Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why is everyone shitting on the PC Classic?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

They are not getting the license to those old Epic games for a $99 box. Unless they get the freeware versions...which makes it pointless. Once again LOL at Doom on a 360 controller for a "PC classic" Not a keyboard and even worse not a classic IBM looking keyboard at the very least. Why is it yellow like a smokers house PC? Not everyone's PC was yellow. We had our 286 & 386 for almost 20 years and used them heavily and they didn't yellow.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Revisiting PC video games from 1994-1999 should be a priority. Currently there is no way to play these games 100% without authentic bulky hardware. I have a Windows 98 Voodoo3/SB machine for this purpose from back in the day, but it's on borrowed time. The hard and optical drives are aging and don't have replacements etc. You need Glide and SB/AWE support or emulation for good compatibility, neither of which are currently available in functional form.

Some games do run but with severe bugs, or only in base mode (no CD audio, 3D...). For example, there is no way to play Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (1997) in 3D mode and full sound, which is a shame because it's the best version of the game by far. Nor can you play Descent II. Flight Simulator 98 doesn't run on anything except authentic hardware, and the list goes on.

Just visit VOGONS to see how much demand there is. If someone put in the engineering to develop a sellable box with Glide, full SB/AWE, and proper x86 support, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It'll probably never happen though. This little box is a step in the right direction though, even if it never materializes.

I have to say, I think it will.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Why is it yellow like a smokers house PC? Not everyone's PC was yellow. We had our 286 & 386 for almost 20 years and used them heavily and they didn't yellow.
    Are you an idiot. Plastics yellow from sun exposure and a myriad of other things, mostly what stock the plastic was made from.
    Last edited by Blades; 11-14-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DSwizzy145 View Post
    How about you support systems that are HARD to emulate and NOT ones that are easy as fuck to emulate.
    What does this have to do with supporting emulation?

They are just throwing DOSBox on this thing.

Did you think they were going to develop their own emulators?

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

DOS and Win 9x gaming is equal to the Genesis for me in terms of nostalgia. I probably spent more time playing DOS games growing up than I did console games. Still, if I want to play a PC game I'll play it on PC.

I don't want to be negative, I just don't see much of a use for this. PC gamers in general aren't as attached to physical media and if they want to play a specific classic game, they either already have a way to play it or at worst it's some stubborn Win 9x game that won't be on this device anyway.

Now if this were some tiny machine that ran Windows 9x and DOS and I were able to install old games to it, particularly Windows ones, that would be neat. But it's just going to be a list of whatever DOS licenses they can get a hold of for cheap (I'm really not expecting much) and I've already got DOS box on a real PC as well as GOG for legally available games.

For people who actually want this, maybe to show off to their more casual gaming friends or something... great... but I feel like most retro PC gamers are savvy enough to not need it.

Full disclosure I think all of the "classic" consoles are pretty silly but I can understand their appeal to certain groups. With this however, as others stated earlier, PC gamers from that period were a much less casual crowd and I don't really get it unless it has a huge, high-quality library and low price that make it a good value over GOG. So we'll see I guess? I sincerely doubt it it will have $99 worth of DOS games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    What does this have to do with supporting emulation?

They are just throwing DOSBox on this thing.

Did you think they were going to develop their own emulators?
    Exactly. I'm not sure what he thinks this thing is actually going to be.
    Last edited by Obviously; 11-14-2018 at 11:59 AM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Revisiting PC video games from 1994-1999 should be a priority. Currently there is no way to play these games 100% without authentic bulky hardware. I have a Windows 98 Voodoo3/SB machine for this purpose from back in the day, but it's on borrowed time. The hard and optical drives are aging and don't have replacements etc. You need Glide and SB/AWE support or emulation for good compatibility, neither of which are currently available in functional form.

Some games do run but with severe bugs, or only in base mode (no CD audio, 3D...). For example, there is no way to play Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (1997) in 3D mode and full sound, which is a shame because it's the best version of the game by far. Nor can you play Descent II. Flight Simulator 98 doesn't run on anything except authentic hardware, and the list goes on.

Just visit VOGONS to see how much demand there is. If someone put in the engineering to develop a sellable box with Glide, full SB/AWE, and proper x86 support, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It'll probably never happen though. This little box is a step in the right direction though, even if it never materializes.

