Quantcast

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Secrets of the Sega Mega CD

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Sega should definitely have had their own "Duo". In fact there should never have been a Mega Drive 2, only a MD + MCD combo.
    And I wonder why a Sega “Trio” System was apparently not even considered; just a Genesis + 32X combo system. Plus a few Genesis + CD combo systems, but never all three at once.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Sega should definitely have had their own "Duo". In fact there should never have been a Mega Drive 2, only a MD + MCD combo.
    This is a really good point and would have made lot of sense back then.

Although I agree with everything that was said, I do not think a DUO or anything else would help with the SEGA CD, the CDX also did not sell those things there.

For me until today the biggest problem of the SEGA CD is the lack of investment of good software that demonstrates why it would be worth you to buy such an expensive equipment.

The titles we had at the launch are ridiculous and are no more than Mega Drive games with CD audio. And then it has not improved much, people love the Sonic CD but even it is weak to show what the hardware is covers, everything there resembles the normal Sonic of Mega Drive, except for the opening in video and the demo in mode 7 that has a poor performance and is annoying.

The release of the Final Fight CD was one of the things that called attention to the console at the time, since they had the engine created .. they could try to throw other CPS1 titles with the same quality, Captain Commando, Cadillacs and Dinossaurs would be a great line up for the console, as well as better ports of SNK games like NEC did.

The problem that SEGA at this time and that she already had this mentality of throwing the product on the market and hopes that others would make it grow like magic without more investment. NEC was successful with PCE CD because it became an extension of the platform .. from that point forward the games would be on CD, they still created NEC Avenue just to make arcade ports for the platform and several other factors.

I do not think she should have abandoned the MD but she certainly lacked a team to bring arcade ports that were very relevant at the time and of course to make games that showed why you should invest 300 $ on the platform. The only one that showed that the MCD is capable was CORE.

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Of course Pyron, but I see the two issues as related.

The reason there wasn't a proper "Duo" for the MD+MCD was the same reason there wasn't proper software support for it from Sega, the Mega CD was an afterthought. Having two different models of the Mega Drive which require 2 different Sega CD models? Not very smart.

If the Mega CD had been a core part of Sega's strategy (like the PCE CD was for NEC), a lot of things would have been different.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    The only one that showed that the MCD is capable was CORE.
    Not quite true. Like I said things might have been different with a Mega CD Duo, but then maybe also not, If the high price of the unit compared to the cheap Mega Drive II priced many families away for a purchase, it's hard to tell. But it wasn't just CORE who used the Mega to its fullest. John O'Brien was the 1st to truly show what the Mega CD was capable off with his incredible Batman Returns driving section engine; Sadly the press at the time just seen them as a bonus (when they were a game all of their own) and moaned about the platform sections instead. You also had GameArts who made fantasic use of the sytem and produced some its best games and also did wonderful ports like Wing Commander or Rise of the Dragon

The real shame was the lack of commitment via SEGA Japan imo. Sonic CD wasn't that good in using what the Mega CD could really do (no PCM sound effects, no heavy use of the ASIC chip on bosses etc) , SOJ didn't bring any of its scaling coin-ups to the system and worst still, also didn't look to use the Final Fight CD engine to bring out better CP2 versions of games like Ghost N Ghouls, Strider to the Mega CD. Strider could have been amazing on the Mega CD with Arcade perfect sounds effects, remied music CD-DA, all the games speech and most of the Arcade game animation and I was also gutted that PS IV with all its planned FMV and also the 3D sections back, was dropped for the Mega CD and brought to the Mega Drive instead.

SEGA Japan were a joke on the Mega CD
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The reason there wasn't a proper "Duo" for the MD+MCD was the same reason there wasn't proper software support for it from Sega, the Mega CD was an afterthought. Having two different models of the Mega Drive which require 2 different Sega CD models? Not very smart.
    But if you look at japanese market they did a duo kind of thing, the Victor Wondermega, also SEGA sell some units over SEGA brand and does not help much because is too expensive,
    the second version they capped some features and builty quality to reduce the price and didnt help ether.

If you look at the old PCE owners, the majority have the Super CD-rom Addon, the Duos is for the newcomers..
    Anyway lets looks at this scenario that SEGA was launched a 500$ MD duo.. what software gonna be packed in to sell this?

SEGA miss up hardly with mdcd..

But if you look at japanese market they did a duo kind of thing, the Victor Wondermega
    SEGA made their own Wondermega too, but like the JVC Wondermega it cost more than buying a Mega CD and Mega Drive separately and both units were limited to like a 5,000 production run. I think SEGA's trouble was, just that the base Mega Drive had simply become so successful so meant so many developers (including SEGA) looked to lead on it . I think things might have been very different if SEGA Japan had games like Outrun, Space Harrier, AF II, GF II on the Mega CD with the levels of ASIC effects seen in Batman Returns and Soul Star all with Arcade perfect music and sound effects. I would have liked to seen LucasArts supported the Mega CD better too, it really could have played host to wonderful 16-bit versions of Monkey Island II, Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit the Road ect
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Sega "Duo" machines that were released were overpriced since they were licensed to other companies. A proper, Sega branded Duo wouldn't have been as expensive, it would have been an MD2 + MCD2 in one package which (and this is highly important) would cement Sega's commitment to the CD medium. Every new Mega Drive would come with the CD drive included, which would give devs a lot more confidence that CD was the way to go.

