Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BlastEm 0.6.1 Released

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    If you want that, use Retroarch (libretro)[...]
    I remember that the team in charge of the xbox 360 project stopped the development because of a difficulty that it couldn't get resolved ?

Retroarch is good but also in the trend of mediacenter inferfaces, the references from the goldenband post are more than true.
    Because KEGA Fusion is anything but absurd.

For the record, regarding the UI: I think one of the main reasons why it's like this and not like e.g. Gens, Kega or Regen is that the idea is to eventually get it working on non-windowed platforms (e.g. Android), as well as making it usable with only the controller (not sure if it's there yet, I don't have a PC controller so I can't check). That means menubars and such are out of the question.

There's definitely a lot of work to be done on it yet but don't ever expect anything like what you've been accustomed on Windows so far. Though if you've ever used RetroArch you already are accustomed to things being wildly different anyway :​v (and RetroArch has its own fair share of UI problems)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Hello Mask of Destiny,

I greatly appreciate you sharing your emulator with us. (and I'm also impressed by your patient tone in this thread.)

Upon installing version 0.6.2-1 from the AUR in Arch linux I see the following issues:

1. Selecting the "controllers" option in the menu causes a segfault. Terminal output:

Code:
    width: 640, height: 480
    Window created with size: 1920 x 1080
    config says: 512
    Initialized audio at frequency 48000 with a 512 sample buffer, 32-bit float format
    Added 14 game controller mappings from gamecontrollerdb.txt
    Min samples buffered before audio start: 800
    Joystick 0 added: Generic X-Box pad
    	Num Axes: 6
    	Num Buttons: 11
    	Num Hats: 1
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    2. Audio seems to get choppy and stuttery after about 2 minutes of playtime if the Compton compositor is enabled. (so, I disabled it which seems to fix the issue.)

3. With Compton disabled, pausing in the middle of play and changing Vsync from "off" to "on, tear if late", and then resuming play crashes the program with the terminal message:
    Code:
    blastem: nuklear_ui/nuklear_sdl_gles2.h:127: nk_sdl_device_create: Assertion `status == GL_TRUE' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)

Do you think these are issues with the AUR? If so I can take it up on that side. If not, let me know if you need any more info.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post
    The GUI more like KEGA Fusion with all its options and more would be great.
    Look, I'm under no illusions that the current UI is perfect. It's a bit buggy (in some cases directly because of me and in some cases due to issues with the UI toolkit I picked) and has a bunch of areas that need more polish. That said, "make it more like Kega" is not helpful feedback. Helpful UI feedback looks like "When I try to do X, I find it difficult/confusing/whatever because of Y".

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    For the record, regarding the UI: I think one of the main reasons why it's like this and not like e.g. Gens, Kega or Regen is that the idea is to eventually get it working on non-windowed platforms (e.g. Android), as well as making it usable with only the controller (not sure if it's there yet, I don't have a PC controller so I can't check). That means menubars and such are out of the question.
    Being usable with a controller while sitting at "couch distance" is a definite goal, though I haven't yet gotten to making controllers actually work with the UI yet. If the UI is also usable on mobile that's a bonus, but not really an explicit goal right now as it might be better to have a native Android UI when I revisit that platform. At one point, I was thinking about having two different UI styles, but decided that the amount of extra effort required would not be worth it given that it wasn't even clear that there was a big UX advantage to traditional menus. Video game menus seem to get by just fine without them.

Quote Originally Posted by retronostalgia View Post
    1. Selecting the "controllers" option in the menu causes a segfault.
    Not 100% sure, but this is probably a packaging issue. You will get a crash in this instance if the controller images are not properly bundled with the emulator (I know because I accidentally did this when I released 0.6.0, oops).

2. Audio seems to get choppy and stuttery after about 2 minutes of playtime if the Compton compositor is enabled. (so, I disabled it which seems to fix the issue.)
    What sync source do you have selected (audio or video)? If you have audio selected (the default), is vsync turned on or is your compositor forcing vsync (easy test, try to set a speed faster than 100%, defaults to keys 1-4, and see if it works)?

