Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What if Saturn had lasted one more year in the U.S.?

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    How can I buy it at the time when no one was selling Saturn games?
    In the same way, I did, Mail Order. Import shop: hence how one was able to get the likes of Magic Knight Rayearth and Burning Rangers. In the UK I had to use mail order to get Deep Fear given most High Street shops had dropped the Saturn too and even used my Import shop to get Saturn Pal stuff from time to time too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

You have to know the Saturn exists first. That was a real hurdle in 1997 in the US.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    You have to know the Saturn exists first. That was a real hurdle in 1997 in the US.
    Given you own/owned a Saturn, I'm sure even you knew it existed
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-09-2019 at 11:16 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

The whole point of this what-if is to suppose that Saturn was just a little more successful, not to suppose that it would have come anywhere near PS1's numbers. If Sega had sold 1-2 million more Saturns in the U.S., that would have increased it's install base by 20-40%. A lot more people would have known about Saturn, stores would have carried Saturn games much longer, and there may have been enough demand for more games to be brought over from Japan as well as to have some new games developed well into 1998.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Given you own/owned a Saturn, I'm sure even you knew it existed
    I think most people knew of the saturn, they just didnt buy one because playstation was 100 dollars cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    I think most people knew of the saturn, they just didnt buy one because playstation was 100 dollars cheaper
    That wasn't the point I was making there.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Are you just going by the myth of "launch" prices?

The Saturn was cheaper than the Playstation in Canada, and the U.S. from what I saw at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

Yeah, as I recall, the Saturn matched the PlayStation pretty evenly for price.

It's also worth noting that most of the Saturn's sales in NA came when Sega started doing the 3 free games deal. This reportedly cost them heavily. In order to break even on manufacturing costs, Sega had to sell 8 games per console. However, they ended up giving away 3 games in order to push their unsold inventory of Saturns. This just pushed them further into the red when people didn't buy games.

I say that because the Saturn's sales numbers can be deceptive without understanding them. The 3 free games deal was a desperation move and was heavily opposed by people like Shoichiro Irimajiri, who wanted to kill the Saturn off even earlier.

Before the free game deal, I don't even think the Saturn had pushed 1 million units, which was nowhere near what they needed to keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Yeah, as I recall, the Saturn matched the PlayStation pretty evenly for price.

It's also worth noting that most of the Saturn's sales in NA came when Sega started doing the 3 free games deal
    Not at the start, there was a clear 100 /$ difference between the 2 systems on its US and UK launch. But whats never factored is you didn't need to buy a memory card, the Saturn had a free game (VF) In both cases not the same with the PS and in the UK you also had a Scart Lead as standard too (30 on its own)
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Not at the start, there was a clear 100 /$ difference between the 2 systems on its US and UK launch. But whats never factored is you didn't need to buy a memory card, the Saturn had a free game (VF) In both cases not the same with the PS and in the UK you also had a Scart Lead as standard too (30 on its own)
    Again, you must be reading random wiki details out of context. "At the start" in North America, there was no Playstation. The Saturn had a surprise early launch 4 - 5 months before the launch of the Playstation.

The msrp of the Saturn up until near the Playstation launch was higher than what the PSX launched at, but it was changed to be equal to that of the upcoming PSX and advertised as such before the PSX was available to buy.

Separate from some Saturn package deals that I saw advertised, which were likely retailer based, all Saturns came with Virtua Fighter packed in and by the time the Playstation launched, there were various ways that VF Remix was distributed for free, including being packed together with the console.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent Gryson's Avatar

I think there may have been a few times when the PlayStation dropped in price before the Saturn, but Sega always responded not too long after. There wouldn't have been a price war if Sega kept the Saturn $100 more than the PlayStation.

One thing about the Sega Saturn I never totally recognized myself and I think is misunderstood about the system is how vastly different a gaming machine it was in Japan than the rest of the world.

And I mean that by how seemingly insulated it became as Sega fumbled marketing it everywhere did Japanese developers find themselves free to just design and produce games according to the Japanese audience.

That probably reads as minor because of the typical imports that come to mind like "Radiant Silvergun" or "Dead or Alive", etc., but I feel this was the beginning in a separation in game culture where Japanese tastes both in genre and aesthetics were becoming polarizing.

