Quantcast

Thread: Creative Genesis: Video Game History & Preservation

Default Creative Genesis: Video Game History & Preservation

At the 2018 Portland Retro Gaming Expo, Ken Horowitz of Sega-16 did a panel on video game history & preservation, highlighting the need to speak to game developers and preserve game code and documents. The panel discussed the importance of keeping game history alive for future generations, and how even regular gamers can get involved. Read the full article for all the details.

This is my 500th article for the site!

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I just noticed this, I didn't know you were a speaker at PRGE. I usually watch videos of the Activision and Atari guys who speak, and wasn't aware Sega 16 had a presence there. I almost made it to this year's show but got too busy. Thanks for the video of it, I just watched it.

Wildside Expert

Very interesting speech. I'm not really surprised that no one had interviewed all those people you mentioned, though. As long as there is no real institution with the means to research and preserve that history, everything is mostly up to hobbyists who are passionate enough to do that research on their own time. Of course on the Japanese side, things are further complicated by the language barrier, which is why I'm so thankful for shmuplations.com translating all those old interviews. Personally, I haven't given as much thought to the American and European sides of things in the past because most of the games I like are Japanese, but these people certainly have things of value to say as well. After all, a lot of those same Japanese Genesis games would likely not have been made if it weren't for the console's North American success, and that applies to a lot of arcade games made with an American audience in mind, PAL/Brazil Master System exclusives, etc. But getting back to the point, dedicated enthusiasts can only give us fragments of the big picture; to record and preserve history in detail the way History is studied, you need institutions that do it full-time, grants, that sort of thing. I don't know how much these museums you mentioned are able to do. I don't see it happening any time soon, unless some eccentric billionaire were to decide to fund something like that (one can dream), because as mainstream as videogames have becomes, their in-depth history is still a niche subject. I care, I know a few people who do, but you need a background in the games being talked about to get interested, and the dominant mentality is still that newer is better. I appreciate what Sega-16 does and has done, as well. I'm considering buying those two books once I have a little bit more dough.
    Last edited by Jules Walter; 11-11-2018 at 11:16 PM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Gryson's Avatar

Aside from keeping the history alive for future generations, I think a lot of enjoyment and appreciation can be gained from learning about the development of our favorite games.

In some ways, games really were "magic" to our younger selves, and understanding what exactly went into making them just extends the sense of wonder.

Thread Information