3. With Compton disabled, pausing in the middle of play and changing Vsync from "off" to "on, tear if late", and then resuming play crashes the program with the terminal message:
    Code:
    blastem: nuklear_ui/nuklear_sdl_gles2.h:127: nk_sdl_device_create: Assertion `status == GL_TRUE' failed.
    Aborted (core dumped)
    I'm guessing you're running in fullscreen? Known issue that's fixed in the repo/nightlies. The workaround is to exit after changing any video settings and reopen OR to temporarily toggle off fullscreen before resuming/loading a ROM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mask of Destiny View Post
    Not 100% sure, but this is probably a packaging issue. You will get a crash in this instance if the controller images are not properly bundled with the emulator (I know because I accidentally did this when I released 0.6.0, oops).
    OK, I'll follow up with the packager on this one.

What sync source do you have selected (audio or video)? If you have audio selected (the default), is vsync turned on or is your compositor forcing vsync (easy test, try to set a speed faster than 100%, defaults to keys 1-4, and see if it works)?
    I do have audio selected as the sync source; regardless of whether the compositor is off or on, or whether vsync is enabled or not in blastem, or which sync source is selected, (I *think* I checked all the permutations...) I get choppy stuttering audio, and no change in game speed, if I press any of 1-4.
    Since I don't get any play problems if I disable the compositor and avoid pressing 1-4, that's what I'll plan on doing.

I'm guessing you're running in fullscreen? Known issue that's fixed in the repo/nightlies. The workaround is to exit after changing any video settings and reopen OR to temporarily toggle off fullscreen before resuming/loading a ROM.
    Yep, I was indeed running in fullscreen. I can confirm that your suggested workarounds both work.

BTW, one more issue I noticed: in fullscreen, dropdown menu items are not always visible. (the list is squished and some elements are hidden.) In windowed mode on the other hand everything looks good.

Look, I'm under no illusions that the current UI is perfect. It's a bit buggy (in some cases directly because of me and in some cases due to issues with the UI toolkit I picked) and has a bunch of areas that need more polish. That said, "make it more like Kega" is not helpful feedback. Helpful UI feedback looks like "When I try to do X, I find it difficult/confusing/whatever because of Y".
    Make an effort together to ensure that everyone can understand each other :

Form is as important as substance, which is why I understand your concern for interactives functionalitys.

However, the windowed interface offers a spatial field and a supervision vision 1 million times more comfortable than a series of interposed screens.

For feedback : I've seen an ambivalent rendering from one OpenGL to another and underutilized CPUs, but I'm not going to repeat my speech....

Please, change the interface, you will do a setback but 3 moves to forwards to get your feedback of quality experiences.
    Last edited by Pha; 04-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.

That feedback is about as generic as "make it like Kega" (・~・) Especially since in Fusion when dialog boxes show up they render the main window unusable much like what happens with the UI in BlastEm. I suppose the one thing Fusion does that BlastEm doesn't is show status messages in the main window itself (BlastEm merely outputs them to the terminal).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    That feedback is about as generic as "make it like Kega" (・~・) Especially since in Fusion when dialog boxes show up they render the main window unusable much like what happens with the UI in BlastEm. I suppose the one thing Fusion does that BlastEm doesn't is show status messages in the main window itself (BlastEm merely outputs them to the terminal).
    ...And with a pad you press the home button to find the main dashboard, the keyboard and mouse in the trash ?

Road Rasher

I do have audio selected as the sync source; regardless of whether the compositor is off or on, or whether vsync is enabled or not in blastem, or which sync source is selected, (I *think* I checked all the permutations...) I get choppy stuttering audio, and no change in game speed, if I press any of 1-4.
    Since I don't get any play problems if I disable the compositor and avoid pressing 1-4, that's what I'll plan on doing.
    Definitely sounds like something is forcing vsync (maybe your video driver?). Might be worth switching to sync to video. It won't restore turbo mode (though maybe that will be fixed in the next release), but it might fix your issues when running with the compositor.

BTW, one more issue I noticed: in fullscreen, dropdown menu items are not always visible. (the list is squished and some elements are hidden.) In windowed mode on the other hand everything looks good.
    Also a known issue. I have some UI scaling issues I need to resolve, but yeah this is in large part another symptom of most of my testing being in windowed mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pha View Post
    ...And with a pad you press the home button to find the main dashboard, the keyboard and mouse in the trash ?
    You can open the menu with the keyboard too (mapped to Escape by default). I personally find the UI pretty easy to navigate with a mouse, apart from a bug in Nuklear that makes the scroll wheel not work in some cases. Large buttons are much easier/faster to click then nested menus because they require less precision. Information density could probably be improved in the fullscreen/large window case for desktop users by not scaling the UI so much (or perhaps not at all).

An EMD emulator ? The next level

Thread Information