Quantcast

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A Winner is You: 2019 ‘OMFG’ Edition

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Ruiner. Really great twin-stick shooter even if the levels go on too long at times. Really fantastic presentation of a cyberpunk setting. I ended up finishing it last night. The game is really tough at times so I am not afraid to admit I lowered it down to easy for the final level. Great music. Really enjoyed it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Travis Strikes Again. I had 2 levels left when I dropped the game in January. Boy that last one is rough. Final boss is super easy tho. Enjoyed it despite how rough it is in spots. Also helps my opinion of it knowing the real NMH3 is on it's way next year. While again I enjoyed it,I could only play it in spurts and I would have felt pretty sour if this was the last NMH game.
    Last edited by SegataS; 10-31-2019 at 02:19 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

21. Dynamite Headdy - Genesis

I remember I wanted to play a platformer a few years ago and popped this in. It wasn't hitting the spot, so I put it back on the shelf. It's kind of a platformer in the same aspect that Vectorman is a platformer. It sat better with me this time, and overall, I'd say I enjoyed this game. There are definitely some stages (scenes?) that were flat out not enjoyable, but it was a good overall experience. I'm a fan of the wackiness. The final boss was also satisfying to beat. It took some trial and error, but it felt good figuring it out and sticking it to him.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Nintendo NES):

I popped this game in last month to just kind of fart around. I’ve never beaten the game before but I still generally enjoy it despite its flaws. At some point I became determined to not just beat it, but to do so without losing a single turtle.

In a perfect storm of persistence and luck, I managed to pull it off.

^ Is that something you enjoy doing, or did you decide to go for it for some other reason?

22. Jurassic Park - Game Gear

I beat The Lost World earlier this year, so I decided to try out the precursor. This is a very short and easy game, but I'd say it controls a bit better than the second.

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    ^ Is that something you enjoy doing, or did you decide to go for it for some other reason?
    A little bit of both, I guess. I like the satisfaction of dominating a game that once gave me a lot of trouble. There are a handful of “hard” games that I think are still fun enough to put that amount of time & effort into. Also, I enjoy making videos that appeal to a very niche audience.

That makes sense. I like to figure out games so that I can feel in control the whole time, but I'm so prone to idiotic mistakes that I never strive for perfection (I also don't think I'd get enough satisfaction to warrant the effort). Your videos don't seem too niche. It looks like you get views at a higher rate than I do (although you have many more videos because my buddy and I are slacking).

23. Dragon Warrior - NES

This is a game I've been meaning to play through for a long time, and I finally did it. It actually hit the spot and was quite enjoyable, and I could see myself loving it if I played it when it came out. It got a bit grindy at the end but wasn't too bad. This is one of the few NES games I have complete in box, and it's cool how much stuff actually came with it (even if there is a lot of transposed/incorrect/misleading information). The manual is basically a walkthrough.

23. Dragon Warrior - NES

This is a game I've been meaning to play through for a long time, and I finally did it. It actually hit the spot and was quite enjoyable, and I could see myself loving it if I played it when it came out. It got a bit grindy at the end but wasn't too bad. This is one of the few NES games I have complete in box, and it's cool how much stuff actually came with it (even if there is a lot of transposed/incorrect/misleading information). The manual is basically a walkthrough.
    You should post a picture of that manual.

I got this game free with a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day (a LOT of us did, actually). It came with a pretty comprehensive guide that walked you through the entire game. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I haven't picked it up since then.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    You should post a picture of that manual.
    For sure. Were you looking for a scan, or just some random pictures? The maps are pretty cool too.

I got this game free with a subscription to Nintendo Power back in the day (a LOT of us did, actually). It came with a pretty comprehensive guide that walked you through the entire game. I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I haven't picked it up since then.
    Yeah, I remember hearing about that. I never owned an NES until way after this game came out and never had a Nintendo Power subscription. It would have been amazing to get this for free back then.

24. Bubsy II - Genesis

I had a dream about the armadillo mini game. It went on eternally, and there was no end. I took it as a sign that I must complete the Genesis Bubsy Duology (TM) before the year ended. I did my part.

For sure. Were you looking for a scan, or just some random pictures? The maps are pretty cool too.
    Just a picture, I’m curious if you actually have that guide that NP provided with the game. I have a CIB copy of Dragon Warrior, but the instructions are just a standard “how to play” manual.

This is my manual. May everything you desired be fulfilled.

