Quantcast

Thread: Questions about the GEMS Driver

Default Questions about the GEMS Driver

Well, none of the articles on GEMS note the number of Sega CD games, such as Wild Woody or Eternal Champions, that used it for sound effects. How many SEGA CD games used GEMS for sound effects? Did GEMS have the ability to use the PSG driver of the Genesis? If so, were there any Master System/Game Gear games that used GEMS? Also, apparently the driver evolved from the "Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin" driver, which also evolved previously into the Novotrade and TJ&E drivers. Is this true?
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Did GEMS have the ability to use the PSG driver of the Genesis?
    Yes. Some GEMS games like Comix Zone and The Ooze used it well. Most developers just didn't bother with it though.

If so, were there any Master System/Game Gear games that used GEMS?
    Not that I know of. I imagine that it would make more sense for devs to use older SMS/GG tailored sound engines rather than adapting one from the Genesis.

Also, apparently the driver evolved from the "Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin" driver, which also evolved previously into the Novotrade and TJ&E drivers. Is this true?
    I've never heard this before. Sounds interesting though! segaretro.org has this paragraph in their GEMS article:

GEMS (Genesis Editor for Music and Sound effects) is a sound driver used in 186 documented games for the Sega Genesis, including Sonic Spinball. It was developed by Jonathan Miller (drivers and firmware), Burt Sloane (programming), Chris Grigg and Mark Miller (concept and design) of Recreational Brainware by Sega's request, and mainly used by western developers.
    Interestingly, Mark Miller is credited for music and sfx and Jonathan Miller for programming in the spiderman game. Mark Miller is credited for SFX in TJ&E. Could be true! The original GEMS source code and SDK was released in 2007. Maybe some disassembly could be done on the spiderman game to find similarities.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I imagine the question about Master System comes because of SMPS, but in that case the reason was that SMPS was itself evolved from a Master System driver (if you look at the comments about the Phantasy Star II disassembly you'll find out it says that the code is written in a way that it looks as if it was transcribed from Z80 to 68000).

CORD NAME: BLACK-FIRE Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Here is the most comprehensive info about GEMS you will find.
    Saw the video a couple times myself, good stuff.
    Yeah Mark Miller was a composer but also tried his hand at game design a bit with good results in my opinion (Chakan).

I do not recall the Master System being mentioned but yeah I'm pretty sure you could use PSG within GEMS.

If you think GEMS is trash definitely check this video out.
    Notable appearances, in the comments section by the number one Matt Furniss and Tommy Tallarico.
    The former had its own engine made by Shaun Hollingworth, the latter actually used GEMS.

Credits to the very good youtube channel GST大好き for the video.

Since 2014, I livestream a show called Mega Marathon here www.twitch.tv/goati_ and it's about beating every single MD game, all regions, homebrews, unreleased, etc., while being informative.
    With a 68000 heart on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Goati View Post
    Here is the most comprehensive info about GEMS you will find.
    Saw the video a couple times myself, good stuff.
    Yeah Mark Miller was a composer but also tried his hand at game design a bit with good results in my opinion (Chakan).

I do not recall the Master System being mentioned but yeah I'm pretty sure you could use PSG within GEMS.

If you think GEMS is trash definitely check this video out.
    Notable appearances, in the comments section by the number one Matt Furniss and Tommy Tallarico.
    The former had its own engine made by Shaun Hollingworth, the latter actually used GEMS.

Credits to the very good youtube channel GST大好き for the video.

Thank you! I was just curious about how capable the driver was and where it was used on the SEGA CD, because the wikis don't cover the SEGA CD games that used it to provide SFX for their game (much like how Sonic CD uses SMPS and the PCM sound chip). And no, I do not think GEMS is trash.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Thread Information