Quantcast

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Imagining the games you love on Mega Drive.

Nameless One

I would loved to see some rotary stick games. Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers and Heavy Barrel would be great. All of them are within the Genesis computing reach and the 6 button layout would work well enough. Plus they games are great for couch co-op. Almost forgot Gorilla War.
    Last edited by homerhomer; 03-30-2019 at 03:42 AM.

This looks like something that would have ported over nicely (though would need to retouch some stuff because of widescreen). I suppose that being from 1988 helps.

Also where was that game all this time, I just ran into it o.o

Robocop...

is a good one, very reable on MD..
    also we got a plenty of colors left

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Robocop...

is a good one, very reable on MD..
    also we got a plenty of colors left

Robocop is rumored to be a playable arcade machine in Paprium as an Easter Egg The dev team had the extra time as they are way ahead of schedule.

You know, I was watching a Super Castlevania IV video the other day and… forget mode 7, how do you cope with the HUD?! That thing covers the entire screen width (meaning it'd completely exhaust the sprite limit) and is using the third layer (something the Mega Drive lacks). And I imagine that making its background opaque (in order to cram it into the window plane) wouldn't be acceptable for quite a large bunch of people. Switching to H40 would probably help some (that's 64px more of sprites right there), and trying to exploit the few gaps inside the HUD for a few extra pixels, but yeah, it's gonna be a problem.

Regarding mode 7: OK yeah the area that spins is gonna be a problem, but the rest seem easy to work around. The rolling mode 7 background could be probably be replaced with an effect like the beginning of stage 2 in Pulseman (where the background curves depending on your position in the map). The chandeliers probably can use vscroll tilting instead (although I'd still make the foreground with sprites, since using both planes would give better granularity — maybe throw in a few more sprites to act as background tho, that map is woefully lacking in that area). The world map is probably not worth the scaling stuff :​v

That reminds me… the game really likes to throw in translucency effects for no reason even if it looks worse. Stuff blending in out of nowhere even when they clearly aren't ghostly is about as awkward as it gets. I definitely wouldn't mind just making their transition a flicker instead, or outright replacing it with something else.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    You know, I was watching a Super Castlevania IV video the other day and… forget mode 7, how do you cope with the HUD?! That thing covers the entire screen width (meaning it'd completely exhaust the sprite limit) and is using the third layer (something the Mega Drive lacks). And I imagine that making its background opaque (in order to cram it into the window plane) wouldn't be acceptable for quite a large bunch of people. Switching to H40 would probably help some (that's 64px more of sprites right there), and trying to exploit the few gaps inside the HUD for a few extra pixels, but yeah, it's gonna be a problem.

Regarding mode 7: OK yeah the area that spins is gonna be a problem, but the rest seem easy to work around. The rolling mode 7 background could be probably be replaced with an effect like the beginning of stage 2 in Pulseman (where the background curves depending on your position in the map). The chandeliers probably can use vscroll tilting instead (although I'd still make the foreground with sprites, since using both planes would give better granularity — maybe throw in a few more sprites to act as background tho, that map is woefully lacking in that area). The world map is probably not worth the scaling stuff :​v

That reminds me… the game really likes to throw in translucency effects for no reason even if it looks worse. Stuff blending in out of nowhere even when they clearly aren't ghostly is about as awkward as it gets. I definitely wouldn't mind just making their transition a flicker instead, or outright replacing it with something else.
    I know you are looking at this from a purely technical point of view (something I can't do) but I always found the graphical styling of Super Castlevania IV to be hideous. I mean, something about the combination of low-res, washed out colors (Why is that btw? contrast is barely noticeable) and that "early title" sprites and animation... I dunno, to me Bloodlines always seemed more modern by like a decade.

SC4 for me is like a tech demo to show some snes cool stuff..

The game started development like a whole year before the Super Famicom launch in Japan, so to be fair it's possible they weren't even sure what they were doing at the time.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by strider1911 View Post
    ... I always found the graphical styling of Super Castlevania IV to be hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    SC4 for me is like a tech demo to show some snes cool stuff..
    The game started development like a whole year before the Super Famicom launch in Japan, so to be fair it's possible they weren't even sure what they were doing at the time.
    I remember when I first saw screenshots of SCIV in the gaming magazines of the day and thought it looked like a muddy, dull mess. It's ironic that because of the effects it uses it'd actually be a lot trickier to port to the Genesis than, say Megaman X. (As one intrepid Brazilian is currently doing...)

One the other hand, once I played SCIV I was blown away by the smooth, responsive, fun gameplay... and above all else that amazing soundtrack has to rank in the top 10 of all time. I listen to it frequently even today.

EDIT: in fact, Imma go listen to the soundtrack right now.

SC4 for me is the most overhated in entire series..
    the bosses are very weak and not take much attetion...
    normal enemys are some type of bad joke, all them are very small
    Trevor is like a Guliver on the land of giants..
    some music are cool but most of them are boring...
    its more atmosferic than energetic gothic rock like the trademark of the series..
    the majority of level are very short...

i don't know.. after play castlevania 3 sc4 do not impress me..
    and after all these time.. after we had played rondo of blood...
    SC4 get very far bellow on my castlavania game rank

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Well, I agree with a lot of the criticisms in this video:

...but SCIV's lower difficulty doesn't bother me too much since I play more casually nowadays.

And I agree that Akumajou Densetsu's soundtrack is fantastic (especially "Clockwork") but I find myself listening to SCIV's soundtrack more often...

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I feel SCV4 is the best CV ever. Captures that perfect dark atmosphere. Gothic setting. OST. Everything a PROPER Castlevania should be and before the series became loaded with buttock anime and Metroid.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

This looks like something that would have ported over nicely (though would need to retouch some stuff because of widescreen). I suppose that being from 1988 helps.

Also where was that game all this time, I just ran into it o.o
    There was a Superman game for the Genesis from Sunsoft. I remember my friend lent it to me but yeah, that would look great, add this Superman game like how there were four or five Batman games for the Genesis. Like any comic book inspired video game for any console.

Outrunner

A game I would love to see, is Super Hexagon. I think it would fit very nice!

Looking at one of more beloved games in my country

MD Original

Snes

Thread Information