Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing imports on a PAL Mega CD 2

Default Playing imports on a PAL Mega CD 2

So recently got a PAL Mega CD 2, is there a way to play imports on it? I already own Lunar, Lunar 2 and Heimdall.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

Sure. You can mod it to be region free. Or you can burn your own copy of the game with a region patch. Or you can use a cart like the datel Pro CDX, to play import games.

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    Sure. You can mod it to be region free. Or you can burn your own copy of the game with a region patch. Or you can use a cart like the datel Pro CDX, to play import games.
    What if you use an everdrive with the region's bios? I was pretty sure I read a few years ago that would also work?

I did not know. But it seems you're right.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

You need a solution that will change the region/language of your Mega Drive and the bios of your Mega-CD.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I thought that the region-free-bios do not care about the region of the MD.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    You need a solution that will change the region/language of your Mega Drive and the bios of your Mega-CD.
    would an ever drive work?

Outrunner

Yes that would, or at least it will on a Mega Everdrive.

Patching a CD-R with either of the region patching programs works fairly well between US NTSC and PAL, less with JP. I've had mixed results with different versions of Datel's Pro CD-X, and perfect results with a Tototek Mega Cart.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Yes that would, or at least it will on a Mega Everdrive.

Patching a CD-R with either of the region patching programs works fairly well between US NTSC and PAL, less with JP. I've had mixed results with different versions of Datel's Pro CD-X, and perfect results with a Tototek Mega Cart.
    I can back up everything in this statement as well except the comments on the Totek cart.

I have personally used a MegaED on a US SegaCD2 and booted different BIOS files without issue, but I normally just use a PAC S-1 or a PAC-S-10 depending on the game I want to play. I can't think of a single PAL MegaCD I'd want to play, though there are a couple exclusives.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets Team Andromeda's Avatar

Just get a Mega Cart. Its works with all the games.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

I suppose I'll need to track down one of those Tototek Mega Carts, or just finally get a Mega EverDrive. The JP Mega CD library is kind of limited in terms of straight action games, with several key titles US and PAL only. Lords of Thunder, Dungeon Explorer, Batman returns, Terminator etc.

urusei yatsura Master of Shinobi lumclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    I thought that the region-free-bios do not care about the region of the MD.
    Right. Most versions of the Mega CD won't work if plugged into the wrong MD.

But 50hz or 60hz remains an issue for some games.

Road Rasher

These are your options:

Tototek Mega Cart is the cheapest/easiest way (I have one and I havenít had a game not work with it).

Mega Everdrive is a more costly option but obviously brings added benefits over the Mega Cart option.

Region-free BIOS may either be the most expensive or the cheapest option depending whether or not you have a soldering station, EPROM burner and the required skills to perform the mod. Itís certainly the most difficult option but once the hard work is done, it is the most elegant solution.

You will want to have some kind of switch on the MD side as well to play games in 60Hz. I just keep mine set to 60Hz all the time and most PAL Mega CD games play absolutely fine. Some that have animated cut scenes (as opposed to FMV) have syncing issues, for example the intro to Sol-Feace, but other than that even FMV games play fine. The only game Iíve found not to work properly at 60Hz is Microcosm, but trust me, youíre not missing much.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    I suppose I'll need to track down one of those Tototek Mega Carts, or just finally get a Mega EverDrive. The JP Mega CD library is kind of limited in terms of straight action games, with several key titles US and PAL only. Lords of Thunder, Dungeon Explorer, Batman returns, Terminator etc.
    There are some half decent Jp action games such as the Taito games, Night Striker and Ninja Warriors. I was also fortunate to pick up the Jp version of Keio Flying Squadron for much less than the PAL or US versions although I might have got lucky as it does seem more expensive these days. Another Jp-exclusive that I am a big fan of is Record of Lodoss War which is a great SRPG a la Shining Force. You only need very minimal Japanese to play it (katakana) and of you watch the anime then youíll understand all of the cut scenes/storyline as it follows it exactly. Lastly Final Fight is uncensored in Japan so also worth picking up.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

MED will work, but you're hamstrung to 50Hz speeds. Some cutscenes and the like can run out of sync with the CD audio. Also, if there's a 32X in the mix, some games might not work; I couldn't load up Night Trap 32X CD using that method.

EDIT - Just read crazyteknohead's post, he said this better!

Thread Information