Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Winner is You: 2019 ‘OMFG’ Edition

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    It is the best 2D Sonic. RTFM and get the good ending.

Also there is no Metal Sonic in Sonic 2. That is Mecha Sonic. Details!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Cruis'n World

Also decided to wrap up some side quests and optional dungeons in Tales of Vesperia. While playing I'm also watching a Tales of Symphonia LP. I never finished that game and sold my copy on Gamecube long before it was worth something. That game is better than I remembered now but at the same time aspects of it that would drive me crazy still that ToV is a proper evolution of.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

...copied from the 2013 'Winner is You' thread

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    10. Super C (NES):

Oh. My. Gawd.

Apparently there are people out there that maintain this game is easier than the original? I don't know about that! Maybe it's just because I've been playing Contra for 25 years and I've only recently started playing its sequel ("recently" = 2013).

But with about twice as many bullets and enemies flying around the screen, how can it possibly be any easier? It was a technical marvel, in fact, particularly compared to all those Mega Man games I've been playing, recently.

I cheated, of course. Used the 10 Life code. I continued once at Stage 5. Oddly enough, I blew right through Stages 7 & 8 without dying once (I'd never made it past 7 before tonight, I might add).

I imagine, just like with Contra, I'll make another run at finishing the game with no extra-life code and with no continues, but for now, seeing the credits roll is good enough.
    ~6 Years Later...

Super C (NES):

Finally got around to playing this game again. I slapped the cartridge in and starting playing, sans extra life code. I didn't find it nearly as difficult this time around as I did the last time I played it, although the same sticking points kept halting my progress: namely, those infuriating mouths in the 6th stage that like to spawn right underneath you. Once I got past that, it wasn't too difficult to blaze through the last two stages without dying.

So it took six years, but I was able to achieve the goal I hung in the air back in 2013: beating Super C with no cheater code and no continues.

One of the days, I just might attempt a single-life run for both NES Contra games. Seems doable enough.

Oh, I recorded the playthrough, also. Check out the video if you want.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Nice! To me, six years seems like an acceptable amount of time to follow through on that kind of goal. It would probably take me longer.

Beat a few games since my last visit:

11. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC

One of my buddies was super stoked for this to come out. He got it day of release, and we ended up playing through it together. Because of not coordinating vacations, days we were unavailable, etc., it took us about five months to complete both campaigns, but we did it! I... suck at modern games apparently. I wasted way too much ammo barely (sometimes not barely) missing my targets. Solid remake though.

12. Bubsy - Genesis

I beat a few Genesis classics this year and was wondering which classic I should tackle next. But then I didn't have to even think about it. I already knew.

13. Fatal Fury 2 - Genesis

I hosted a fighting game party of sorts, and I remembered that I actually progressed pretty far on this one last time I played it. I ended up beating it this time, and that must mean that this game is really easy because I suck at the genre. I think this is the first fighting game I've ever completed.

14. Pokemon Moon - 3DS

It took a little over two years, but I finally knocked out this one. I was interested in it because of the lack of gyms, but what they did instead was so similar to gyms that I feel like they could have done it in the third generation of games as a slight variation on what they started. I like the idea of playing through a game where the player character isn't the main character, but it's kind of awkward for this series. This might have been the best story I've experienced in a Pokemon game, but it was still not good. Also, when I found out that there was going to be an Elite Four, my first reaction was, "Seriously?!

Edited post to avoid double posting:

15. Defenders of Oasis - Game Gear

A solid little handheld RPG. Very basic but does everything that it does fairly well. Each character has his own little bits of strategy that sets him apart, but it doesn't come into play too much (except for the genie, obviously). Saving mechanic is kind of cool, but it can be annoying too.
    Last edited by BubsyFan1; 06-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Played through Contra Hard Corps tonight for the first time in at least a year. Gosh, this game is incredible. Somehow, I forget just how good it is until I'm playing it. Has to be one of the best games on the Genesis. I wussed out and played as Browny tonight, as he makes the game a bit easier in my opinion. But I like how each of the 4 playable characters are completely different with unique weapons and upgrades.

And tonight I played a bit differently than normal by choosing options that I historically haven't so that I got to take a different path through the game. And the later levels and bosses (even the form of the endboss) were completely different than my last playthrough. This game has so much replay value.

Nice. Around the date you posted that, a friend of mine was talking to a friend of his who said that Contra IV is the best Contra. This friend of mine responded with, "You haven't played Hard Corps." Apparently, this guy thought Sonic was the extent of the Genesis library, so I let him borrow a few other games (Streets of Rage 2, Lightening Force, Atomic Runner), and they had a blast.

16. Aladdin - Genesis

Played Defenders of Oasis then watched the live action Aladdin movie, so I figured I might as well go through this one. It was kinda weird. As I was playing it, the game didn't seem nearly as good as I remembered. After I finished it and reflected on it, it seemed much better than I did as I was playing it. I don't know. Maybe I'll try it again soon.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Cruis'n World
    CRUIIISIIIIIIIIIIIIN

CRUISIN THE WOOO-OOOO-OOOORLD

YEEEEA-YEEEAH

YOU GOT THE BEAT

YOU GOT THE POWER

JUST CRUISE THE WORLD

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    CRUIIISIIIIIIIIIIIIN

CRUISIN THE WOOO-OOOO-OOOORLD

YEEEEA-YEEEAH

YOU GOT THE BEAT

YOU GOT THE POWER

JUST CRUISE THE WORLD
    Outta reps but you nailed it lol.

Judgment-PS4.

Holy shit...

