Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: R-Type vs Gradius vs Darius which is better?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Opa-Opa R-Type vs Gradius vs Darius which is better?

This can be game by game basis or as a series. Up to you.

Personally was never much of a fan of Gradius. R-type is good but I'd choose Darius series over both. Unusual but great music and the sea creature like bosses always been unique. I remember playing G-Darius in a game store on PS1 back in the 90s and was kinda blown away how big the boss was in polygons on screen at the time. Maybe not so much now.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

R-Type for me,loved the game in the arcades and equally loved it on TurboGrafx-16.

Nameless One

R-Type for me as well, itís got a really unique foreboding atmosphere and whilst tough you do improve with subsequent play throughs. The Master System version is ace as well especially with FM sound.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Super Darius was my first CD game and I got it early on (1990?), so I will always have nostalgia for it as my friends and I never saw the arcade version until years later. The style and ambience of the original still stands apart from the sequels.

With that said, I'd rank these games by quality and admiration equally:

R-Type
    Darius
    Gradius

I've never liked Gradius, even though Gradius II and Lifeforce NES are cool.

R-Type is one of the most timeless games in general, especially when it comes to aesthetics and style. The gameplay always feels exciting and the powerups/options satisfying.

I've never liked any of the follow up R-Type games I've tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

What? No PARODIUS? I'd take any of the Parodius games over any of these (including the Gradius games) any day!

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

R-Type would be number 1 for me, in particular R-Type 3 & Leo, plus the first one is pretty decent too
    (does Pulstar count as R-Type? If so, that game is awesome too)

Next would be Gradius 2 and Nemesis 90 Kai, especially the TG-16 version of Gradius 2. Don't care about any other Gradius.

Darius in last place since I never cared for the series.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Master of Shinobi

THAT KILLER ASPECT RATIO > anything
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge size milestones @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150)

My pick according to the first game in each series:

1. R-Type - Set the standard, most well-rounded.
    2. Darius - Great presentation, unique boss encounters.
    3. Gradius - Good pick-up and play, really quite brass tacks.

My favorite game in each series in no exact order:

1. R-Type Delta (PS1) - Fantastic transition from 2D to 3D.
    2. Darius Gaiden (Saturn) - Absolutely pinnacle 2D shooter.
    3. Gradius Galaxies (GBA) - Standard procedure but refined, refined, refined.

PC-Engine really takes the cake with the ports that it has available for it from each series, especially on the PCE-CD.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

When I first played this, holy crap this boss looked amazing to me. His eyes move and seemed to have a reflection. It was huge and the sprite work in the background looked great to me then. It intimidated me as a player. Eclipse Eyes. Fitting name.

Some of the music in this series esp in the video has a similar vibe to it as the Borg music in TNG. (56-second mark)

Life!? ... What console is that on?

1- Darius
    2- R-Type
    3- Gradius

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I donít particularly like the Darius games that Iíve played. Iíve only spent a considerable amount of time with ONE R-Type game (R-Type Final) but I loved it...

Gradius is by far my favorite shooter series.

So my order is Gradius, followed closely by/overlapped slightly by R-Type. Darius is way back there.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I would have said Gradius, if you had asked me 3 years ago, but after I got Darius Burst Chronicles Saviors for the PS4, that game swayed my choice. 5.1 surround, screen full of enemies and a huge widescreen view in arcade mode. I like the Saturn version too, but it wasn't enough to make me choose it over Gradius.

1 - Darius
    2 - Gradius
    3 - R-Type

I didn't feel like digging out my Amiga box for R-Type. The stupid game had a glitch that would erase part of the files if you didn't write protect it, and that's what happened to my copy. It's a nice looking disk. I just realized I didn't throw Gradius Galaxies in here either.

Man, I hate the stupid camera on the iphone. This picture looked perfectly fine in my computer.
    Last edited by gamevet; 02-04-2019 at 08:59 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

1) Gradius/Salamander
    2) Darius
    3) R-Type

I always had a love for Gradius, and thanks to that series we got Parodius, a wild and wacky parody of.... well Gradius and Salamander. Darius was always known to me by it's fantastic soundtrack for pretty much and every game, and it's screen filling bosses (Gradius does that as well). R-Type I love due to how dark it's storyline tends to be, but if you aren't good at memorization, this series will eat you up.

Gradius does suffer from the recovery recovery syndrome, lose a life deep enough into a stage, and recovery becomes near nigh impossible to do.

Opa-Opa

^ Different order, but I have similar complaints.

1) Darius
    2) Gradius
    3) R-Type

Darius for me. I love the theme, Zuntata, and Gaiden/G/Chronicles are some of the better shooters released. Gradius is OK but feels woefully uninspired, and the power-up system ruins it for me. I get that I'm supposed to not die, but the penalty for dying is too steep for me to have any fun/hope after my first spent life. I cannot stand R-Type. I can respect it for what it does, and the first game is certainly iconic -- the option gameplay, the weapon systems, that first boss especially, but also that mothership stage -- but it puts me off how ridiculously memory dependent it gets later on, and R-Type always feels so sluggish compared to other shooters.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar

I have a soft spot for Gradius. And Gradius V is my favourite of all PS2 games.

Original R-Type was better than original Gradius tho.

I only played two Darius 16bit games and they were fine but not as good as other shmups from the same era imo.

Thread Information