Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Winner is You: 2019 ‘OMFG’ Edition

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

And that's it. I defeated all 4 mythological creatures. Finished Atlantis Quest. Became Tier 1 Merc. The new leader of the daughters or Artemis. I got the best story ending. All cult members are gone. I can put down AC Odyssey now.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Bully (2006)

I had this game on PS2 back when it was new. I had good memories of it, but don't recall if I ever beat it back then before losing interest. Well, I came across an Xbox One port of it in a bargain bin recently, and thought, why the heck not.

There is a lot of good about this game, but definitely some bad as well. Overall though, playing through it was a positive experience. Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed going to class. There are approximately a dozen courses you have to take to graduate (maybe only 10, I forget), and they are structured into 5 sessions each, and these classes are essentially mini games. Geography and English were probably my favorites, but each class had their own charms.

The missions however, are a mixed bag. Some of them are rather clever and imaginative, and require problem solving, fighting, target shooting, bike riding, et cetera. And you have to meander the different social groups throughout, making enemies and friends along the way. While many others (way too many imo) are simple fetch quests which feel like they're just thrown in to pad out the game time. My favorite side task was mowing the lawn, there was just something very satisfying about that to me.

The game has tons of character and its own unique feel. The music, graphics and animation go a long way to making this game memorable and worthwhile. Some great characters to meet along the way, and I love the way the different social groups and school structure is lampooned along the way. As a former prep school student, a lot of the humor in this game really rang true. Overall, I'd rate it a 7/10. The good aspects of the game far outweigh the occasional monotony.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Gargoyles' Quest. 'Twas as good as I remember.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Devil May Cry 5. Was it worth 11 years and 1 misguided reboot?

Well first let's just let Dante answer in a dance.

Damn what a finely crafted video game. After a decade they took ideas from Bayonetta & even the DmC failed reboot but kept the core DNA of DMC. V, Nero & Dante all feel very different and all feel great to play. Dante is as smooth to control as his dance moves. Nero like his character has potential. He is fun to play but not Dante's level...yet. V is unique. He doesn't attack his familiars do. The game is stunning to look at. It aims for more realism but still has plenty of styles. I will say while I know it wouldn't have fit this game, that is something in Bayonetta I much prefer is it's amazing set pieces. DMC5 is mostly urban setting with the hell levels mixed in and funny enough they are similar to Bayonetta 2's hell stages aesthetically. The game is loaded with DMC fanservice but it wants new fans so it is more accessible to play from an easy mode to an auto assist combo setting that is optional. It has a feature to let you catch up on the DMC story. I would put this as one of the best in the genre of character action overall. Personally, I still think Metal Gear Rising & Bayonetta II are still the top 2 to beat. Still, very high praise as this genre is loaded with Bayonetta, DMC, Ninja Gaiden other Platinum Games Shinobi on PS2 and a whole lot more. It's already a GOTY contender for me personally but I still see Astral Chain & Daemon X Machina on this year calendar.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Sonic CD (from GameCube ‘Sonic Gems Collection’)

I apologize, but I don’t know how else to say this: this is a crappy Sonic game.

This game looks and plays like a competent Sonic rip-off game that just so happens to star Sonic the Hedgehog. The graphics are bright and colorful, but dense, confusing, and unpleasant to look at. The level structure is aggravating, with far too many branching paths funneling you into dead ends. There is a distinctive lack of “theme” for any of the worlds, so the stages all tend to blend together and blur any sense of progression.

I really, really like the time traveling mechanic... the idea if it, at least. In practice, I didn’t even know it was there, let alone what I was supposed to use it for, because the game didn’t explain what I was supposed to do. I could have read the manual I suppose, but competent game design should have conveyed the ultimate goal of the game in the first act of the game.

I don’t hold this against the Sonic series, since I gather that the real Sonic Team was making Sonic 2 during this game’s development.

It wasn’t all bad, though: I really liked the music (yes, I prefer the US ost) and I love the animated sequences that bookend the game. Hm... I also liked the fact that Amy Rose was in the game, I suppose. And this version of Metal Sonic looks far cooler than the one from Sonic 2.

But damn... I don’t understand how anyone could possibly say that this is the best game in the Sonic series (which is an argument I’ve actually heard). I can make my peace with someone liking it, but to think it’s better than Sonic 1 or 2? Madness!

Yeah, Sonic CD is polarizing. Personally, I really like the game. Mostly for it's focus on exploration and it's anime art style. I prefer it over Sonic 2 (note I don't think it's better, I just like it more ).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

3. Jade Empire - Xbox

Been wanting to play this one for a while. Mostly because of the obvious Chinese influence. I wasn't a big fan of the rock, paper, scissors combat system. Definitely felt like a transition to real time combat. I'd rather there be more to it than "oh, I'll just to the thing that I know is good against what this enemy is doing." Although, the final boss was somewhat satisfying as there was actually some more strategy to it than everything else - the game was way too easy for the most part. There were also some hyperforeignisms of sorts when it comes to Mandarin pronunciation which bothered me, but I guess you could say that's how those words are actually pronounced in this world (ignoring that sometimes there would be completely different pronunciations for the same words spoken by the same character). The setting was kind of cool. The beginning was weird considering your character grew up in this place, but the best way to find out anything about it as a player was to act like you had never been there before. I kept wanting to go back to it though, so all in all it wasn't bad.

