Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ecco the Dolphin MD

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Assman View Post
    I double-checked to see what happens when the Queen kills you in revision 01 the other night, and you do simply restart the final fight rather than being kicked back to The Machine. I used the debug mode to skip to the end, but I don't presume that to have an effect on it, and it's in line with my recollection. Have you checked this recently? Maybe that was a change made between the original Japanese release and the English revision, but I remember part of the reason I was interested in that version was because I had read something about that behavior.
    OK, I finally double-checked the JP version of the boss-fight.

Basically, you and I are both right. If the Queen actually EATS Ecco, then he will definitely get sent to The Stomach.

However, you're actually right that if you die just from taking damage, then the boss-fight will restart. (So this was a small oversight in the review.) I'll have to ask Melf to change that bit of info, in the review.

As far as I can tell, now it seems that the JP version of the boss-fight, will never send you to The Machine, ever. How strange, lol. I probably mixed it up, mostly because I can't think of the boss-fight, without also thinking of getting sent to The Machine... After all these years, it's such an obvious association, lol.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale View Post
    This is a great article! Thanks for taking the time to thoroughly research and write this!

The Sega 3D Classics releases were accompanied by extensive interviews with the project leads at M2 and Sega, and occasionally with some of the members of the original development teams. This one goes into some detail about the differences between the original and Japanese versions of Ecco the Dolphin, and includes some interesting reminiscences with Ryoichi Hasegawa, who managed the Japanese localization. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/10...-versions-one/
    Thanks for the cool link. It actually makes me think, for the first time, that I should buy a 3DS just to play Ecco in 3D, lol. I had never really considered it before... but it's probably really cool with 3D effects for the scenery.

Wildside Expert

I had no idea about this. Interesting read!

Thread Information