When you see titles like "Pia Carrot", "Culdcept", or "Eve Burst Error", topping the lists while "Guardian Heroes" barely cutting top 100 or not listing other games altogether like "Astal" - Supporting the Saturn another year wouldn't have yielded anything in terms of titles worth the localization effort, or already niche import market.

I look at the Saturn here as a console that pioneered the concepts and mechanics of 3D gameplay, developed upon in stride the arcade-at-home experience, and is the last house to truly celebrate 2D games both at their peak and at a time when they were being discarded.

I look at the Saturn in Japan as NEC's PC-FX but popular. Really popular. But only in Japan because it found itself catering to Japan.

One more year would have been for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Again, you must be reading random wiki details out of context. "At the start" in North America, there was no Playstation. The Saturn had a surprise early launch 4 - 5 months before the launch of the Playstation.

The msrp of the Saturn up until near the Playstation launch was higher than what the PSX launched at, but it was changed to be equal to that of the upcoming PSX and advertised as such before the PSX was available to buy.

Separate from some Saturn package deals that I saw advertised, which were likely retailer based, all Saturns came with Virtua Fighter packed in and by the time the Playstation launched, there were various ways that VF Remix was distributed for free, including being packed together with the console.
    I don't use Wiki for Saturn/PS stuff and just remember what was reported or advertised in the press at the time. The Saturn cost more at launch than the PS in all key territories (JP/US/Pal) but like I said for the higher price you also got a free game and didn't need to buy a memory card (30 on its own in the UK, not sure in the USA) and also in the UK you had the added bonus of an Official Scart cable too (30 on its own). Not that I ever thought the higher price was the issue, given SEGA dropped prices very early in for all markets.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Lync View Post
    I look at the Saturn here as a console that pioneered the concepts and mechanics of 3D gameplay, developed upon in stride the arcade-at-home experience, and is the last house to truly celebrate 2D games both at their peak and at a time when they were being discarded.
    I don't agree. We could have had some really nice software at the end not all of which would have been niche games (not that's a bad thing) Think its very sad were never had the likes of Gun Griffon 2, Zork Collection, Virus, Stellar Assault SS, Metal Slug in the west. The Saturn is far more like the NEC PC Engine too imo. Does really well in Japan and so not surprisingly gets Japanese games that the market likes (both systems to own for shooters too) , while the Western side totally screws up the handling of the western side for marketing and games. Pretty similar for the OG Xbox only that would be the opposite in doing well in the West and being dominated with western style software and for SONY it's much the same with the Vita where it does well in Japan and so gets a ton of RPG's

I also have to say that Guardian Heroes is one of the most overrated games ever. It's a great game to show off the hardware, but the game isn't that great (for me) and the gameplay gets very boring and each level plays and looks much the same. I so wish SEGA Japan would have ported Revenge of the Death Adder which is such a better game and would have been perfect for the Saturn
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I don't agree. We could have had some really nice software at the end not all of which would have been niche games (not that's a bad thing) Think its very sad were never had the likes of Gun Griffon 2, Zork Collection, Virus, Stellar Assault SS, Metal Slug in the west. The Saturn is far more like the NEC PC Engine too imo. Does really well in Japan and so not surprisingly gets Japanese games that the market likes (both systems to own for shooters too) , while the Western side totally screws up the handling of the western side for marketing and games. Pretty similar for the OG Xbox only that would be the opposite in doing well in the West and being dominated with western style software and for SONY it's much the same with the Vita where it does well in Japan and so gets a ton of RPG's
    I would have loved to have Stellar Assault SS - but even in Japan that is a very difficult game to find. Which is a great example of a genre I think that has done well in the West, but in Japan - were plane/space ship simulators popular? That is my question in regards to appeal and why I have the impression of the Saturn becoming this island. By 1998 developers no longer needed to care about anyone but the Japanese gamer.

My answer to the OP - If we are speculating that the Saturn had a more comprehensive launch/developer support/smarter marketing/etc. then the discussion is just another guessing game with a crystal ball.

If we are talking about how the Saturn's run actually was, and if it had gone another year outside Japan, I'm saying the offering would have still been nil. Maybe something decent like Street Fighter Alpha 3 would have happened. Or, as I am trying to say, publishers would have little to offer anyways outside of popular and goofy sh!t in Japan like Metamor V.

So similar to the PC Engine? Sure, I think that is a better analogy than me saying PC-FX.

Thread Information