Quantcast

Thread: The A'can - Taiwanese 16-bit console from 1995 (not a clone console)

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Default The A'can - Taiwanese 16-bit console from 1995 (not a clone console)

Just came across this video, I found it pretty interesting, never seen this console talked about before:

The Cat in the Hat Hero of Algol NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    never seen this console talked about before
    I have, Sega-16 user Bramsworth had a huge boner for it a couple years ago on here. Think he was collecting all the games for it.

Yeah, Super A'can is known (ironically) for being the obscure 16-bit system.

I really wish there was more research on it, but the crappy games aren't helping the case. From a hardware viewpoint it seems a pretty damn big deal, at least graphics-wise — three normal background layers + 1 rotozooming layer (mode-7 style), up to 128 sprites that can be assigned as either consecutive tiles (Mega Drive/SNES/PCE style) or as their own mini-tilemaps (Neo Geo style), direct access to VRAM (though DMA is also an option) which is up to 128KB btw (double that of Mega Drive and SNES), the MESS source code also implies there's some support for sprite scaling… There's absolutely no knowledge about how the sound works tho :​/ (although it's heavily implied that the crappy PCM is just because the devs sucked at it, just like with their games on other platforms…) I honestly wish I had one just so I could figure out how it works :​v

So: good hardware (albeit late), shitty games. Oh well.

WCPO Agent

For 1995, this isn't a good hardware...

(but I admit I'd like to have one too :P)

The Future is yesterday. Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

First time hearing about it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

If only the Super A'Can 32X came out... if only...

I played one once and it wasn't anything special.

Road Rasher

I have one but games are so expensive. I only own one game African Monopoly and its not the type of game to showcase the hardware capabilities.
    The Sonic The Hedgehog clone were you play as a Yakuza kid with a baseball bat, is the only game that truly interests me. I think its called Sonic Dragon.

Gromble of pirates...? Outrunner Bramsworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    I have, Sega-16 user Bramsworth had a huge boner for it a couple years ago on here. Think he was collecting all the games for it.
    That's one way of putting it

I only have four of the games for it myself. The rest are hard to find or are too expensive to feel like caring. I'm content never owning the rest since they're not remarkable anyway.

It's a shame emulation hasn't been furthered though. Last I checked there's only two out of the 12 games released for the system that aren't dumped. No one is terribly interested at this point I guess. I've always thought it would be neat if someone made a homebrew demo showing off the capabilities of the system since none of the games that did come out really make it feel like more than an SNES. At this rate that's a pipe dream though.
    I'm Pro A'can

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Yeah, Super A'can is known (ironically) for being the obscure 16-bit system.

I really wish there was more research on it, but the crappy games aren't helping the case. From a hardware viewpoint it seems a pretty damn big deal, at least graphics-wise — three normal background layers + 1 rotozooming layer (mode-7 style), up to 128 sprites that can be assigned as either consecutive tiles (Mega Drive/SNES/PCE style) or as their own mini-tilemaps (Neo Geo style), direct access to VRAM (though DMA is also an option) which is up to 128KB btw (double that of Mega Drive and SNES), the MESS source code also implies there's some support for sprite scaling… There's absolutely no knowledge about how the sound works tho :​/ (although it's heavily implied that the crappy PCM is just because the devs sucked at it, just like with their games on other platforms…) I honestly wish I had one just so I could figure out how it works :​v

So: good hardware (albeit late), shitty games. Oh well.
    Never knew Sango Fighter and that RPG game were "shitty" by your standards

The catalog in general definitely does leave a lot to be desired :​P (not anywhere as close to bad as Game.​com but… yeah)

But what I'm saying is that the hardware looks pretty high-end and easy to develop for as far as 4th generation consoles go, yet the released games don't really reflect that (it makes it look like it was inherently a piece of crap that made everybody struggle). In other words, wasted potential. The only real letdown I can see (for a 4th gen console) is that it's still limited to 4MB cartridge space like the Mega Drive (which for mid-'90s definitely would be a problem), no idea what they were intending to do about that.

Give the hardware to somebody who is competent and isn't being rushed and it could easily make both Mega Drive and SNES look like crap in comparison. At least graphics-wise.

Thread Information