Quantcast

Thread: Phantasy Star 2 and Sword of Vermillion pack-in hintbooks

Wildside Expert

Default Phantasy Star 2 and Sword of Vermillion pack-in hintbooks

I owned Sword of the Vermillion in the '90s, and it came with a detailed walkthrough. I know there was also one for Phantasy Star 2 - it's archived at segaretro - with maps of all the dungeons. I have read on the Phantasy Star wiki that it was "included with early copies". Can anyone confirm if it was packaged with the PAL release, or only the North American NTSC release? Or that it was really removed from later prints?

And we might as well make this a thread about pack-in walkthroughs. Any others on Genesis? I know neither my copies of Phantasy Star III or IV had them, but then the dungeons were a lot more straightforward.
    Last edited by Jules Walter; 12-12-2018 at 07:54 PM.

The hint book was included with the PAL release as well, as seen on the box:

The third and fourth entries in the series also had hint books, but they weren't included with the games, probably because they were much bigger than the box. Same with Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Faery Tale Adventure and (IIRC) Buck Rogers have full walkthroughs integrated into their manuals, but they're not bound separately.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I believe the German version of Landstalker came with a guide of some sort in addition to the manual, although I'm only basing this off of what I've seen on ebay before.

CORD NAME: BLACK-FIRE Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

I can confirm buck rogers: countdown to doomsday comes with a pack-in walkthrough.
    BUT, unlike the Faery Tale Adventure one, it's so well written that it complements the game's 1000 empty rooms and it adds a bunch of enjoyment to the game. It's descriptive and narrative.

I think Starflight also counts, I remember it has a mad good ship journal integrated that gives you some tips and I think more too, can't remember right now.
    Since 2014, I livestream a show called Mega Marathon here www.twitch.tv/goati_ and it's about beating every single MD game, all regions, homebrews, unreleased, etc., while being informative.
    With a 68000 heart on fire.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I believe the German version of Landstalker came with a guide of some sort in addition to the manual, although I'm only basing this off of what I've seen on ebay before.
    It did. Just uploaded pictures of it on my instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Brdg9sel..._web_copy_link
    Guardiana, the Megadrive Musem.
    Come and join us at http://www.guardiana.net !

I read on DefunctGames - link - that these guides made PSII receive smaller notes from some publications - i.e. EGM. It's pretty weird.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

It's not so weird when you remember that one of the main grabs of those magazines was to publish hints for games to try to convince people who bought said games to buy them (especially for the most popular games). Including a hintbook with the game essentially ruins that, so of course they absolutely hated it.

Wildside Expert

I can see how following a walkthrough can spoil a game in most cases, and I can see how a magazine reviewer might legitimately take issue with that, even if the magazine they work for has a walkthrough section (it's not like you have to agree with everything your company does to work there). But I can also imagine that some of them may have been speaking from a position of conflict of interest. It's not like you have to use the hintbook. It's just a nice tool. Especially with Phantasy Star 2, where the dungeons go way overboard.

Thread Information