Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project:Halloweenville

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Scrobins09's Avatar

Backed, good luck with the Kickstarter!

Thanks!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Backed. Just tried the demo ROM, and here are some thoughts:

Controls: A is Jump, and B is attack with no way to change it. Controls are backwards to the norm. B should jump while A attacks.
    Music: The opening "metal" theme is ear grating IMO. Once it gets past the opening part of the song into it's more cartoony theme, it sounds better.
    Gameplay: The hit detection is weird. I can jump kick enemies just fine, but the punch attack is pretty useless unless you time it perfectly and are at the right distance. This needs to be tweaked.

Otherwise, the animation is fantastic with a nice use of color. Controls are responsive. Hope to see more good work from this.

Quote Originally Posted by avlon View Post
    Backed. Just tried the demo ROM, and here are some thoughts:

Controls: A is Jump, and B is attack with no way to change it. Controls are backwards to the norm. B should jump while A attacks.
    Music: The opening "metal" theme is ear grating IMO. Once it gets past the opening part of the song into it's more cartoony theme, it sounds better.
    Gameplay: The hit detection is weird. I can jump kick enemies just fine, but the punch attack is pretty useless unless you time it perfectly and are at the right distance. This needs to be tweaked.

Otherwise, the animation is fantastic with a nice use of color. Controls are responsive. Hope to see more good work from this.
    Actually, most Genesis games used C for jumping.
    I demand a Blaze spinoff!

Me blog

Hope Exists

Yeah, the norm was A = special, B = attack, C = jump (this is even suggested by Sega's documentation). But nowadays if you ask it seems evenly split between people who want A to jump and people who want C to jump (and often the former tend to be louder…).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yeah, the norm was A = special, B = attack, C = jump (this is even suggested by Sega's documentation). But nowadays if you ask it seems evenly split between people who want A to jump and people who want C to jump (and often the former tend to be louder…).
    When you need to use 2 buttons, I think it's more comfortable to use B and C rather than A and B. It's less cramped. In this context, if you apply Super Mario logic to these 2 buttons, you'd use the one on the right to jump (C). This makes me wonder how the Master System Converter maps buttons... I'd expect B = 1, C = 2.

If I had to order buttons from most important to least, it'd be B, C, A (unless jumping is important, like for platformers... then C, B, A). For arcade games, it's usually 1, 2, 3. A random example to illustrate that, Crude Buster (Mega Drive version: A = Grab, B = Attack, C = Jump, arcade version: 1 = Attack, 2 = Jump, 3 = Grab).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miru View Post
    Actually, most Genesis games used C for jumping.
    100% correct. Usually the default was:

A: Special Attack, B: Attack, C: Jump.

I think my point was still clear though. Plus, most games allow for remapping which made that issue moot for the most part.

I'm glad that Second Dimension accepted the constructive feedback gracefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    This makes me wonder how the Master System Converter maps buttons... I'd expect B = 1, C = 2.
    Yep, though that's not a thing from the converter, the same happens if you plug the Mega Drive controllers on an actual Master System — the controllers themselves were designed to be backwards compatible.

I guess this mess is probably why Jaguar arranges buttons as C-B-A instead of A-B-C (no more arguing about which is the "main" button).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Ah yes, I forgot you can plug Mega Drive controllers on the Master System.
    I don't consider it a mess, personally. Reordering buttons to C-B-A brings at least as many issues as it solves, I think.

Haha sorry for the button mess! I just used those as testing since I use ZXC on the keyboard for ABC, and it's just easier for me to test this way.

Button configurations will 100% implemented before the game is finished (it's actually halfway there right now, so I could put in some quick generic config option for the next demo release).

As for the punch detection - feedback received loud and clear! I'll be working on that over the next few days to see if I can't make it better and more effective to use.

ALSO, this is just a demo level. This won't be in the final build. This just sort of helped me figure out how to code the engine as I was building it.

Hey folks, I'll be livestreaming the game with its lead devs this Monday. Be sure to come and say hi!

Please check out my YouTube channel

Sports Talker

24h left, come on people support this

Hey everyone! It's been a while, but boy have we been busy!

Here's an update video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OivmTJFmbA8

I'm getting ready to finish up the first boss battle (hopefully this week, need to add in the "death" sequence and tweak the difficulty). Aside from the colored doors and keys, and extra life, the core engine is nearly complete, which means aside from programming other enemy/boss AI for the next set of levels, everything is just drag and drop into the game

Other features have been completed too (save game selection screen is functional, options screen, etc).

Anyway, more to come soon!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training nemezes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by molasar View Post
    really nice and fun game. I played it and beat the boss.

Thread Information