Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if Saturn had lasted one more year in the U.S.?

Wildside Expert

Default What if Saturn had lasted one more year in the U.S.?

Let's say Saturn hadn't died so quickly in 1997-1998 in the U.S. What if Sega had sold another 1-2 million Saturns between 1995-1997. What would we have gotten if Saturn had enough of an install base to be supported for one more year? Here's my thoughts and opinions.

-Radiant Silvergun. Should be a no-brainer since it was well received in Japan and used 3D polygons.
    -Resident Evil 2 - another no-brainer since I believe it was already being considered.
    -Shining Force III additional scenarios - I know people have always clamored for these, and I believe they have been fan translated for English. I wonder if the first Shining Force III sold well enough that Sega would have considered localizing others for the U.S.
    -Sega Ages Vol. 2 - Since Vol. 1 was called "Vol. 1", clearly there was a plan for Vol. 2. I would choose Power Drift, Galaxy Force 2 and OutRunners.
    -Street Fighter EX - I enjoy the 3D spinoffs, even though they're not nearly as good as the Alpha or Vs. games.
    -4MB RAM Cart games - I still don't know if another year of Saturn would have been able to convince SOA to bring over the RAM cart. Maybe do it the Nintendo way and include it with the first release (like DK 64), then offer it separately later on.
    -Street Fighter Collection 2 - Capcom supported Saturn (and eventually Dreamcast) in every other way possible, so why not bring this one over from Japan?
    -Castlevania: SOTN
    -Need for Speed 2 & 3 - #3 (Hot Pursuit) is one of my favorite PS1 racers. I don't know if EA could have worked the Saturn well enough to handle the polygons & lighting effects as well as the PS1.
    -Wipeout 2 & 3 - Much like NFS, could they have maxed out the Saturn to handle them?
    -Virtua Fighter 3 - there's been enough discussion of this recently that I don't have anything more to add.
    -Indy 500 - Still baffles me as to why this one was never ported. High profile name and Sega arcade pedigree would virtually guarantee success. Must have been a licensing issue.
    -Dead or Alive - a 3D graphical showcase during an era when 3D 1 on 1 fighters were huge. Sega should have insisted on this one being brought over from Japan regardless.
    Last edited by redsox2013; 01-07-2019 at 03:06 PM.

Yeah could have had some good stuff and maybe Working Designs would have brought over Lunar 1 and II, Grandia, Dragon Force II , Princess Crown, Wachenroder to the Saturn. Its also a shame GTA and Driver never came to the Saturn, the VDP 2 could have made short work of those games

BTW, Indy 500 was coming to the Saturn via the CS Rally team, but work was stopped and they were made to work on Daytona USA remix instead.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert

I'm sure I'm forgetting about some other 3rd party PS1 games from 1998-99 that could have also had Saturn ports.

I doubt it would have made any difference. Corporate-wise, SEGA knew they had a dud, and started work swiftly on the Dreamcast. Plus Sony was way way ahead in its install base, had mountains of cash for marketing, including marketing of 3rd party games, and the like. N64 had a huge debut as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    -Wipeout 2 & 3 - Much like NFS, could they have maxed out the Saturn to handle them?
    Wipeout 2097/XL was already ported to the Saturn. While better than the original port, it still has a lower frame rate, dithered transparencies, and worse textures than the PS1 version:

Wipeout 3 however would be impossible. By the time that game was made Sony had already bought Psygnosis and Wipeout was pretty much a first party franchise. That's why it hasn't been on any other platform since. Not to mention it came out in late 1999, by that point the Dreamcast was out and Saturn was dead and buried. Even if it lasted one more year this would be a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    I'm sure I'm forgetting about some other 3rd party PS1 games from 1998-99 that could have also had Saturn ports.
    Its a shame that we didn't see Wild 9; which Dave Perry was telling EDGE was pushing the Saturn to its limits with low-level assembly code. Maybe if the Saturn had been pushed for another year we would have seen the likes of Metal Slug, Drift King 97 (looked great for a Saturn racer) and King of the Spirits II , Gun Griffion II, Virus ,Dungeons & Dragons Collection, Bulk Slash brought over
    RE II was never going to happen though , even though work did start on it, SEGA Japan already decided along with Capcom, to move work over to the DC, which made sense and in some ways I wished, Deep Fear would have been moved to DC production to help with its launch
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Well by 1997/98 finding a store that sold new Saturn games was about as easy as finding a store that sells newly released Vita games now. Would have made little to no impact and today those games would be insanely expensive.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

AKA Mister Xiado WCPO Agent Raijin Z's Avatar

There are too many what-ifs that have to fall in the right direction for the Saturn to have reached parity with, or exceed the success of the PlayStation. Sega's own worst enemy had always been itself, even if you don't believe the accounts of ramped-up infighting due to the success of Sonic as a pack-in title. I would think that if the Saturn had a better foundation and less schizophrenic engineering, it would be home to many ports of popular 3D PC games in the west, and of course arcade hits in the east, with crossover for the most popular titles.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Being a huge (classic) Resident Evil fan, I would have loved to have seen Resi 2 on the Saturn, as the port of Resi 1 is pretty damn special.

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    There are too many what-ifs that have to fall in the right direction.
    Not when one is talking about games that were already developed and out in Japan for the Saturn. All it would have taken if for SEGA not to want to kill the Saturn off in the USA and piss off Working Designs and Shiny off while they were at it
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Not when one is talking about games that were already developed and out in Japan for the Saturn. All it would have taken if for SEGA not to want to kill the Saturn off in the USA and piss off Working Designs and Shiny off while they were at it
    You were hard pressed to find any store that sold Saturn games by 97 so wouldn't have much of a difference if any. By then most people didn't even know what a Saturn was. If no one noticed when Resident Evil or Tomb Raider released on Saturn in the US then what difference would it make with some niche Japanese game?

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    You were hard pressed to find any store that sold Saturn games by 97 so wouldn't have much of a difference if any. By then most people didn't even know what a Saturn was. If no one noticed when Resident Evil or Tomb Raider released on Saturn in the US then what difference would it make with some niche Japanese game?
    Think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. This isn't about how one could change the Saturn fortunes, outsell the PS or N64, but more if SEGA had just decided that until the DC was ready in the west (which wasn';t until late 99) it would support the Saturn longer itself. Before Bernie made his speech that the Saturn was dead, Shinning said it was doing wonders with Wild Nine on the Saturn, Working Designs told Saturn Power mag that it has already signed up Thunder Force V, Battle Gerraga, Souky, Lunar I and II, Silhouette Mirage, for a western release on the Saturn: That's some nice serious software and I dare say that WD would have looked to traslate Grandia as well on the Saturn.
    Even in Japan the Saturn was having a hard time in late 97 and early 98. SEGA was going to lose money in the west no matter what and given the big rise then of Mail Order, SEGA could have done limited production runs and basically make it mail order only and when one looks at games like Metal Slug or Dead or Alive the translation work would be minimal.

It would have been lovely to have had Princess Crown in English too, even if SEGA would have had to paid WD to do the translation.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Yeah, I'd take a Princess Crown in English. One of my fave Saturn games. Gave birth to one of my favorite developers ever in Vanillaware. I just wouldn't want Working Designs anywhere near it as that would surely make the price today unattainable for most. Also, don't want their 90s meme humor They were as bad if not worse than Treehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I just wouldn't want Working Designs anywhere near it as that would surely make the price today unattainable for most
    If you bought it at the time, that's not an issue. But so glad I got all the WD Saturn and Mega CD games back in the day. Mind you even back then the likes of Albert Oddesy, Lunar II and Magic Knight weren't cheap on Import
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

How can I buy it at the time when no one was selling Saturn games?

Thread Information