This game. This fucking game. If you took Yakuza and merged it with Ace Attorney you get this game. It blends so fucking well! This is one of their better-written stories. Nothing can top Y0 for me but this is close. I will take a side note with Marvel wanting to make a big impact in games again with Spider-Man PS4. MUA3. Avengers and other projects I thought it would be great to have Yakuza team make a Jessica Jones game. This game is a good blueprint for it. Beat for beat hits every note of a hard-boiled detective game in our favorite red light district town. Side cases are fun and some of them can be a bit more light-hearted but it never goes full-on goofy like Yakuza does. Well, a couple of sorta does. While you unravel the big story and it's a doozy. The side cases make the experience feel more authentic as a PI. Sure tailing missions at times are dull but I do like that they are in there. Taking pics of cheating couples, kidnappings, underground gambling rings to just finding a lost cat. It has it all really. Going undercover. Again they hit it beat for beat. I think this game achieves on every level that LA Noire wanted to be but just fell short. Since this is also part Ace Attorney you really do have to remember key items and evidence.

The soundtrack is what you expect from these games. With some of the classic noir sounding music when you investigate in search mode. (find all the cats btw)
    This game managed just fine without Kiryu and Yagami was a great protagonist. Amazingly no one from the Yakuza games shows up. not even a cameo. Sure there is Tojo clan but not as direct as it has been in the past. They cleaned up the Dragon Engine as it runs better than Yakuza 6. I did put in Y6 to compare the city and Judgment did retcon some stuff. I will say no hostess clubs this round. There is a lot of SEGA arcade games. Fighting Vipers. Puyo. Space Harrier. Fantasy Zone. Virtua Fighter 5 and Motor Raid. A new one that is similar to Yakuza Dead Souls is there and also similar to House of the Dead.

I could blabber forever. Judgment just feels like something new while feeling very familiar to any Yakuza fan and at the same time stands on its own. Wonderful game.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BubsyFan1 View Post
    Nice. Around the date you posted that, a friend of mine was talking to a friend of his who said that Contra IV is the best Contra. This friend of mine responded with, "You haven't played Hard Corps." Apparently, this guy thought Sonic was the extent of the Genesis library, so I let him borrow a few other games (Streets of Rage 2, Lightening Force, Atomic Runner), and they had a blast.
    Wow, you must have melted his face that night. I hope someone comes along down the road with some console I've never played, like an FM Towns or something like that, and shows me a stack of amazing games to play that I've never heard of before. That must have been quite an experience for your buddy.

Side note: When you say Contra IV, do you actually mean Contra III The Alien Wars for the SNES, or do you really mean Contra IV, the DS game? Just curious. Both fun games and all, but I've never heard anyone speak of the DS game as the best of the series before. That's a very bold statement, or perhaps just uninformed.

TBH, I like Contra 4 more than Contra III... I’m kind of impressed by someone saying that it’s their favorite, but I immediately think that it was the first/only one they ever played.

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Wow, you must have melted his face that night. I hope someone comes along down the road with some console I've never played, like an FM Towns or something like that, and shows me a stack of amazing games to play that I've never heard of before. That must have been quite an experience for your buddy.
    Right? The friend of mine who told the other that he had to play Hard Corps - these are some of the games I originally showed him when he was showing off his Sega ignorance. I helped convert him into who he is now though.

Side note: When you say Contra IV, do you actually mean Contra III The Alien Wars for the SNES, or do you really mean Contra IV, the DS game? Just curious. Both fun games and all, but I've never heard anyone speak of the DS game as the best of the series before. That's a very bold statement, or perhaps just uninformed.
    Umm... yeah, I meant Contra III. After sitting here and thinking about it, the only thing I can come up with is that I was actually thinking of Castlevania. I mean, they both start with "C," they were both primarily on Nintendo systems at the time, and they both got a good entry on the Genesis. Easily confused, yeah?

17. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - GBA

I was looking at a pile of GBA games I had but had never played, so I decided to try a few. This seemed like the best of the bunch, and I ended up finishing it. Not bad for what it was, but it wasn't great either.

18. Spider - PS1

I was really interested in this one, but then I booted it up and found out that it was a collectathon type of game. I typically have to be in a specific type of mood to enjoy that genre, but this one felt very different from your typical collectathon, and I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. There are definitely some limitations, but things end up working well somehow. The music seems weird/off at first, but after a while, it just seems to fit. I also like how the difficulty will start to ramp up, but then it kind of peaks and leads to a relaxing level. I don't know. I feel like I suck at explaining it, but it was enjoyable.

19. 7th Dragon III Code: VFD - 3DS

I've wanted to play this series for years. I remember hearing about the first one and that both Rieko Kodama and Yuza Koshiro were working on it. Well, the fourth game in the series finally came out west, and... it wasn't bad. It kind of felt like it should have maybe been the second game in the series in that it had the groundwork to be really good but it just wasn't there yet. It was still enjoyable, but I wouldn't say it was great.

20. I Love You, Colonel Sanders! - PC

So, this was a fun experience. Some friends of mine and I got together, made food (chicken strips, mashed potatoes, pie, etc.), and played through this game. We each chose a character and voice acted him/her/it. This is the way to do it because I don't think it would have been as fun had I played through it normally. This game has some real moments in it though. We got our first game over about four seconds in.
    Last edited by BubsyFan1; 10-09-2019 at 06:18 PM. Reason: adding more games beaten

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Breath of the Wild - Nintendo Switch

Well, I've defeated Gannon a couple of times. Got the motorcycle. Currently at 112 Shrines. All the memories, including DLC, are in; I'm calling this one beaten.

IMHO, the best video game of all time.

Ask me why...

I don’t need to ask, I already know.

But if you want to gush, I’ll still read it.

Thread Information