Quantcast

Thread: Ecco: Defender of the Future

Dc Ecco: Defender of the Future

Ecco's final outing on a Sega console was a fitting coda to the series. It was beautiful, graceful, and darn hard! Even so, it was an outstanding way to end the series and give Sega's legendary dolphin the 3D outing he deserved. This is one that should definitely be in any Dreamcast owner's library. Read our full review for more details.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

heart

Nice review! I was slowly putting together a review, for a long time, but I never really played the game enough for a full experience of it. This game seems more difficult and confusing than the classic series. Probably due mainly to the 3D.

But on the other hand, we can level-skip to anywhere we want.

Graphics are amazing and I think it's the best nature simulation we've ever seen, to this day? Obviously it's not complex like modern games' environments, and it's a bit low poly, but the details and loving care that was put into it, is just amazing.

The emphasis on sunlight is beautiful and unexpected. Surface of water glows with ripples, actual refracted sunlight dances over the sea floor, and dances over most of the creatures too.

The detailed scenery manages to look almost photorealistic, and manages to hide the limitations among all the nature detail.

I'm always surprised that people have really played through it though, there seems so much dead time of confusion in each stage lol.

BTW, what are all the animals that Ecco morphs into?? I think there's a fish, real briefly...

He becomes a Foe ship for that one cut scene lol.

What else does he morph into, and what stages?
    Last edited by Ecco; 02-06-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Graphics are amazing and I think it's the best nature simulation we've ever seen, to this day?
    I dunno, I think Endless Ocean: Blue World on the Wii might be the best nature simulation we've seen thus far.

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masamune View Post
    I dunno, I think Endless Ocean: Blue World on the Wii might be the best nature simulation we've seen thus far.
    Hmm I've only seen Endless Ocean in videos but my impression is that Defender has more emphasis on being prettier, like the huge emphasis on sunlight effects; the sunlight seems brighter, and the texture-mapped surfaces seem more creative...
    Last edited by Ecco; 02-09-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Thread Information