Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Owners Of LoveRetro and LoveRoms Ordered To Pay Over 12 Million Dollars To Nintendo

Default Owners Of LoveRetro and LoveRoms Ordered To Pay Over 12 Million Dollars To Nintendo

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

A bunch of DS ROMS.zip - 9.15 GB (9,825,882,112 bytes)
    [SNES] - GoodSNES v3.23.rar - 2.20 GB (2,372,501,504 bytes)
    No-Intro-Collection_2013-06-14.zip - 35.5 GB (38,203,629,568 bytes)

I think I'm good. Alas, I didn't get around to building an archive server, so I don't have a lot in the way of disc-based backups, even of the hundreds of disc games in the DVD and CD towers on the other side of my office. Ah well.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Go ahead and try to distribute them online. You'll get reported quickly to anti-piracy organizations and likely end up with cease and deist orders.

Or if you're like this married couple from Arizona you're going to learn the hard way. Nintendo is going to set a example with them. The fact they admitted guilt already means Nintendo is in the Judges pocket. They will end up with a undisclosed settlement out of court. They will likely end up with leans against their assets.

I'm not saying you can stop piracy btw. Like the video says where there is a will there is a way. But what's not going to stop either is these companies coming after you for damages.

Some things I don't agree with the youtuber, When he tells someone its ok to to protect your copyrighted work but then tells them they have to protect the past or their selfish. If its their IP they have no obligation to keep the game alive, they can let it go dark and forgotten. He don't own it they do. He speaks out of entitlement as you think you have a say so with what other do with their work. You don't understand copyright. The selfish person is him. He thinks he has a right to dictate how other peoples work is shared.
    Last edited by needler420; 11-14-2018 at 12:29 PM.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Any idea of how much money they were pulling in through the sites?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by needler420 View Post
    Some things I don't agree with the youtuber, When he tells someone its ok to to protect your copyrighted work but then tells them they have to protect the past or their selfish. If its their IP they have no obligation to keep the game alive, they can let it go dark and forgotten. He don't own it they do. He speaks out of entitlement as you think you have a say so with what other do with their work. You don't understand copyright. The selfish person is him. He thinks he has a right to dictate how other peoples work is shared.

Yeah, I donít agree with the ďPRUZERV HISTRY!!!Ē argument either. Itís a pretty lame excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Yeah, I donít agree with the ďPRUZERV HISTRY!!!Ē argument either. Itís a pretty lame excuse.
    Preserving history is one thing. Telling a content creator he has to is a dictator. If someone wants to let their work go dead and forgotten, that gives you no right to it just because you want to preserve it. That content creator may not want his work "PRUZERV". He has a legal right to sue you when you take someones else work and do whatever you please with it.

Go ahead and try to distribute them online. You'll get reported quickly to anti-piracy organizations and likely end up with cease and deist orders.

Or if you're like this married couple from Arizona you're going to learn the hard way. Nintendo is going to set a example with them. The fact they admitted guilt already means Nintendo is in the Judges pocket. They will end up with a undisclosed settlement out of court. They will likely end up with leans against their assets.

I'm not saying you can stop piracy btw. Like the video says where there is a will there is a way. But what's not going to stop either is these companies coming after you for damages.

Unless there's been other companies forcing cease and desists, The only one doing this is Nintendo. I'm sorry, but fuck Nintendo. If it was modern stuff, I could see their point, but for stuff from the NES era? It doesn't make me feel bad from them just because they want to charge the same games that have been unaltered since the 80s and 90s. And it's going to be the same games we have seen since Virtual Console's debut in 2006. I get they are within their rights, but this is a huge waste of time.

Also, ReviewTechUSA? That guy is a fucking moron. He wasn't bad at first, and then just became a bit of click bait person the last few years.
    Last edited by sull56ivan2010; 11-14-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Preserving history is one thing. Telling a content creator he has to is a dictator. If someone wants to let their work go dead and forgotten, that gives you no right to it just because you want to preserve it. That content creator may not want his work "PRUZERV". He has a legal right to sue you when you take someones else work and do whatever you please with it.
    Agreed. There were tons of very very good licensed games back in the day, and unfortunately those licenses expired and the companies who used them have gone under. As a result, many of these games will likely never see a re-release.

I use roms somewhat liberally myself, and itís annoying when one Iím looking for is unavailable. But to shake my fists at the people responsible and try to tell them that what I want to happen is more important than what they want to happen (which is essentially what all these emulation debates boil down to) is petulant, ignorant, and frankly embarrassing.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I don't emulate at all but this is going too far. I guess they did this because Nintendo Switch Online you get 3 NES games and possibly SNES and later on every month. I don't think this was harmful to NSO at all despite what Nintendo thinks. (that would be their joke of what they call voice chat) I'm not even getting into my personal views of Emulation. 12 million is nothing to Nintendo but that probably just ruined the couple. Oh and obligatory fuck Reviewtechusa. WOn't even click his garbage videos.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Also, let's not conflate the idea of downloading ROMs with that of profiting from running a site that offers ROMs.

A lot of ROM sites use shady tactics to install spyware/adware and are just full of invasive ads.

I have little sympathy for such operators who profit off of the hard work of preservationists. Again, ROM preservation should be completely divorced from running a ROM site. There are good alternatives to distribution that don't involve visiting these sites.

Road Rasher

At least the PC Classic ALLOWS you to add your own physical or downloaded DOS games legally via SD Card slot in the front of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm Down View Post
    Sony makes garbage and couldn't produce a durable piece of electronic equipment to save their lives. Have a look around the forum, not a Sony fan in the slightest. They owe me money as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't change reality though. Some Sonytards just like to dismiss reality and warp it to fit their idiotic love for a goddamn company.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

I didn't even know they made any money. If they did, then they had it coming.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    It's mainly the Nintendo and Console fanboys that comes up with these dumbass excuses!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psalm Down View Post
    Sony makes garbage and couldn't produce a durable piece of electronic equipment to save their lives. Have a look around the forum, not a Sony fan in the slightest. They owe me money as far as I'm concerned.

Doesn't change reality though. Some Sonytards just like to dismiss reality and warp it to fit their idiotic love for a goddamn company.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I admit that I don't know in this particular case, but have you ever seen a ROM site that isn't chock full of ads or "download boosters"? A quick Google search suggests that LoveROMs used a "fast download" browser extension (adware).

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuickSciFi View Post
    I doubt that they made a ton of money off of advertising on their website. The damages they are paying were likely for supposed "lost profit" for Nintendo on their eshop and future sales of old franchise titles. Most ROM sites won't carry Nintendo's 1st party ROMs, because they know that Nintendo will screw them over.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information