Bulletstorm-PS4.

Playing Doom got me in a FPS mode but so many FPS are CoD or Military crap I have no interest in. So few have a sense of humor anymore or focus on just being fun. I got this game used and cheap but damn I loved it so much I am replaying it now. The ending kinda sucks but the gameplay is so fun. It's like Madworld meets Gears Meets VanQuish. It's an odd mix but it mixes really well. I think they could have learned a little more in the humor but it's still good. The one real knock is the plant boss. It just takes forever. A sequel is not looking likely much like VanQuish. Shame as this might be my fave FPS from last gen. It's certainly one of my fave shooters from last-gen amongst VanQuish, EX Troopers and Binary Domain.

The skill point system makes you be creative in how you kill enemies much like Madworld on Wii. The leash and boot make a great combo system. Sliding feels like VanQuish. Even tho it's a last gen game it still looks pretty good. It has a real arcade side to the gameplay. I have some games among Bulletstorm to post in the haul thread but waiting for the new year to post them.

END OF YEAR LIST BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMB!

2) Dark Souls: Daughters of Ash (PC)- A mod for the original game that tries to change things up by making a new progression path, adding in some unused assets and such. The problem is, things just feel off. The progression doesn't feel as normal or fluid as the original game's did and the fact that things don't flow as well with finding objects to get to new area, just made this mod feel like it wasn't done being implemented.

3) Dark Souls III (PC)- Did it again.

4) Sniper: Art of Victory (PC)- Wow. Just... wow. I know it's a City Interactive game, but still. It feels like you're constantly skating on ice. You character controls more like a vehicle than a person, and the hit detection is iffy at best. Even the level layouts don't feel right, as there are invisible walls everywhere and you tend to get stuck on anything that isn't flat ground. And let's not forget the broken English and mispronounced words (spoken "Elimited" instead of eliminated), how every enemy can shoot you with pinpoint accuracy with any weapon, how they can see you clearly from any distance... it's a mess of a game, even for a budget one.

5) Sniper: Ghost Warrior (PC)- A better game than the original, but still not on par with the likes of Sniper Elite. Questionable hit detection at times hurt the whole sniping aspect when trying to take out guards and prevent alarms, and of course, the enemies hit you with almost every bullet, regardless of what weapon they use or how far away they are. And the final mission was really dragged out.

6) Resident Evil 2 (PC)- Oh, this is what a remake should be. Visuals are great, the atmosphere is great, the gameplay and story are tweaked nicely, the Tyrant is even more imposing... good to see Capcom can still do things right from time to time. Played through as Leon.

7) Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 (PC)- A better game than GW1 in terms of visuals, level design and so forth. They even tried to put a plot in this time. But, there were still some hit detection issues at times, plus an annoying glitch that made your character permanently squat down so you couldn't run or jump.

8-11) Resident Evil 2 (PC)- Yep. Played this through a number of times in a row to see everything and unlock a couple of unlimited weapons.

12) Resident Evil 4 HD (PC)- Just felt like playing it.

13) Far Cry 5 (PC)- A fun game that had a nice change of pace in terms of setting, characters and stories. It also didn't feel as grindy as some of Ubisoft's other open-world games. And hey, I got to fly around in armed helicopters raining down death upon all who opposed me, so that was nice.

14) Slap Fight MD (Genesis)- Not a bad little old-school vertical shmup. It plays well, has some nice music, and whatnot. I especially like the options for arranged music and the new mode. Glad I took a chance on picking up a complete repro of this for $10 (I sure as fuck wasn't paying $500 for a game!).

15) Diablo (PC)- GOG finally got a hold of this one and gave it an update to run on modern PCs. A bit clunky feeling compared to what came after it, but it's still fun.

16) Sniper Elite 4 (PC)- Elite 2 was a pretty good game. Elite 3 was better. Elite 4 is the best of the bunch thus far. Interesting missions, more polished gameplay, better visuals, more ways to handle things with the level layouts, decent story... just a better game. Can't wait for the remastered version of Elite 2 later this year.

17) Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 (PC)- Once again, a better game than GW2. Buggy as hell, ut better. Nicer graphics, some actual effort put into the story and characters, a bigger world to play through with more open levels to tackle... a definite step up. It's a strange mix of open world Fary Cry with the traditional Sniper level-to-level mission style. Points of interest to explore, outpost to clear... stuff like that like. The game does start to drag on a bit by the end, but overall, the best of the GW games thus far. Still not a match for the Sniper Elite series, but a step up from the budget feel and iffy effort of the previous GW games.

18) Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PC)- Holy shit this game was hard. Parrying in the Dark Souls series was always a choice. But in Sekiro, it's basically mandatory. You have to get better at it if you're going to have a chance. This left not a lot of options for fighting the bosses, so I had to get better at it. I don't even want to think how many tries I took at the final boss before beating him. But, while it may be tougher, it's still a great game. The music, the visuals, the gameplay... it's From Software quality.

19) Star Wars Battlefront II EA (PC)- Not a bad single player campaign, but it did feel a bit short. With game set between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, it had a decent story and some pretty good characters. But, it still felt lacking in terms of campaign length (especially since at the moment, Resurrection looks to be the end of the single player story with its cliff hanger-like ending). But, considering I got it for $4.99, it was worth the playthrough.

20) Shining Resonance Refrain (PC)- Not a bad little action RPG. It's a weird mix of visual novel, dating sim and hack and slash. Gets a bit too drawn out with the dialogue and such, and the game gets grindy as hell by Chapter 7 (unless you luck out and have been leveling up the right two characters), but it was reasonably enjoyable. Not sure how it ties into the Shining series, though.

21) Mortal Kombat 11 (PC)- Yes, everyone and their mother is pissed off about the grinding-centric nature of the game, and the unfair Towers of Time section. But the game itself is good. Solid graphics and gameplay, plenty of characters to choose from, cool story mode, gore out the wazzu... all the things you'd expect from the franchise.

22) Doom (GBA)- Little by little, I've been playing through this and finally reached the final level (which was the same as the final level in the 32X version). Not a bad port. The music's a little wonky and the framerate tends to go all over the place at times, but it still plays well.

23) Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PC)- Not a bad fighting game. It was cool to hear so many voice actors from the original show playing their familiar roles, but in all honesty, the game felt a bit off. The fighting itself was a bit clunky, with moves that at times didn't feel like they were connecting like they were supposed to. They just didn't come off as fluid as other fighting games (including Nether Realms own MK 9). The cinemas also looked rather odd, like the motion capture tech was from the mid-2000s, not 2013. The character movements just looked janky at times, and the choreography of the fights wasn't that great. It was fun for $5, but if I'd paid full price, I would have felt gypped.

24) After Death (PC)- An interesting little Metroidvania game with a 16-bit visual vibe and a pretty cool synthwave soundtrack. It looks like it would fit right on an SNES, with a nicely done progression system and some cool powerups. It also has a rather surprising twist with its story that's hinted at a little once in a while as you make your way through the game. All in all, an enjoyable game.

25) Shaq-Fu: A Legend Reborn (PC)- Got this in a bundle a while back and finally sat down to play it. For as goofy as the idea is, it wasn't a half bad game. It had issues in areas, like jumping (you couldn't move up or down while jumping, which made for some cheap gang ups by the enemies), heavily repetitive areas with onslaughts of enemies or the same dull mechanics (kicking things down a hill) and even some hit box problems. But, it had a sense of humor (off color at times that likely pissed off some SJWs) and played like a so-so beat'em up. It's not even remotely close to a Final Fight or Streets of Rage, but it's not the hot, smoldering garbage you'd expect either.

26) Shovel Knight (PC)- I'd heard about this game, but never bought it until the Treasure Trove version went on a deeper sale. A fun little game that clearly borrowed a bit from the NES Ducktale game in terms of gameplay. Nice music, nice NES-style visuals, lots of things to do with looking for items and powerups, and it's just about the right length. Not sure how I felt about the Mega Man-style boss gauntlet near the end, but it was a fun game to play through.

27) Castlevania (NES)- I forgot how unforgiving this game can be. But, I did make it through. A classic to be sure.

28) Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (NES)- I know the game gets shit for how obscure it made the progression hints (and rightfully so), but I still enjoy it. A bit too vague at times, but a fun game nonetheless. The final boss is still Gradius-level easy.

29) Shadow Crypt (PC)- A fun little game with simple controls, some platforming and a relatively short playtime (about an hour to an hour and half). The sprite work is pretty nice and fluid, the sound does its job and the levels range from quick, to "have to think about it for a second" in terms of layout. All in all, not a bad game.