The fact that Sega didn't do that, and instead created the mess they did with the MD2, shows that they did not care one bit about the MCD. The lack of software support is another clear piece of evidence of course, but I'm saying the two come as a package. Two sides of the same coin.

The Sega "Duo" machines that were released were overpriced since they were licensed to other companies. A proper, Sega branded Duo wouldn't have been as expensive, it would have been an MD2 + MCD2 in one package which (and this is highly important) would cement Sega's commitment to the CD medium.
    I own the SEGA branded Wondermega and that cost the same as the JVC model and was even more limited and harder to get a hold off at the time.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The fact that Sega didn't do that, and instead created the mess they did with the MD2, shows that they did not care one bit about the MCD. The lack of software support is another clear piece of evidence of course, but I'm saying the two come as a package. Two sides of the same coin.
    If sega was launched the "duo" instead of MD2 of course the things will be different, keep de model 1 and sega cd as opition on market too. I agree that will be alot better

But looking for other side, cut of costs is one the keys that keep MD on the lead in that era.. i don't know if the average consumer can spend too much on a DUO System,
    Take this perpersctive, its gonna helps Nintendo because already have games with mode7 and better color output on the screen costing much less...
    The killer aps again is the only way to make it works

The killer aps again is the only way to make it works
    Not always. Look at SONY VR its got a killer App in Astrobot but there is no way on earth that SONY VR will be any more than a niche product and sell nothing like the numbers of the base unit and where Software support will be nothing like that to the base unit even via SONY.
    And like I've said SEGA own Duo style Mega CD and Mega Drive combo were hugely expensive with the SEGA Wondermega and Multi-Mega. It would be hard to tell if SEGA only made Wondermega units from that point, if Mega CD support would have picked up given the costs compared to the cheap standard base MD 1 or II models
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Not always. Look at SONY VR its got a killer App in Astrobot but there is no way on earth that SONY VR will be any more than a niche product and sell nothing like the numbers of the base unit and where Software support will be nothing like that to the base unit even via SONY.
    And like I've said SEGA own Duo style Mega CD and Mega Drive combo were hugely expensive with the SEGA Wondermega and Multi-Mega. It would be hard to tell if SEGA only made Wondermega units from that point, if Mega CD support would have picked up given the costs compared to the cheap standard base MD 1 or II models
    But that's what I say to all my friends, I do not think 1 or even 5 exclusive good games are enough for you to spend a fortune on a new system. There are people who have enough money to spend and do not care about it, but the whole ecosystem is important.

Imagine for example if TAKARA took the ports of Neo Geo for the SEGA CD, Samurai Shodow 1 and Fatal Fury Special would be much better, we saw that dealing with the giant sprites as in the arcade was quiet for the SEGA CD, lacked the same care with the scenarios, voices and etc ... thing that TAKARA showed to be able on Mega Drive. With this we could have an excellent port of Samurai Shodow 2, Wolrd Heores 2 jet and several other successes. An SSF2T port running from 320x224 doing more justice to the arcade before the 3DO, like several other Beat 'em up. And of course original and creative games without being the only FMV.

Working Designs did a great job with the Lunar series, but as you said PS4 deserved its version on the SEGA CD, as well as a Shining Force that misused more of the capabilities of the platform.

You with a good marketing campaign, promising good titles and establishing partnerships would be the way to ensure that people buy the Duo's or the equipment in particular, because we know that it's really good.

@TA
    The "Sega" Wondermega was just a rebranded Victor Wondermega. The Wondermega was licensed tech and treated as a high-end machine, this thing is not equivalent to what the TurboDuo was in any way.

@TA
    The "Sega" Wondermega was just a rebranded Victor Wondermega. The Wondermega was licensed tech and treated as a high-end machine, this thing is not equivalent to what the TurboDuo was in any way.
    I was making the point we had a SEGA model and we didn't see any difference in price, much like they was no difference with the JVC rebranded SEGA Saturn to that of the SEGA model. SEGA wasn't willing to take any hit with selling any of its Mega CD units at a loss

Looking at the price of the Mega CD II and Mega Drive II set up It wasn't cheap. So one does wonder if it would have sold well in the West if SEGA didn't make a standalone Mega Drive or Mega Drive II and instead just went for a Duo setup. It really could have opened the door for the SNES and there was no guarantee that developers wouldn't have just stuck to carts, given the Mega CD development issues compared to the ease of developing for the MD and by that stage, millions upon millions of base Mega Drives had already been sold.

To me it was up for SEGA Japan to show and take the lead on Mega CD development and showing off what the system could do; why you had to own one and SOJ didn't do it. They were pretty dire and rubbish on the Mega CD truth be told
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-07-2019 at 12:00 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Great video, Matteus. Interesting and well explained.

Thread Information