the 2017 AtGames Genesis Flashback, and probably better than the 2018 model and the Super Retro Trio (if your TV can't force 4:3). It's just a far cry from the original hardware still, and will almost assuredly lag far behind the much more expensive Mega Sg.

Forgive the triple post, but I've discovered another HDMI Genesis clone - the GamerzTek Minigen HD. You can see it has the exact same problems as the Hyperkin in 256 mode, and mono audio (in the video at least) on top of it. Blah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJoJAo7BQjc

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

A lot of these machines are cut-n-paste cash grabs. The companies are usually willing to throw together some parts in a custom shell and not much else.

Itís stuff that none of the popular retro YouTube personalities have discussed so I feel the need to shout it. People need to know before they buy, not after.

edit: Case in point, Gamester81 did a "review" that consisted of 1/2 unboxing, footage of two games (one of which was an SoR 2 hack), and an endorsement. He didn't know what the "gray border" around Aladdin was on the real Genesis (overscan area showing the background layer) and implied that this thing was BETTER than the Genesis because of it.
    Last edited by derFunkenstein; 11-15-2018 at 08:41 AM.

I'm liking it so far. It's better than Fei Hao, Super Retro Trio Plus and Minigen HD in almost every way (stereo, 4:3 switch, all 3 region settings, price, controller, build quality). It seems to be the only HDMI GOAC that has stereo.

It does have issues with some multicarts. I tried the 112-in-1 and 126-in-1 and sometimes they work fine, sometimes they boot to a blank screen, and other times they boot straight into a random game, bypassing the main menu.
    Master System roms through Everdrive only display correctly when the console is set to PAL. On NTSC-U and NTSC-J the colors are all garbled up. The Fei Hao and Super Retro Trio Plus don't have these issues.

I don't have any issues with the dpad. The controller is a bit chunkier than others and feels really good to grip.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Itís stuff that none of the popular retro YouTube personalities have discussed so I feel the need to shout it. People need to know before they buy, not after.

edit: Case in point, Gamester81 did a "review" that consisted of 1/2 unboxing, footage of two games (one of which was an SoR 2 hack), and an endorsement. He didn't know what the "gray border" around Aladdin was on the real Genesis (overscan area showing the background layer) and implied that this thing was BETTER than the Genesis because of it.
    Reviews are a tricky thing. What most of the popular Youtuber's do are unboxings mixed with first impressions and label these are "reviews" instead of just calling it a "first impression" or an "overview." A lot of times, they are also given these machines for free for review purposes and let's face it, not everyone can be impartial. Folks tend to judge a lot more honestly when it's their own hard-earned cash on the line.

The other option, Journalistic style reviews take a lot of time. For a machine like this, unless you're already a big Youtuber and/or getting sponsored, the view count will be minimal and you won't get promoted so it's not worth the hours of work.

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Reviews are a tricky thing. What most of the popular Youtuber's do are unboxings mixed with first impressions and label these are "reviews" instead of just calling it a "first impression" or an "overview." A lot of times, they are also given these machines for free for review purposes and let's face it, not everyone can be impartial. Folks tend to judge a lot more honestly when it's their own hard-earned cash on the line.

The other option, Journalistic style reviews take a lot of time. For a machine like this, unless you're already a big Youtuber and/or getting sponsored, the view count will be minimal and you won't get promoted so it's not worth the hours of work.
    Yes, you're right. It takes time to do things correctly. It's a shame that people who don't do it correctly happen to be the ones with all the followers. It's been a few years, but I know the time commitment involved in doing it right. I just wish that YouTubers cared about getting it right or had some sort of integrity. By and large, they don't, and the evidence is exactly what you wrote.

Thread Information