Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Secrets of the Sega Mega CD

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Although I'd love more traditional games for Sega/Mega-CD that focus on the benefits of the CD format, street fighting game ports would always turn out worse than carts, unless the Mega-CD game content space could be expanded the way that the PC Engine CD-ROM did.

There isn't enough space for the Mega-CD to handle the existing SFII ports as-is. Building a CD port from the ground up in a higher resolution would result in massive cuts to sprite frames, simplified backgrounds or both.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Although I'd love more traditional games for Sega/Mega-CD that focus on the benefits of the CD format, street fighting game ports would always turn out worse than carts, unless the Mega-CD game content space could be expanded the way that the PC Engine CD-ROM did.

There isn't enough space for the Mega-CD to handle the existing SFII ports as-is. Building a CD port from the ground up in a higher resolution would result in massive cuts to sprite frames, simplified backgrounds or both.
    I still have hope that good things have come out, given the Eternal Champions who have a good frame rate, animation frames and cool scenes, even the Fatal Fury Special has good things that a more experienced team could do a lot better. And since SEGA was based on what NEC did, I have nothing against using a ram cartridge to make better games. Fatal Fury Special and WW2 PCE ports speak for themselves.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I also really enjoyed this video, thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I still have hope that good things have come out, given the Eternal Champions who have a good frame rate, animation frames and cool scenes, even the Fatal Fury Special has good things that a more experienced team could do a lot better. And since SEGA was based on what NEC did, I have nothing against using a ram cartridge to make better games. Fatal Fury Special and WW2 PCE ports speak for themselves.
    Original games is where you'd get the best and balanced use from the overall hardware. Ports restrict what you can do and high profile multi platform ports made console war fans extra critical.

Eternal Champions's backgrounds were excessively dithered, beyond the point of it remaining stylistic, but it still showed how many unique tiles they fit in along with the quality sprite animation. If updating game assets becomes eadier in the future, it would be nice to see what someone could to to clean up those backgrounds
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    If I remember correctly ChillyWilly once noted that the Sega CD doesn't have the same kind of access to the Genesis Cartridge Port that the PC-Engine CD has to it's cartridge port, thus making a RAM cart more difficult if not impossible to pull off.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    If I remember correctly ChillyWilly once noted that the Sega CD doesn't have the same kind of access to the Genesis Cartridge Port that the PC-Engine CD has to it's cartridge port, thus making a RAM cart more difficult if not impossible to pull off.
    I'll be covering this in part 2

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I'll be covering this in part 2
    Cool matteus talk about this in next episode...
    But i feal that anyway theres some trick to solve this because SCD can use cartigdes as memory backup also if you use 32x some games uses both equipment, so maybe something could work like this.

Waiting for next episode =D

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

If you haven't already done so please retweet: https://twitter.com/matteusbeus/stat...77132114038785

I expect the next one will be about 4 weeks I'M still scripting and need to ainmate it all.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Nice video.
    Would you be so kind to explain asic ? How it works?
    How both moto68000 work?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Very well done

WCPO Agent

apart from the music, what is there on Final Fight CD that cannot be done on a stock megadrive with a 32 meg cart ? (or a bank-switched bigger one)
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Too many graphics to be cost effective as a cartridge :​P

Sonic CD is like that too… The game proper is basically stock Mega Drive stuff, but it gets for each act about as much memory as all of Sonic 1 had, so sometimes they just straight up went bonkers with the graphics. While I'm more partial towards the ASIC, it'd be also nice to see how much 2D games can be improved simply from not having to cut out stuff to fit them into a small cartridge (this would go more for games specifically designed for CD rather than ports).

wow great work Matteus, i can't wait to see more!

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    apart from the music, what is there on Final Fight CD that cannot be done on a stock megadrive with a 32 meg cart ? (or a bank-switched bigger one)
    The Arcade perfect sound effects, which make fantasic use of the Mega CD PCM sound chip
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

WCPO Agent

Yes but you could do a beat'em up like this with a 80 meg cart, wouldn't you? Oh wait.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

Thread Information