Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phantasy Star 1: best version to play,, in English?

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Question Phantasy Star 1: best version to play,, in English?

I want to play the original Phantasy Star at some point, probably with emulation, and I always heard that the Japanese version has better music (than other releases).

So is there a good English translated version, with the Japanese music? (I was just looking but didn't see something like that. Is there a good way to have both English and the JP music, at the same time?)

There is this:

http://www.smspower.org/Translations...asyStar-SMS-EN

You need to patch this with the Japanese ROM. The translation is different than the original Master System version but more closer to its original Japanese.

Outside of using a flash cart on real hardware or via emulation, the upcoming Sega Ages release on the Switch apparently will let you listen to the Japanese FM while playing the game in English.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I've seen screenshots of a revision of that translation hack that fixes Tyrone's name. I haven't found the patch or rom myself though.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

So would it be best to play thru the JP version first, using the language hack? Or do u guys suggest I play thru the US version 1st, to see how most people would have first played it?

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    So would it be best to play thru the JP version first, using the language hack? Or do u guys suggest I play thru the US version 1st, to see how most people would have first played it?
    JP version all day. If you are concerned about playing it exactly like US gamers did back then, you are in for a long, hard and expensive quest which should include finding proper middle to low end CRTs from the period, using RF signal, buying the original cart, etc etc and still that would just emulate (pun intended) that feeling and period to a degree that doesn't look very sane to me (though people could post about scanline doublers all night long so who knows).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    JP version all day. If you are concerned about playing it exactly like US gamers did back then, you are in for a long, hard and expensive quest which should include finding proper middle to low end CRTs from the period, using RF signal, buying the original cart, etc etc and still that would just emulate (pun intended) that feeling and period to a degree that doesn't look very sane to me (though people could post about scanline doublers all night long so who knows).
    Not sure if I understand everything u said lol. But re: the overall situation of playing thru PS1:

I was probably going to use an emulator, either way.

To play either the US version... OR to play the JP version with the English-lang. version.

Either way, I'll probably play on a 16" CRT monitor... of a Win 10 PC...

WCPO Agent

Why bother with the US version then? There's zero reason to use it as it is not the best version of the game.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

If I was about to play Phantasy Star for the first time I would go with the US SMS version. Or if I wanted something a bit more modern I'd play the fan translated Phantasy Star Generation 1 (Sega Ages 2500). I really enjoyed that remake.

http://pscave.com/psg1/download/
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

WCPO Agent

I really don't get it. It's like playing Sonic 1 on emulation or via Everdrive and not using REV01 or some bugfix hack

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    If I was about to play Phantasy Star for the first time I would go with the US SMS version. Or if I wanted something a bit more modern I'd play the fan translated Phantasy Star Generation 1 (Sega Ages 2500). I really enjoyed that remake.

http://pscave.com/psg1/download/
    Cool thanks, so why do u prefer the US version though? (That was what I was mainly trying to ask, if there were people who prefer the US version, and why?)

It's probably just because the US version is the one I grew up with. The SMS translated version is cool but not official. And while some of the FM tunes are great Phantasy Star's music is not 100% better in FM vs. PSG. Some tunes I prefer in FM and others in PSG. For example and for me personally I find the PSG combat music and sound effects are better compared to FM. And you'll be in combat a lot.
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

I did this:

Got an FM chip for my Master System. Then a friend of mine got me a cartridge the fan-translation with the FM soundtrack. And I played through that (though I did beat the original Western version about 20 years ago). Like thesegadude, I prefer some tunes on PSG, but most of them are better in FM, plus the fan translation is better than the original one, with names making more sense being linked to later games in the series, for example Lutz instead of Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post
    Outside of using a flash cart on real hardware or via emulation, the upcoming Sega Ages release on the Switch apparently will let you listen to the Japanese FM while playing the game in English.
    It also has an auto-mapping feature! I think it's the same U.S. SMS translation, though.

Nameless One Silence The Fallen's Avatar

This thread has helped me out a lot!

I have only ever beaten PS IV and that was back in 99'. I have been wanting to sit down and really have a go at beating the series in order.

It sounds like the switch version will be the best mix. Retaining the original version with FM tracks and auto map. Unfortunately I don't have a switch yet. So it looks like I'll give the fan translation of the JP version a go. The translation looks really good too.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Furnessly View Post
    iirc, SegaAges Vol.32 Phantasy Star Complete Collection on PS2 will allow you to do this also, as well as being able to increase walking speed, and save anywhere.

Thread Information