Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What if Saturn had lasted one more year in the U.S.?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I came out in August of 1998, because jackass wanted to make sure that his game was the very last title published in North America. I got mine @ Nov/Dec at an EB in South Carolina. It was on a small shelf with a handful of Japanese imports. I was close to not buying it, because they wanted $70 for it.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I came out in August of 1998, because jackass wanted to make sure that his game was the very last title published in North America. I got mine @ Nov/Dec at an EB in South Carolina. It was on a small shelf with a handful of Japanese imports. I was close to not buying it, because they wanted $70 for it.
    MKR wasn't priced higher than regular non-Nintendo games here ($70'ish), but I remember that Lufia II was stocked at the same time with a price of $99.99 Canadian.

The crazy part is that I was surprised that Lufua II was so cheap compared to many other SNES RPGs during the 32-bit era.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Anyone ever see Saturn games at a Blockbuster? Mine never had them.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    MKR wasn't priced higher than regular non-Nintendo games here ($70'ish), but I remember that Lufia II was stocked at the same time with a price of $99.99 Canadian.

The crazy part is that I was surprised that Lufua II was so cheap compared to many other SNES RPGs during the 32-bit era.
    Y'all are getting ripped off, but it's understandable, considering the exchange rate.

I remember not buying (future me hates that choice) Ogre Battle for the SNES because EB wanted $70 for it. What's really sad is that I was so desperate for a PlayStation RPG, that I'd paid $70 for Beyond the Beyond, which was not a very good RPG.

One of the main reasons why I had to think about not paying $70 for MKR, was because Christmas was right around the corner, and I had recently purchased Vampire Savior ($60 with 4MB cart) from another EB store. I had gifts to buy for the wife, sisters, brother and parents. I also recalled that Albert Odyssey had only set me back about $60, about 6 months earlier.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

WCPO Agent

If the Saturn lasted 1 more year in the US, we'd only have half as many Saturn related what-if threads.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    If the Saturn lasted 1 more year in the US, we'd only have half as many Saturn related what-if threads.
    Fair but this now 50% of this forum is what if. It's easy to be cynical but I find it fun to discuss how the gaming landscape could have been different for better or worse.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    And Saturn threads that last a year longer too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    Not sure how accurate that is. I always hear of people boasting about picking up Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga on clearance from major chain stores like Toys R Us, and those games were released in 1998.
    According to former SOA employees who worked on Panzer Dragoon Saga:

Between the Dreamcast’s impending arrival, the Saturn’s sunset, and the game’s financial flop in its home country, where it had received a wide release, Saga wasn’t set up to succeed in North America or Europe, where retailers had grown reluctant to stock Saturn games. “Matt and I were telling the execs and sales, ‘Go go go! Make more!!! This game is special!’” Lucich says. Their appeals were ignored, and a diminished and distracted marketing department devoted little money or time to what looked like a low-dollar dead end. “We had almost no marketing for the game,” says Lucich, who took to sending screenshots to bloggers just to spread the word. “Just a couple of print ads.”

According to Underwood and Lucich, only 20,000 North American copies were produced in Saga’s initial run. After those sold out in two days, between 2,000 and 5,000 more were made. Then the tap turned off forever. Nulty recalls an “extremely small run” of roughly 1,000 copies being ordered in Europe.
    https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/29/...ng-masterpiece

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Anyone ever see Saturn games at a Blockbuster? Mine never had them.
    Yeah, I rented a lot of games that I would never have bought at full price. I think that the first one I rented was Skeleton Warriors. The last might have been Mr Bones.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I had a huge Blockbuster store near my apartment back then. They had a seperate section that they called the Game Zone. I was renting SEGA CD games from in back around 1993 and just around mid 1995 they closed down the Game Zone section and sold off a lot of the software for dirt cheap. I ended up buying 2 Virtual Boys with the custom carrying case for $30 each, along with every game for $4 each.

Block Buster moved the games back over to where the movies were another retailer moved into that extra space. I’d only seen like a half dozen Saturn games and it was Daytona, Mike Ditka Football and maybe SEGA Rally. Nothing worth my time, because I pretty much owned every title they had to rent for the Saturn.

I got some SNES/N64 games at Blockbuster on sales. I miss going to movie rental stores for both films and games. I also liked the gaming merch they sold on the side. Sure not special now but nostalgia and all.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Fair but this now 50% of this forum is what if. It's easy to be cynical but I find it fun to discuss how the gaming landscape could have been different for better or worse.
    It's fun to speculate about the what-ifs of this console, because it's difficult to fathom how Sega managed to fuck it up so bad when it really seems like they had every chance not to. I think we'd all like to live in that parallel universe where they didn't, and the console was a success, and we actually got Sonic Xtreme. If the few releases that made it out in 98 were any indication, it seemed as though the console was going to eventually "catch up" with the others in terms of 3D games. Honestly, I don't think it was all that far behind anyway, comparing titles across all platforms in 1997. Sega had fucked up so bad, they couldn't afford to sit on a console that was never going to start selling no matter how good the games got. Had they not been on the verge of bankruptcy, they might have ridden in out as-is a couple more years, sadly it was not in the cards.

The more I delve into this system, the less I can understand why anyone would have chosen not to buy it. Da fuq was a PlayStation in 1995 and why did anyone want it at that time? That's the way that I felt, even by 1998, but then again I wasn't an RPG fan, couldn't care less about FF or Square. Was $100 savings and Square pledging support really the deciding factor not to buy a Saturn? If I'd been in the position of choosing a new game console in 95, I'd surely have gone with the Saturn. So long as the marketing was there enough to know about it, and the local retail stores actually had them in stock.

Thread Information