Quantcast

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Launch PS3 Not Reading DVD Movies

  1. #1
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,283
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Launch PS3 Not Reading DVD Movies

    My launch PS3 has stopped recognizing or playing DVD movies. It will play Blu Rays, PS3, PS2 (also on DVD), and PS1 games, but not DVD movies. It's annoying having to have a separate DVD player connected. It played them fine before and I've probably watched a hundred movies on it by now.

    The drive failed in 2009 (wouldn't read anything) and was replaced by Sony.

    Has anyone had this problem? Scouring the internet shows that no one has really kept their PS3 this long, most of the complaints are from hardware issues like pushing a disc in too far etc.

    I think the lens might just be dirty if old audio CD players were any similar.

  2. #2
    Death Adder's minion
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Carlisle, OH
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    My launch PS3 has stopped recognizing or playing DVD movies. It will play Blu Rays, PS3, PS2 (also on DVD), and PS1 games, but not DVD movies. It's annoying having to have a separate DVD player connected. It played them fine before and I've probably watched a hundred movies on it by now.

    The drive failed in 2009 (wouldn't read anything) and was replaced by Sony.

    Has anyone had this problem? Scouring the internet shows that no one has really kept their PS3 this long, most of the complaints are from hardware issues like pushing a disc in too far etc.

    I think the lens might just be dirty if old audio CD players were any similar.
    I've never had this problem, however I've repaired several ps3s (mostly slim models). I will say, a lot of the replacement lasers on ebay won't read audio cd's or PS1 games. I suppose most people don't care, but I went through 3 new ones before I "gave up". Best advice would be to disassemble the unit and clean the laser to see if that works, and next step would be to replace the laser. I may have a spare used launch PS3 disc drive if you're interested.

  3. #3
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,283
    Rep Power
    81

    Default

    Good information, I think the lens just needs a clean. Too bad the replacements are garbage.

  4. #4
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,331
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    I'm going through a somewhat similar issue with my PS2. It'll play most of the games, including the blue DVDs, but for some reason, Contra: Shattered Soldier (blue DVD) wouldn't work. I took the game over to my PS3 and it works fine. I'm thinking I may need to open up the laser to clean the other lens below it.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  5. #5
    Nameless One vexatious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    94
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Use multiman. If on newer firmware try to go back to older firmware.

  6. #6
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,283
    Rep Power
    81

    Default

    Is Contra dual-layer and the others single?

  7. #7
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    619
    Rep Power
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'm going through a somewhat similar issue with my PS2. It'll play most of the games, including the blue DVDs, but for some reason, Contra: Shattered Soldier (blue DVD) wouldn't work. I took the game over to my PS3 and it works fine. I'm thinking I may need to open up the laser to clean the other lens below it.

    The blue discs on the PS2 are CD-ROMS, not DVDs. They were mostly earlier games. You'll probably notice that the discs spin a lot faster than the regular silver DVDs. As for why that specific isn't working I'm not sure, having looked online it seems if the PS2 is having issues with the blue discs that it might indicate a laser power issue or an issue with the alignment, some others talk about the blue discs slipping in the drive, I've never experienced any issues with the blue discs. Something funky with that specific disc maybe.

    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=35113.0

  8. #8
    Raging in the Streets Blades's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    3,283
    Rep Power
    81

    Default

    And I've lost CD reading. I guess the DVD/CD lens is dirty or something.

  9. #9
    AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,012
    Rep Power
    39

    Default

    All the more reason to mod the system. I mildly regret only putting a 120GB drive in my PS2, but I don't play too many games as it is, and swapping them around isn't too difficult.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

  10. #10
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,331
    Rep Power
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    The blue discs on the PS2 are CD-ROMS, not DVDs. They were mostly earlier games. You'll probably notice that the discs spin a lot faster than the regular silver DVDs. As for why that specific isn't working I'm not sure, having looked online it seems if the PS2 is having issues with the blue discs that it might indicate a laser power issue or an issue with the alignment, some others talk about the blue discs slipping in the drive, I've never experienced any issues with the blue discs. Something funky with that specific disc maybe.

    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=35113.0
    PSOne games work just fine though.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •