Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most difficult 16 -bit era games

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Genesis Most difficult 16 -bit era games

Of what I have played.

Hagane

Target Earth

Castlevania Bloodlines

Gaiares

Super Star Wars

Comics Zone

Alien Soldier

I never played it but I have always heard Back To the Future III first stage is absolute murder.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Jake Armitage's Avatar

Rings of Power.

You get to die a lot.

You have no idea where you have to go to accomplish vaguely defined goals- along the way you get to die a lot.

On the plus side you get to explore a lot (when you aren't dying or already dead at any rate).

Did I mention you get to die a lot?

--------------------------

King's Bounty can be frustrating - mostly because the gameplay is so weird.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Super Star Wars
    I can't speak for the others, but Super Star Wars is hard in a totally bullshit kind of way. Like, endlessly spawning enemies that inundate you, combined with no invincibility frames. Super Empire Strikes Back was the same way.

I take that back, I can speak for the others. Castlevania Bloodlines is hard in a totally reasonable, 'Castlevania' kind of way.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Ghouls n Ghosts, Ecco the Dolphin, Dick Tracy (first few levels are easy peasy but the game becomes rock hard at the end), Eternal Champions, pretty much every side scrolling shoot-'em-up...I'm sure there are many more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

The Ooze. From the makers of Comix Zone!

I only ever able to beat it once for the SEGA-16 beat every game event, and snagged the "bad" ending. I don't know what kind of sick masochist would go for the good ending. (Gotta collect 100% of hidden DNA orbs, which can be easily missed).

Contra Hard Corps is pretty tough too, but I havn't spent as much time on that one.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    The Ooze. From the makers of Comix Zone!

I only ever able to beat it once for the SEGA-16 beat every game event, and snagged the "bad" ending. I don't know what kind of sick masochist would go for the good ending. (Gotta collect 100% of hidden DNA orbs, which can be easily missed).

Contra Hard Corps is pretty tough too, but I havn't spent as much time on that one.
    I find Comix Zone pretty damn difficult too now that you mention it.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Rampart (Genesis version). I couldn't even beat it on Easy.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I'll only speak of MD since it's the only 16-bit console I have a good handle on the library with.

Twin Cobra (Genesis/MD version): Surely this is the roughest shooter on the machine. I'm playing the JP version, so I'm not sure if it was neutered for the western release (quite often shmups were, or in rare case like Hellfire were made harder) but on defaults this is like the 16-bit shooting game apocalypse as far as I'm concerned. Enemies will not hesitate to point blank at the bottom of the screen, which is now squashed horizontally so there's not a lot of room either. I love it.

Undeadline (MD): This one isn't particularly easy, either. A small mistake can snowball into losing all your life 'bar' in couple of seconds with little invincibility time on recovery. That's your credit gone. So don't make any mistakes! The fact that the one weapon in the game that won't get you killed for picking it is married to a finnicky chest cycling system (shoot the chest the right number of times whilst fending off an onslaught of merciless enemies, whoops, you went one too far) makes for some pretty intense recoveries.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Adventures of Batman and Robin comes to mind. Never beaten that one, and I know I've whipped the controller in frustration with it a few times over the years.

From the op, Gaires has always given me fits. Great game, but brutal difficulty. I've never been great at shoot em ups, but I've beaten most of the big ones on the Genesis (Truxton, Musha, TF3). I can't get very far in Gaires though.

Comic Zone I can beat. It's tough, but beatable if you practice a bit. Short game, and everything hurts you, even punching or kicking doors open. So you need to utilize your weapons and carryables carefully. There are different paths you can take too, some of which can offer more helpful pickups.

Bloodlines isn't that bad difficulty-wise for a Castlevania game. I've beaten it a number of times. But, I'm a longtime CV gamer, so I'm more accustomed to the style of gameplay. People talk about the first one on NES being brutal, but I can beat that one at will. It was one of the first games I got for the console back in 89 though, so I've put tons of time into it. And Bloodlines is just an extension of that core CV gameplay.

I dont know that I've completed any of the Super Star Wars games now that I think of it. I recall putting serious time into them, at least the first two, but never beating any. So those are probably high up there for me too.

And you mentioned Back to the Future 3. Yeah, that stupid horse riding level is brutal. No way around it. There are so many things you have to dodge, and you have a very short time to stop Clara's stagecoach. It's definitely a test of endurance.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Forgotten Worlds (Genesis): Iíve only played the Arcade game and the much shorter Amiga. Edison. Thereís no way Iíd finish the arcade game, and Iíve heard that the Genesis game is pretty faithful to the arcade game.

Gradius III (SNES): I pretty much die at the same area, even with maxed out weapons and all my ships. The level with all of the narrow tunnels that slowly speeds up and turns into a tunnel race is brutal.

I agree with those Super Star Wars games being hard. The cheap deaths are frustrating.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

If non-action games can be included: The Immortal

Master of Shinobi

Not every horizontal shooter is that hard, but Thunder Force IV is.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    If non-action games can be included: The Immortal
    I could never get that far in the Amiga version. I donít know if thereís some sort of moves Iím not doing right.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

MD shooters:
    Thunder Force IV mania
    Aero Blaster (pce port is even harder)
    Toaplan shooters
    Raiden with the special stage
    Battle Squadron

SFC/SNES shooters:
    Super R-Type and III
    Konami shooters at top difficulty
    Super Aleste lunatic
    Area 88 top difficulty
    Sonic Wings
    Last edited by Vludi; 12-24-2018 at 06:31 PM.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. I bought the SNES Mini earlier this year and played this game a bit. I could never beat the first stage. The slowdown killed me every single time.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information