Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Vixen 357: Official Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    So I take it the translation/ROM hack being used here is the one recently done by Nebulous Translations?

https://nebulous.group/index.php/pro...ons/vixen-357/

At least, the font in the screenshots looks identical.

If so, I hope everybody involved in the translation is being fairly compensated.
    I think the same when i see the notice.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    CMA Death Adder, is Nebulous Translations the "independent development team" mentioned in the first post? If you've partnered with Nebulous (under that name or any other), that'll be welcome news to a lot of us.
    Any update?

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I think chilled meant "unlicensed" as in "committing copyright infringement" (all the bootleg stuff, basically)
    No, I mean(t) unlicensed as in released without Sega's approval, so 108 stars is right about the legal situation on both cases being basically the same, but from a gaming and collecting PoV it is a very different matter to me, as there is where I draw the line from official games released anywhere in thw world with Sega's approval, and all the rest. So yes Pier Solar is a unlicensed game of course. That doesn't mean it's pirate as in "has stolen graphics" ala Brave Battle Saga but pirate as in release without the license to do so (a license which won't be issued anymore, to our dismay)
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    No, I mean(t) unlicensed as in released without Sega's approval, so 108 stars is right about the legal situation on both cases being basically the same, but from a gaming and collecting PoV it is a very different matter to me, as there is where I draw the line from official games released anywhere in thw world with Sega's approval, and all the rest. So yes Pier Solar is a unlicensed game of course. That doesn't mean it's pirate as in "has stolen graphics" ala Brave Battle Saga but pirate as in release without the license to do so (a license which won't be issued anymore, to our dismay)
    I mean, this is also true of about half of the games Accolade published for the Gen/MD. Do you treat those games the same as the titles being released now?

Not to mention that again Sega never approved this release either so really how is it any different? (・~・) (how would you know if it's something that SOA would have never approved? or that Sega would have not approved those unlicensed releases if they had been approached back then?)

Prince of Shatt Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Nebulous Translations the "independent development team" mentioned in the first post?
    Yes. They're a good group: really passionate about the game, and serious about presenting it in the best manner possible.

Quote Originally Posted by SBlaise84 View Post
    I'm sure this is another patch that's gonna get pulled down off the translation sites now...

The patch stays.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Hey, just to clear things up, seeing that you guys are curious (should've done so earlier, but was a tad busy, sorry) - we figured there was no point in SFT doing the translation from scratch, considering there already is a translation that can be used (perhaps with some small tweaks here and there), so we agreed as a team to share the fruits of our labour, a couple months back. We're actually really happy, as this was one of our first major projects and one of our favourite ones thus far by a long shot, and it is also the second officially licensed translation by TheMajinZenki. So, have fun!

Outrunner

I hope some day SFT or Piko pick up the rights to Star Cruiser. Iím tempted to pick up a repro at some point but Iíll hold out a little while longer just in case there is an official release.

WM would never release this thing and all of you know why :P
    Since there's pseudo-remakes of Langrisser being released for Switch and mobiles, I think the translation of 2 may be comming shortly, hopeful with 4 also coming for the PSX, who knows?

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    Yes. They're a good group: really passionate about the game, and serious about presenting it in the best manner possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by cccmar View Post
    Hey, just to clear things up, seeing that you guys are curious (should've done so earlier, but was a tad busy, sorry) - we figured there was no point in SFT doing the translation from scratch, considering there already is a translation that can be used (perhaps with some small tweaks here and there), so we agreed as a team to share the fruits of our labour, a couple months back. We're actually really happy, as this was one of our first major projects and one of our favourite ones thus far by a long shot, and it is also the second officially licensed translation by TheMajinZenki. So, have fun!
    Thanks to you both for the info. This is great news!

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mask of Destiny View Post
    I mean, this is also true of about half of the games Accolade published for the Gen/MD. Do you treat those games the same as the titles being released now?
    I consider them retro-licensed as per the Sega - Accolade agreement that came aferwards. Same goes for those EA early games for the exact same reason. Though, yes, they weren't legally licensed, but if the same company could release licensed games for the same system just a bit later, well...

Of course this release nor Star Odyssey or Duke Nukem were approved by Sega for release outside their initial territories, but then again, those games got officially licensed by some Sega division on some countries and most of the time, when they decided not to release a game on another territory it was for commercial reasons, not because the game didn't pass quality checks or whatever artistic reason we could think of (aside from some game not being culturally understood abroad).
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SBlaise84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post

The patch stays.

Well in that case, good on you!!! It's nice to see that collectors/purists can have their official release with the box, manual, etc but those of us who just want to play the existing translation can continue to do so.
    Last edited by SBlaise84; 01-07-2019 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Didn't quote post i was replying to

Well in that case, good on you!!! It's nice to see that collectors/purists can have their official release with the box, manual, etc but those of us who just want to play the existing translation can continue to do so.
    And people that want to acquire the game through legal means.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker SBlaise84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    And people that want to acquire the game through legal means.
    Yup!

BTW I take it you never play translated roms or put anything on an Everdrive, which as far as I know is still technically copyright infringement regardless of owning a cartridge of the rom you're playing?

Yup!

BTW I take it you never play translated roms or put anything on an Everdrive, which as far as I know is still technically copyright infringement regardless of owning a cartridge of the rom you're playing?
    Why would you assume that?

Just remember that a lot of hard work went into translating this game, so if you'd like to reward the translation staff then consider purchasing the copy. That will certainly motivate them to work on more Sega titles.

Thread Information