Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35

Thread: Playing imports on a PAL Mega CD 2

  1. #16
    VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,550
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    There are some half decent Jp action games such as the Taito games, Night Striker and Ninja Warriors. I was also fortunate to pick up the Jp version of Keio Flying Squadron for much less than the PAL or US versions although I might have got lucky as it does seem more expensive these days. Another Jp-exclusive that I am a big fan of is Record of Lodoss War which is a great SRPG a la Shining Force. You only need very minimal Japanese to play it (katakana) and of you watch the anime then youíll understand all of the cut scenes/storyline as it follows it exactly. Lastly Final Fight is uncensored in Japan so also worth picking up.
    I already have Keio, Ninja Warriors and Final Fight CD, luckily snagged them a few years ago now - I wouldn't want to know what the first two fetch these days. Night Striker I've never pulled the trigger for whatever reason. Got the shooters, Popful Mail, Sengoku Denshou, Thunder Hawk and Soul Star JP, Prince of Persia, Sonic CD and Road Blaster FX.

    As far as other action stuff, there is Devastator from Wolf Team, but haven't bothered. Cyborg 009 doesn't look great. Then you got stuff that is dirt cheap curio tier kusoge like Heavy Nova, Black Hole Assault etc etc. Nothing too hot left to really consider.

    Thanks for the recommendation on Lodoss War. I have been thinking about SRPG for JP CD but didn't really know where to start in terms of what's playable (without a guide) because of the language barrier. What about Shining Force CD itself, is the JP version playable?

    Anyway, that's why I'm looking at a solution to play US/PAL stuff on my JP MCD. Anyone know if the PAL Lords of Thunder will function correctly on the JP system (in other words was it optimised for PAL, running too fast at 60 hz and so on)?

  2. #17
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Is there more to it than just the BIOS ? Iíve tried getting Heart of the Alien to run on my PAL system with no luck.
    Iíve loaded a region free bios and the US BIOS from my EverDrive but the game locks just after the Sonic/Sega screen to no avail. Iíve tried this on both my Multi-Mega and my Mega CD 2 with same results.
    As an aside the Multi-Mega really doesnít like CDRís whearas the Mega CD 2 has no such issues.

  3. #18
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Well, probably the best thing is an internal switchless mod, to switch not only the region but also with a double crystal to get a full PAL NTSC MD MegaCD combo.

  4. #19
    Outrunner stika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    These are your options:

    Tototek Mega Cart is the cheapest/easiest way (I have one and I havenít had a game not work with it).

    Mega Everdrive is a more costly option but obviously brings added benefits over the Mega Cart option.

    Region-free BIOS may either be the most expensive or the cheapest option depending whether or not you have a soldering station, EPROM burner and the required skills to perform the mod. Itís certainly the most difficult option but once the hard work is done, it is the most elegant solution.

    You will want to have some kind of switch on the MD side as well to play games in 60Hz. I just keep mine set to 60Hz all the time and most PAL Mega CD games play absolutely fine. Some that have animated cut scenes (as opposed to FMV) have syncing issues, for example the intro to Sol-Feace, but other than that even FMV games play fine. The only game Iíve found not to work properly at 60Hz is Microcosm, but trust me, youíre not missing much.
    My Megadrive already has a 50/60hz switch. Do I also need one for the Mega CD?
    Please check out my YouTube channel

  5. #20
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Must be something different about Heart of the Alien. Iíve tried Mad Dog McCree (US) and Ninja Warriors (JP) which work fine with the EverDrive.

  6. #21
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stika View Post
    My Megadrive already has a 50/60hz switch. Do I also need one for the Mega CD?
    Not really. There is a mod to switch between all the bios, eur, jap, and usa. And it can be combine with the mod to change the clock on the MD, so you will have a real NTSC or PAL MD.
    If some games have problems due to the incorrect bios, or clock speed this will fix it. But I think we are talking about a very few titles.
    Last edited by majinga; 03-04-2019 at 08:50 AM.

  7. #22
    urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,362
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    Must be something different about Heart of the Alien. Iíve tried Mad Dog McCree (US) and Ninja Warriors (JP) which work fine with the EverDrive.
    Heart of the Alien ended up never released in PAL. The US version may have little to no 50hz compatibility.

  8. #23
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Sega CD

    Firstly thanks stika for helping me get registered to post. Here's some info and a question or two...

    I have a PAL Mega-CD and an unmodified NTSC Genesis. The Mega-CD will only boot up using an Everdrive (I have a clone) cart with a suitable Regfree Bios loaded.

    I also have a PAL Megadrive with 50/60Hz switch if for some reason games won't load.

    Here's some of the things I've discovered:

    Road Rash CD (USA) is playable in any combination of hardware and Bios - but the graphics are corrupt. Even using the Regionfree USA Bios, it's still corrupt.
    Wolfchild (EUR) will only play with the PAL Megadrive connected - connect the Genesis and it won't load at all regardless of Bios loaded.
    Silpheed (USA) will never load past the first split second of the intro, regardless of my possible Hardware/Bios combinations.
    Silpheed (EUR) will only work with the PAL Megadrive connected. Trying with the Genesis and Everdrive Bios results in it crashing at the intro like the USA version.
    Soulstar (USA) crashes on the intro no matter what combination of hardware and bios I try to load.
    Wonderdog (EUR) will only play on the PAL Megadrive and Mega-CD setup. Trying with the Genesis results in a crash before the intro/logo.
    Championship Soccer (USA) will never load past the Sony Logo, no matter what combination I try.
    Bram Stokers Dracula (USA) crashes when the narration begins, regardless of combo.