I have to say, I think it will.

Are you an idiot. Plastics yellow from sun exposure and a myriad of other things, mostly what stock the plastic was made from.
    Plastic yellows from heat as well as sun. I had a DC yellow that was not in sun at all. They also can yellow from nicotine. Nicotine stains plastics and walls yellow. Our PC's were in a brightly lit room with windows and never really yellowed. The color was a tad off but not like this at all. Still, when people got it new it wasn't yellow. SNES classic isn't yellow out of the box. Why would I want something to look like shit out of the box? Not everyone's PC did.
    Last edited by SegataS; 11-14-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Some people might also be forgetting that most old DOS games had slightly "complex" controls that absolutely required a keyboard.

I was playing TIE Fighter recently. Here are the keyboard commands:

Maybe you could get the basic commands working on a gamepad, but yeah, you're going to be severely limited when it comes to targeting and such.

Many games also absolutely require a mouse if you want to have any chance of winning (good luck playing Warcraft II without a mouse...).

Of course, you can play Commander Keen and Doom on a gamepad as the video shows, but that's a tiny fraction of DOS gaming.

If you're expected, then, to hook this emulator box up to a keyboard and mouse, why are you not just playing through DOSBox on your PC?

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Only way I'd be interested in this is if it had a mini monitor on it.

Some people might also be forgetting that most old DOS games had slightly "complex" controls that absolutely required a keyboard.
    I didn't comment on this because in the video the guy says it will work with mouse and keyboard.

I bet those things won't be included though.

why are you not just playing through DOSBox on your PC?
    Why not just download ePSXe for free and play all the PSX games you want lol

I like the ability to play on a TV for old PC games, I always missed that back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Why not just download ePSXe for free and play all the PSX games you want lol

I like the ability to play on a TV for old PC games, I always missed that back in the day
    Either way you'll still be playing them on DOS box.

It's not exactly a challenge to use a TV as monitor these days. Steam added a "big picture mode" for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Obviously View Post
    I didn't comment on this because in the video the guy says it will work with mouse and keyboard.

I bet those things won't be included though.
    Yes, but it's still not an easy setup. Using a mouse while chilling on the couch is not that great. Old DOS/Win9x games can be hard as nails, too, and require quite a bit of precision.

I've long-since abandoned the idea of playing most DOS games like that after messing around with it enough to realize it just doesn't work.

Just to make it clear, the PC Classic will have support for keyboard and mouse (though they don't say if they'll be bundled or if you'll have to provide them yourself)

From the FAQ: https://unitetechno.com/dt_catalog/pc-classic/
    Can I play with a keyboard/mouse instead of a joystick/gamepad?

Yes! All of the games will be configured to support a gamepad, keyboard, and/or mouse, as appropriate.
    So at least that part is covered.

That said, yeah, this is everybody chasing after Nintendo. Call me when there's a Mega Drive Micro instead :​v

EDIT: or if it turns out the PC Classic will let you boot into a DOS environment and load your own games. Theeeeen there may be some more appeal to it.

I'm not the market for this. I had a pretty souped up 286 running at 20mhz with 5mb of ram and 20mb HDD with an SBPro. Once I got my 486 and the low end pentium setups in the mid late 90s, I was set. Now with ScummVM, DosBox, and GOG as was mentioned, I just don't see a need for this things existence. I'm even able to run the original Wing Commander pretty well with the DosBox settings I have in place.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    It looks nothing like an IBM AT, they just printed a little plastic box and stuck a tiny 5.25 floppy on the outside.
    on button? oh well lets design it to look like a key lock.

Clever, but the end result looks like hot garbage.
    Thatís what the clones looked like during the AT era, though they were whitemore or beige. They went for the color that a real AT computer (discoloration) looks like now. Itís almost a mirror image of the 5170.

https://www.google.com/search?q=IBM+...CbCu9h-4jVI0rM
    Last edited by gamevet; 11-14-2018 at 01:20 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

They should just join GOG and help make all of their library compatible with modern PCs without fan fixes/patches, which they clearly need help with.
    On a wave of mutilation

https://minirevver.weebly.com/

Thread Information