Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Knuckles Chaotix

Wildside Expert Retropolis Zone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    I agree with the review, mostly. I really hate the game because of the awful controls and shitty level layout. I like the palettes, some graphics and the bonus stages (except the second last one, which bugged me like crazy). The music is OK. After I finally beat all special stages, I rushed through the game to see the good ending and then shelfed it for good.
    Unfortunately the endings are complete garbage...

Lord of the Obscure Wildside Expert LordGeo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Retropolis Zone View Post
    If Knuckles' Chaotix wasn't related to Sonic and the 32X, I very much doubt it would have been as well-received as it is. I hope you don't think that is offending, because it's not meant to be.
    No, I don't argue against that at all. Chaotix definitely has part of its appeal due to it being only available on the 32X (& that short time it was on Gametap, too). Still, I just chalk up it's "love it or hate it" nature down to "different strokes for different folks" more than anything. It obviously wasn't going to appeal to Sonic fans in the same exact ways that the main series did, but for those it did appeal to it made a strong impression on them. Personally, I love the visuals, the sheer size of the stages (even if they do sometimes feel a bit same-y at times), the varied abilities of the characters, the awesome special stages, & the outstanding soundtrack. The controls definitely take some getting used to, I'll admit, but every time I boot up Chaotix I end up enjoying myself, and it definitely is not merely a sense of nostalgia that I'm forcing myself to stay attracted to. Let's just say that my choice of avatar isn't due to mere nostalgia (i.e. Mighty's my go-to character for this game, usually with Knuckles or Espio in tow).

I understand that a portion of people, maybe even a majority, don't like Knuckles' Chaotix, & I'm okay with that; people can have whatever opinions they want to have. As long as those opinions are well stated & don't disparage those who do like it then we can simply agree to disagree, because it's impossible to appeal to everyone.

Like the saying goes, "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One The M's Avatar

Sadly, Chaotix was a badly executed idea overall and by being on the 32x didn't help much either. While the concept of colorful and "psychedelic" scenarios is something common for Sonic games at that time, the color choices and saturation are realy irritating to many if not most people. The music was pretty good and ended up fitting with the "night time, neon filled theme attractions" that the stages tried to pass. But the tether mechanics was badly developed in confusing level designs and lack of enemies, making the game as a whole pretty boring after some time. However, while I can't say this is the good game it's supposed to be, having a lot of flaws, it is still a pretty neat idea and still interesting to play for whomever likes the Sonic series, Sega games in general or really unique games like this one.

Great review. The game is just odd. If it had a single character option I think it might be tolerable but I hadn't noticed the nerfed spin dash...ugh.

Wildside Expert Retropolis Zone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    Great review. The game is just odd. If it had a single character option I think it might be tolerable but I hadn't noticed the nerfed spin dash...ugh.
    Thanks. It would certainly be more tolerable, but still not good if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Retropolis Zone View Post
    Unfortunately the endings are complete garbage...
    Sonic cameo. Almost worth it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information