    I can confirm I got Heart of the Alien (USA) to work on the Genesis/Mega-CD with Regionfree Bios.

    I can also confirm that once a game is loaded, you can switch between 50/60Hz if you want to. However Silpheed didn't display the whole screen if I remember correctly (edges cut off).

    Does anyone know what the hardware differences between a PAL Mega-CD and a Sega-CD are? Obviously there's the Bios - but there must be other differences that are stopping games working even when US (Regionfree) Bios are loaded, or not?

    Right now I would like to convert my PAL Mega-CD to a Sega-CD so I can play Road Rash CD and generally play USA versions without issue.

    Is that possible? What needs doing?

    Thanks!

  9. #24
    Road Rasher
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    490
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Itíll most likely work if you used a Mega Cart rather than Everdrive.

    Iíve not had a single game not work yet. Granted I havenít played every game but I have a PAL Mega CD, a Jp Mega CD and a US CD-X and it allows me to play any of my games on any region console.

    The only one which buggers up is PAL Microcosm has screwed up music when played at 60Hz.

  10. #25
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Itíll most likely work if you used a Mega Cart rather than Everdrive.

    Iíve not had a single game not work yet. Granted I havenít played every game but I have a PAL Mega CD, a Jp Mega CD and a US CD-X and it allows me to play any of my games on any region console.

    The only one which buggers up is PAL Microcosm has screwed up music when played at 60Hz.
    Have you tried Heart of the Alien on your PAL system ? If so could you confirm it works please.

    Iíve looked on the Tototek website but the MegaCart seems to be sold out.

  11. #26
    Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    4,843
    Rep Power
    53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogical View Post
    Firstly thanks stika for helping me get registered to post. Here's some info and a question or two...

    I have a PAL Mega-CD and an unmodified NTSC Genesis. The Mega-CD will only boot up using an Everdrive (I have a clone) cart with a suitable Regfree Bios loaded.

    I also have a PAL Megadrive with 50/60Hz switch if for some reason games won't load.

    Here's some of the things I've discovered:

    Road Rash CD (USA) is playable in any combination of hardware and Bios - but the graphics are corrupt. Even using the Regionfree USA Bios, it's still corrupt.
    Wolfchild (EUR) will only play with the PAL Megadrive connected - connect the Genesis and it won't load at all regardless of Bios loaded.
    Silpheed (USA) will never load past the first split second of the intro, regardless of my possible Hardware/Bios combinations.
    Silpheed (EUR) will only work with the PAL Megadrive connected. Trying with the Genesis and Everdrive Bios results in it crashing at the intro like the USA version.
    Soulstar (USA) crashes on the intro no matter what combination of hardware and bios I try to load.
    Wonderdog (EUR) will only play on the PAL Megadrive and Mega-CD setup. Trying with the Genesis results in a crash before the intro/logo.
    Championship Soccer (USA) will never load past the Sony Logo, no matter what combination I try.
    Bram Stokers Dracula (USA) crashes when the narration begins, regardless of combo.

    I can confirm I got Heart of the Alien (USA) to work on the Genesis/Mega-CD with Regionfree Bios.

    I can also confirm that once a game is loaded, you can switch between 50/60Hz if you want to. However Silpheed didn't display the whole screen if I remember correctly (edges cut off).

    Does anyone know what the hardware differences between a PAL Mega-CD and a Sega-CD are? Obviously there's the Bios - but there must be other differences that are stopping games working even when US (Regionfree) Bios are loaded, or not?

    Right now I would like to convert my PAL Mega-CD to a Sega-CD so I can play Road Rash CD and generally play USA versions without issue.

    Is that possible? What needs doing?

    Thanks!
    You need a Mega Cart. Worldwide Soccer and the likes of Thunderhawk/Strike will only boot if the right speed is selected: Like how you have to boot the Pal games in 50Hz and then can switch to 60 Hz when you get to the title screen.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  12. #27
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've purchased a Sega-CD from USA to compare - that way all my games should work. I'll see if there are any major differences on the boards once it is here.

  13. #28
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    My Sega-CD arrived and now Road Rash works perfectly as expected - but if you use the Everdrive and load a Regionfree Bios, you STILL get the bad graphics. So something with the Everdrive is causing issues - like Team Andromeda and crazyteknohed mentioned above.

    The differences between the two are plain to see:

    MEGA-CD2:
    Attachment 14868

    SEGA-CD2
    Attachment 14869

  14. #29
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    110
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogical View Post
    ...
    The differences between the two are plain to see:

    MEGA-CD2:
    Attachment 14868

    SEGA-CD2
    Attachment 14869
    I can't see the attachments.

    I have Bram Stoker's Dracula (USA), and it work fine on my PAL MD+MCD, I just have some sync issue with the audio, mostly the narrator voice is a bit delayed.

  15. #30
    Outrunner
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    570
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Illogical View Post
    My Sega-CD arrived and now Road Rash works perfectly as expected - but if you use the Everdrive and load a Regionfree Bios, you STILL get the bad graphics.
    Let me ask a dumb question. If you're using an Everdrive to load an alternate CD BIOS, why are you bothering to load a region free one? Why not just load up whatever BIOS for the region of the CD you're trying to boot? That would eliminate a lot of factors that may cause problems.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •