Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy 20th Birthday Sonic Adventure!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Sonic Happy 20th Birthday Sonic Adventure!

When I saw this intro back when I first played the game it blew me away. It's still one of my fave intros ever. The soundtrack is still one of my faves to listen to in games.

Last edited by SegataS; 12-23-2018 at 11:44 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

No, Sonic Adventure: don't have a happy birthday. You're a bit crap and your weird Sega mo-cap character animations make my skin crawl.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

That birthday cake fucking rocks. As far as Sonic Adventure is concerned I enjoyed it for a bit when I first got my Dreamcast, but then games like Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia came out and I forgot all about it. As far as 3D Sonic games go it's not bad, but that really isn't saying much.

The best Sonic game, with one of the greatest soundtracks to boot(with an amazing Q Sound mix) . I loved the adventure part of it, loved the levels like Speed Highway and Windy City) loved the little set piece touches like the killer whale, The hurricane, the helicopter ride and even the amazing touch of having the fans who were at the 1998 New Challenge Sonic conference (when Sonic Adv was 1st shown off) chat SONIC 3 times to be used in the finished game for the Super Sonic final battle... what a lovely touch that was and was pure SEGA magic.
    SEGA were the best in the CSK days.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Sonic Adventure is the only 3D Sonic game that I ever needed.

It made the Dreamcast feel like magic to me and I truly loved every minute of it.

Sonic Adventure 2 on the other hand is a Sonic title I celebrated only after selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    Sonic Adventure is the only 3D Sonic game that I ever needed.

It made the Dreamcast feel like magic to me and I truly loved every minute of it.

Sonic Adventure 2 on the other hand is a Sonic title I celebrated only after selling it.
    Well said. I even loved the Christmas DLC to Sonic Adv. God SEGA were so far ahead of the rest back in those days and so forward thinking for a console developer. Sonic Adv 2 was a letdown, while it looked stunning it lost the Adv part and the lack of focus on Sonic levels was a mistake. Shame too, the Sonic levels in Sonic Adv II were brilliant too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I played it a little bit back then and got bored fast and never finished it. Not a terribly exciting game for me.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

counter of beans Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Cafeman's Avatar

I recently upgraded my Dreamcast to use the Akura VGA-HDMI box, and it looks so sweet on my HDTV that I have been replaying the DC version of Sonic Adventure. I have reviewed the Dreamcastify site's list of SADX downgrades and changes too. For the most part, I can live with these changes since they are on the subtle side, and GameCube SADX runs at 60 FPS with more detailed character models, and the Chao Garden stats are no longer tied to using a VMU like on the DC version. So it's not like the GameCube version was broken or anything like that.

However, to my surprise, I am very much enjoying the original DC version. The gameplay feels a lot like a 3D version of the Genesis games. It is so fun to bounce across the sky destroying hovering botniks, then hitting a zipper and racing down the track and maybe doing a loop somewhere, trying to pick up rings as you go. I find the level designs quite good with lots of places to shave off a few seconds if trying for an A emblem. I will admit that the execution isn't quite there; I'm frequently fighting the camera and trying to see where I'm going, mostly when exploring off the beaten path however. The DC version is not as glitch as I thought, too -- I haven't fallen thru a floor yet, although I recall that happening in one of the versions more often. I have fallen off the end of the level of road to my death many times though, but that is usually a camera issue.

You know, the story is good, too! Especially how SA explains why Knuckles guards the Master Emerald and his ancestors along with Tikal's story. Robotnik is voiced excellently too. Last night I cracked open some Black and Tans, read Crisis on Infinite Earths while listening to Sonic Adventures soundtrack, and it was a nice "vacation evening off" for me.

I also popped in SA2, which has improved visuals but I can't stand all the characters.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Hope it will come true. Said for years SEGA should remake game using the Hedgehog engine. I also wish SEGA would remake Skies of Arcadia using the Canvas engine. SEGA Japan could remake/master quite a few DC classics with its current tech
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Ninetailed Noob Raging in the Streets KitsuneNight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    seeing is believing it cant be worse then the 1998 original
    which is a bit crap nowadays with its drunk camera and dodgy hit detection and spazzy controls

the original spyro is as old as sa 1 is and it doesnt have any of those issues
    Kitsune in a hat

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Still the best ever 3D Sonic game imo. Speed Highway and Emerald Coast are easily two of the best levels ever created in the franchise, great soundtrack, VMU interaction. Title had it all really. I remember the first time I saw Sonic Adventure and you got the same impression like when Super Mario 64 released a few years prior. That video games were advancing forward rapidly.

All games look great today really, so it's rare you see something that's a massive jump from anything before like the older console gens. One of the reasons Sonic Adventure stood out so much, not to mention the change of art design for Sonic. The famous cover. SEGA really should remaster the title for widescreen TVs.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    Still the best ever 3D Sonic game imo. Speed Highway and Emerald Coast are easily two of the best levels ever created in the franchise, great soundtrack, VMU interaction. Title had it all really. I remember the first time I saw Sonic Adventure and you got the same impression like when Super Mario 64 released a few years prior. That video games were advancing forward rapidly.

All games look great today really, so it's rare you see something that's a massive jump from anything before like the older console gens. One of the reasons Sonic Adventure stood out so much, not to mention the change of art design for Sonic. The famous cover. SEGA really should remaster the title for widescreen TVs.
    Agreed. This game is for the best Sonic game ever made. The sense of adventure was amazing at the time. Speed Highway and Windy Valley are my fav Sonic levels in any game. I loved to see the game totally and utterly remade with far bigger levels and Boom gameplay. Also, I feel the music score never gets the credit it should, the sence of the scale of the music is also huge, and the music captures perfectly what's happing on screen and what sort of environment you are in.

I'm not keen on remakes, but there are some games that should be done with the new tech inside SEGA Japan. Sonic Adv is one (with Hedgehog II engine) and also Canvas is another that should be used for Skies of Arcadia remake.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Agreed. This game is for the best Sonic game ever made. The sense of adventure was amazing at the time. Speed Highway and Windy Valley are my fav Sonic levels in any game. I loved to see the game totally and utterly remade with far bigger levels and Boom gameplay. Also, I feel the music score never gets the credit it should, the sence of the scale of the music is also huge, and the music captures perfectly what's happing on screen and what sort of environment you are in.

I'm not keen on remakes, but there are some games that should be done with the new tech inside SEGA Japan. Sonic Adv is one (with Hedgehog II engine) and also Canvas is another that should be used for Skies of Arcadia remake.
    The musical score in Skies of Arcadia was excellent too, especially the Battle Themes! Maybe SEGA will eventually port over the Dreamcast original or the 'Legends' GameCube edition to the Switch.

I'd hope it's the Dreamcast version with the Legends content. Sure the sacrifices on the Gamecube were minor. Making cutscenes a few seconds shorter and transitional ones, some cut entirely. Still, be nice to have everything and a less muffled OST. Gamecube version isn't a bad port but sacrifices had to be made to fit on one Gamecube disc of 1.5 GB. Also, put it on PS4 and Switch and PC. A game like that needs to be enjoyed by as many as possible.

Thread Information