30) Raiden III (PC)- Got into a Raiden mood and decided to give this game a go. Took a couple of tries after having not played it for so long, but I 1LCed it and felt studly for a moment. The 3D visuals might be dated now, but it still plays like a Raiden game with a nice soundtrack.

31) Blood: Fresh Supply (PC)- Nightdive Studios finally got the rights to this game and gave it an update. Nothing drastic, but some neat features and a few fixes (including the CD music finally looping, and playing from a reload). It's got both expansion packs too, so there's plenty to play through. Not a remaster, but a touch up over the original DOS version.

32) Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (PC)- Fun little game. Graphics, gameplay, music... all solid. The final level's a bit of a sudden difficulty jump, but it doesn't ruin the game.

33) Castlevania III (NES)- The top of the 8-bit heap for the series. There's a lot to like about this game, even if some areas near the end come off as a bit cheap with some of the enemy spawns. A solid end to NES' branch of the franchise.

34) Strikey Sisters (PC)- Not a bad little Breakout/Arkanoid clone. Nice graphics, decent music and a fair number of levels. Some of the bosses were a bit cheap and at times, it seemed like there was an odd number of instanaces where you had "bad luck" (monsters instantly appearing in front of the ball and knocking it out). That said, it was a reasonably fun little diversion.

35) Castlevania Adventure (GB)- A decent game, but damn is it slow and short. Konami clearly didn't know how to program on the GB yet. Between the sluggish pace, the graphical flicker/glitches, it being only four levels and such, it has issues. It's not broken or unplayable, and it does have some nice music, but it's not a feather in the Castlevania cap.

36) Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge (GB)- Definitely a better game than the first one. Faster pacing, more levels, nicer graphics, good tunes... this feels more like a complete game.

37) Super Castlevania IV (SNES)- A classic, but not as grandiose as some make it out to be. Yes, it's got good graphics, moody music and nice levels, but it's also very easy. it lacks the challenge of the NES games or even the Genesis/PCE games.

38) Castlevania: Bloodlines (Gen)- A solid game with some issues. It comes off as short (not nearly as short as the first GB game, though), and the color usage could have been better. But it plays well, the music's rather good and the levels are done nicely. Having two very different playing characters is also a good extra.

39) Kid Dracula (PC)- Yeah, I um... I wasn't enamored with this one. It looks alright and plays decent with some good tunes, but it's just... missing something. It doesn't have the personality of a cutesy parody (humor, colorful sprites, etc.) and what is there feels half-baked. The powers were a nice touch to try and break up the monotonous platforming, but when you factor in how empty the levels feel enemy-wise, it just didn't have that extra spark to really make it enjoyable to play thorough.

40) Road Redemption (PC)- As a mix of Road Rash, Wipeout and Mad Max, it's not a bad little game. The physics get wonky at times with collisions and you can see the game blatantly cheat once in a while (moving opponents out of the way abruptly, cars "drifting" right at you, etc.), but slugging it out on motorcycles with guns, bats and spiked clubs is entertaining. It supposedly randomizes the tracks and what type of "race" you'll be involved in, but it's not the biggest pool of randomization choices that it's drawing from. Still, a decent little time waster.

41) Death's Hangover (PC)- Breakout with a silly story about death trying to get his soul back. It's a decent enough game visually, with some powerups and such, along with General Midi being used for the music. You can even control the speed of the ball with the right and left mouse buttons for more strategy. It's clear effort was spent making the game, but the bounce physics really need to be tweaked. There are times when the ball doesn't bounce in the right direction or at the right angle when you're trying to aim it, and the things can get stuck permanently in objects. It's got some depth, but it's no Arkanoid in terms of being fun to play when the game forgets to apply the bounce physics.

42) Space Elite Force (PC)- A shmup that seems to take a few cues from Stereden in terms of some visuals and ship designs. It's a pretty simple shmup, with seven levels and bosses, with a powerup system where you buy your powerups. The problem is, by the time you're halfway through the game, you've gotten enough powerups to make the game painfully easy. Still, for $0.50, it wasn't a bad little game.

43) Galacide (PC)- A puzzle shmup. Odd combination, but a relatively fun game with some decent graphics and music. A bit easy, though.

44) Nemesis (PC)- Holy shit did I forget how tough this game gets once you've gotten a few powerups. A great classic shmup, with the traditionally stupidly easy final boss. Still, it almost feels a bit unfair with how it starts playing more like a bullethell shmup in spots than a traditional one by the time you pick up four options, the missiles and a speed up.

45-47) Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and DLCs (PC)- I enjoyed this game. Getting to choose between male or female versions of the main character was nice and the story itself was pretty well thought out. The two DLC campaigns were also enjoyable and let you delve into the Greek mythos a bit more, as well as see more of the main character's story. The game isn't that well optimized, though. Slowdown at odd times, the shadows acted weird as they popped in, sometimes the textures/lighting wouldn't load right away when the scene changed on-camera... things like that. It didn't ruin the game, but it was clearly not quite running as well as it could have for the PC. But overall, the visuals, the music, the many main and side missions, the story... it all made for a fun game.

48) Side Pocket (Genesis)- A fun little pool game that sadly, suffers from one nasty flaw; the inability to really fine tune the angle you're shooting at. There are times when there is no way to get the ball into the hole because one spot is too high and the next one up is too low tragectory-wise. Still, I beat this game on my last shot (all my missed shot points were gone), and got that last nasty trick shot to see the ending.

49) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PC)- The Castlevania that wasn't. A few bugs here and there, but overall, a worthy successor to Symphony of the Night. Plenty to explore, lots of weapons and armor to find and make, good music, nice 2.5D graphics, tough bosses and a decent little story. All in all, this was kickstarter that lived up to the hype that started building the moment it began.

50) Blasphemous (PC)- Another metroidvania? Yep. Other than some really obtuse hints with some objects (some I think don't had ANY hints what to do with them), this game was great. Gorgeous pixel art style, pleasant music, a good sized map to explore, cool bosses, gore galore... it's a quality game on pretty much all fronts.

51) Quake (PC)-
    Ah, good ol' Quake. Back when it was a mix of Doom and what the Quake series would become with the second game. Gotta love these old classic id games.

52) Dark Souls 3 (PC)- Played again, beat it again. A little rusty on this play through, but I was kicking some ass after a few bosses.

53) Horizon Shift '81 (PC)-
    A more retro-ized sequel to Horizon Shift. Some of the issues I had with the original game (like unkillable enemies) were addressed to a degree, but there are still stretches where you're left dodging and unable to kill what's shooting at you. And after 36 levels, the game comes close to wearing out its welcome. Still, it's a fun enough game.

54) Shadow of the Tomb Raider (PC)- Not a bad way to end the trilogy. The visuals, music and plot were done well, as was the way they brought it all to a close. It was a bit more exploratory and puzzle-filled than the first two games, with some sections that got really drawn out (like having to climb that tower to get to the final boss). But overall, it was pretty good.

55) Dark Souls 2 (PC)- For the first time ever, I beat virtually the entire game without any NPC or player help. The only boss I couldn't beat alone were the two big cats in that optional snow area (the one with the recurring blizzard). The rest, I did. Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, both Smelter Demons... it felt so good to best them on my own at long last.

56) Dark Souls (PC)- After doing DS2 melee-only and solo, I went back and played the first game the same way. After what DS2 threw at me, this game felt easily by comparison. And now I can say I've been the first game complete solo.

57) Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon (PC)- I've owned this game for a while, but never really got around to playing it. Now that I have, I can see why people talk about it in good ways. Simple, blow everything up fun. Big bugs, big explosions, leveling entire cities, campy sense of humor... it's enjoyable. It's a bit mindless, but that's the point. And with 15 missions, you get your fill of killing tractor trailer-sized insect from space.

58) Journey (PC)- A mostly calming mix of walking simulator, platforming and some simple puzzles. It won't challenge your mind or reflexes, but it was an interesting, lovely looking and sounding little trek through its world. It gets a bit more intense near the end with a bit of sneaking, but nothing ridiculous.

59) Horizon Chase Turbo (PC)-
    A throwback to the 16 days of racing. Games like Lotus Turbo Challenge, Top Gear and their ilk clearly inspired this game, and they even got the guy who did the music for Top Gear on the SNES to do the music for this game. It's fast, it's arcadey and it's fun... even if the "AI" has a bad tendency to ram you so you get slowed down (even when they hit you from behind).

60) Samurai Shodown V Special (PC)- I've always enjoyed this series. I've been waiting for the collection to come out of Steam this year, but there's been virtually no info about it since its announcement many months ago. So, I broke down and got this game on Steam. The gameplay, the visuals, the big roster... it's a great game. And the fact that you can take some 70% of an opponent's life bar with a single, well-timed hit, is a mechanic I hope this series never loses.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

Thread Information