Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phantasy Star 1: best version to play,, in English?

Auto-map? That spoils half the fun. Pen and grid paper all the way for me!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I did this:

Got an FM chip for my Master System. Then a friend of mine got me a cartridge the fan-translation with the FM soundtrack. And I played through that (though I did beat the original Western version about 20 years ago). Like thesegadude, I prefer some tunes on PSG, but most of them are better in FM, plus the fan translation is better than the original one, with names making more sense being linked to later games in the series, for example Lutz instead of Noah.
    So just last week I finished Phantasy Star again. This time I played the SMS fan translated version with FM restored (I have an FM mod on my SMS).

It made me realize how well this game has aged. It's just good. (New gamers might find it too old; it is an XP grinding RPG.)

So I'm sure now the original Phantasy Star version is the best version to play. 2nd place is the Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star Generation 1 remake.

The SMS translated version is cool to play if you need a slightly tweaked version to spice up a game that most of us are already very familiar with.

Ultimately I feel any version is still a good option. Hard to go wrong.
    Sega Dude

Visit me @ Retro Megabit

Thread Information