Quantcast

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Imagining the games you love on Mega Drive.

I used to want the exclusive 32X and Sega CD games to have been vanilla Genesis titles. Especially some I think are really pretty, like Tempo. But after DF Retro's video on 32X, I dunno, it seems like the Genesis is doing a lot of the work on those games.

Also, some games are hard to justify (to me) not being on MD, like Ghoul Patrol and SFA2.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

WCPO Agent

There are some SNES games I'd like to see on Megadrive, because some aspects would be more suited to the MD hardware.

These include Super GnG, and hagane. Of course, the games wouldn't be so beautiful, and mode 7 levels should be heavily modified, but they'd run smoother, and could have more intense action, which would not be so bad.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Speaking about games that would make sense on the MD. How about Final Fight cartridge version? I remember i patiently waited for that game to be released on the MD back in the day. And then Sega ported it to the CD instead. Not everyone has a Mega CD. The assets would already be there, plus no load times.
    Yes! This has always been on my mind, but I thought it might not be worth bringing up here.
    Also, it may just be me, but I'm not a huge fan of the CD soundtrack. The tracks are fine on their own, but they feel a bit out of place in game. Sometimes they feel like they're trying too hard. It's like they're trying to say "Hey, this is a CD soundtrack, have you noticed how special it is?". But in the end, the tunes can be slow to start and don't always match the action. Plus these awkward silences as they loop. I'd rather get a good old Genesis soundtrack instead.

On a side note, there's a bug (or oversight) I hate in the Mega CD version... The fact that the car bonus stage displays no hit marks when you hit the car. It just feels wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    There are some SNES games I'd like to see on Megadrive, because some aspects would be more suited to the MD hardware.

These include Super GnG, and hagane. Of course, the games wouldn't be so beautiful, and mode 7 levels should be heavily modified, but they'd run smoother, and could have more intense action, which would not be so bad.
    I'm not a such fan to bring snes games to md, because is very cheap and easy to have one at home..
    so its easier play these titles without compromisses...

About the titles, hagane runs very well on snes and SgnG was launched to saturn and psx etc..

But a newer port of GnG restouring the assests and content from the arcade, incluinding extra levels are always welcome =D

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Yes! This has always been on my mind, but I thought it might not be worth bringing up here.
    Also, it may just be me, but I'm not a huge fan of the CD soundtrack. The tracks are fine on their own, but they feel a bit out of place in game. Sometimes they feel like they're trying too hard. It's like they're trying to say "Hey, this is a CD soundtrack, have you noticed how special it is?". But in the end, the tunes can be slow to start and don't always match the action. Plus these awkward silences as they loop. I'd rather get a good old Genesis soundtrack instead.

On a side note, there's a bug (or oversight) I hate in the Mega CD version... The fact that the car bonus stage displays no hit marks when you hit the car. It just feels wrong.
    Final Fight CD we already had on our system...
    the big deal for me os Captain Commando and Knights of the Rounds...
    2 of my favorites brawlers from Capcom thats feats very well on md

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Wait until you realize weapons lag behind by one frame in the animations… (though a more annoying one is that if too many things are arranged horizontally sprites start to disappear — not talking about sprite limits, the whole thing disappears and it's entirely related to depth, so sounds like something is wrong with the depth sorting)

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I'm not a such fan to bring snes games to md, because is very cheap and easy to have one at home..
    so its easier play these titles without compromisses...
    From the very moment you play an action game on SNES, it's a compromise :P

About the titles, hagane runs very well on snes and SgnG was launched to saturn and psx etc..
    Both games are flawed with low resolution, which really impacts on gameplay (especially Hagane). SGnG on Saturn has no slowdowns, but they didn't increase the resolution. Also, they didn't bring all the new levels from the GBA version (which, on another side, is even more flawed by low resolution).

But a newer port of GnG restouring the assests and content from the arcade, incluinding extra levels are always welcome =D
    It can be a good idea too

From the very moment you play an action game on SNES, it's a compromise :P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I would like to see a Virtua Fighter port with vectorial graphics (Another World style).
    With 2d fixed camera, no zoom or changing camera angle, maybe is possible a smooth animation at 60 fps.
    And cinematic for the win animation.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    No it wouldn't. If you think it's OP and boring, then just don't use it. Solves all the problems.
    Well, perhaps an OFF/ON toggle in the options screen would be the way to go then, to keep both orthodox and limp whip aficionados happy

There is a romhack that fixes the slowdowns of SGnG.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Good shout on the Robocop arcade, I'd've bought that (insert rest of line here). The Simpsons arcade would've been nice too, it's the only arcade we ever completed.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Vludi View Post
    There is a romhack that fixes the slowdowns of SGnG.
    I know it (and I play SGnG with it). It doesn't fix all slowdons, and it doesn't fix the low resolution, obviously.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Possibly mentioned already but I always wondered how Vendetta/Crime Fighters 2 would port over. Pretty safe to assume a conversion back in the early nineties would have been massively compromised in terms of graphics and animation, but with the bigger cart sizes of today and the talented individuals in the community who can optimize the hell out of the MD palette I can see this being a candidate.

There's quite a lot going on in the game in any one scene, incidental animations everywhere (smashing enemies into shopfront windows with the bat, knocking down scaffolding, guys having coughing fits after being hit with bags of concrete, buckets on heads, those dudes humping poles etc). Not to mention ground pound animations for the player characters and so on. Of course that's a big part of the game's appeal, so preserving as much of the mayhem as possible would be key. For me, although it's not the best playing scrolling beat 'em up from the nineties, it is the most emblematic in taking the gang violence theme to it's logical conclusion.

Thread Information