4. The Lost World: Jurassic Park - Game Gear

This is the first Game Gear game I got, so I thought I might as well beat it. Kind of want to beat more GG games. I got a lot of them in a short time span and played many of them but only beat one prior to this, which was Baku Baku. That game is much better than this one, but this one gets the job done, I suppose. The continue system is nice to let you learn the areas, but it also makes it really easy to beat in one sitting.

Zelda: Link's Awakening on the GB. Stellar game.

Some little guys and one larger guy:

5. Golden Axe - Genesis

One of my buddies was over, saw I had this game, and wanted to play it. After he left, I thought it sounded kind of good so played it myself. I beat it while he only got to stage three. Tool.

6. Dragon Crystal - Game Gear

I'm a fan of Fatal Labyrinth, so I definitely like this one. It's like a more balanced version with a less variety of items. Luckily, there isn't a final boss; otherwise, I would have been destroyed. Those dragons owned me.

7. Streets of Rage - Game Gear

A very sad poor man's version of the Genesis game. Suplex is what you've gotta do if you don't want to die immediately. That and swing pipes.

8. Comix Zone - Genesis

I acquired this one a few years ago, learned how to play it without killing myself and then just stopped playing it for some reason. After figuring it out, I have definitely come to like this one. I got the bad ending the first time I got through it, which was really unsatisfying and encouraged me to get the good ending. My only beef with it is that it seems way too easy to lose a life when you're at about the half way point (or maybe I just haven't figured out a way to consistently get passed it). Also, having the default controls be completely different from 99% of Genesis games was a bit annoying.

9. Rocket: Robot on Wheels - N64

The first N64 game I've ever beaten, and I'm not sure if I even technically beat it, but I'm considering it beaten. After I completed the final level, the game basically said, "Umm... you didn't 100% me. You're not done yet." Not happening. Not only do I not get any enjoyment whatsoever out of 100% a game (one of the things I liked was the way you could progress without having to collect X% of things in each level), I was also ready to be done with this and not play it for a long time after I finished the last level. Camera angles were definitely the death of this game, which was actually not too bad otherwise.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Rocket is my favorite N64 game (or one of them, at least, on a very short list). Outdated game design kills a lot of those games by current standards, unfortunately. I haven’t tried to play that one in years.

Yeah, it was one of the not very many N64 games I was interested in. I liked it for what it presented but didn't like it as much as a game, if that makes sense.

10. College Slam - Genesis

I put some of my thoughts on this one in the beat 'em all thread.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

One-credited Midnight Resistance (MD), JP version, on default settings. Took long enough lol. I find Fire is the best weapon in the game, Supercharged if possible.

Caligula Effect Overdose.

Yeah, this is a poor mans Persona. If you played Persona and need more this is a shorter and lesser version of that. If you want something like Persona and this is all that is avail then again sure I guess. It's decent but not great. It's just ok. If it was on anything else I'd say play Tokyo Mirage Sessions instead as that game is great. If you have a PS4 just get Persona 5. I like that you also can play on the antagonist side when you want. The combat when on higher difficulty settings is kinda cool. The core cast can be interesting at times and the somewhat short playtime works in the game's favor. Just for a game that centers around music the music is rather weak. Dungeons are varied but they go on a bit long esp later ones. I mentioned it before but the Cyberseluth games while they play like SMT they have a lite Persona vibe and also a better option. Only get this if it's less than $20.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Sonic CD (from GameCube ‘Sonic Gems Collection’)

I apologize, but I don’t know how else to say this: this is a crappy Sonic game.
    It is the best 2D Sonic. RTFM and get the good ending.

Also there is no Metal Sonic in Sonic 2. That is Mecha Sonic. Details!

I finished Panzer Dragoon Saga. Holy mackarel what an experience. It is a crime that such a polished, expansive, masterpiece of a video game experience is shackled to the doombox called the Saturn. We might never see it on another platform.

Truly amazing.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I've only beaten like 2 games this year.

1) Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (Trinity) - I've pretty much played through all of the maps using every race. My last couple of playthroughs have been on the large random maps.

2) Metro Exodus (PC) - I finished this up about a month ago. I loved how they pretty much got rid of all the interacting in the underground and digging around for minimal supplies. I've never finished the previous chapters, because I was always running out of bullets and air masks while out in the wild. It got really old. This game didn't leave you hangin' high and dry, and I appreciate that they cut out that BS by including the ability to craft items while out in the wild.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information