Quantcast

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Imagining the games you love on Mega Drive.

i would have loved to see a Magician Lord port to the genesis from the neo geo, also burgertime and a proper bubble bobble arcade port.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert bertodecosta's Avatar

Othello.

No, I'm not kidding.
    I used to love playing Othello back then, but sadly there is no Othello game for Sega Master System and Sega Genesis/Megadrive.
    CMIIW, the only Sega system that has Othello is the obscure SG-1000.

I found the maps over internet and i make my first try

So.. the enemys uses just 1 pallete

*The Blue bobles gonna use char pallete

Main Character main pallete, also have free slot to blue bubles

Stage 1

Itens, signs and Master sprite uses the enemys pallete

@blacktiger what you think of the results? ofc is not soo faithfull like your PCE version

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Test with sprites

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier, but it'd be killer to see the Konami 'The Simpsons' arcade game on the Genesis/32X/whatever.

Or, better yet, a port of Seibu Kaihatsu's 'Zero Team USA'. THAT would wind up wearing out several more controllers in our household, given the kind of beat em up fans we are
    Last edited by Eep386; 02-25-2019 at 06:34 PM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sut View Post
    I would love someone to convert the ESWAT arcade game. With the work on Shinobi I would assume they could use that engine.

Slight tangent but Revenge of Death Adder, Outrunners and Cool Riders should have come to Saturn.
    I have never, ever understood why Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder wasn't given a Saturn port. For me it's up there with some of Sega's most baffling in-house decisions, alongside the equally baffling lack of a proper Sonic game for the same system.

Back on topic I would have loved to have seen a Mega Drive port of the excellent side scrolling arcade beat-'em-up Aliens Vs Predator. It was either Konami or Capcom who made it, I forget which. I know it would have to be stripped back somewhat for the Mega Drive's hardware, but if the gameplay was intact it wouldn't be too much of a problem.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Looks great Pyron!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Did someone already say ... Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja? Now that's a game that defo should have been on the MD.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Test with sprites

Those look great and I know that a very nice looking version can be done on Mega Drive, but it's not worth weighing the balance towards arcade faithfulness. The Mega Drive palette really suites the first stage.

I don't remember how many unique palettes there are for the 8 different sets of armor, but I believe that each has 3 or 4 unique colors. You can acquire the highest level of armor any time you have enough zennny and there are armor powerups hidden throughout the stages. So the player's palette needs to remain exclusive in order to to keep the armor visuals faithful.

A couple solutions would be to color cycle the darkest or second darkest shade, to give armor upgrades a glowing outline effect. Then the lowest common denominator enemy/misc sprite palette could be shared with the player palette, freeing up some variety for enemies in later stages.

The other thing would be to map out the enemy layouts throughout each stage and plan around which enemies can possibly appear in any given section and cycle through alternate palettes.

The more color intensive stages might need to have the dungeon sections loaded independently, so they don't creep onscreen with assets using different palettes. It wouldn't be noticeable by the player and could free up some variety.

I'd love to hear a well made Mega Drive version of the soundtrack.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Pha's Avatar

A regeneration of Solstice from NES (with supermap and better/help for controls)

A novative version Metal Storm from NES

A ambitious Metal Slug "Special" ( Special because only with the best levels of the serie) from NEO-GEO

A mega conversion of Donkey Kong Contry from SNES

A super conversion of Prince of Persia from SNES

A definitive version of Starfox from SNES (Blast Processing Inside...)

A conversion of Sonic Mania (but only the exclu Mania Level's)

A Earthworm Jim 3 (for the fun and genius level's)

A uncredible version of Rez from the Dreamcast (because the MD/GS is capable to work fine with the geometrical wire iron graphic style...and more)

And all this in one cartridge !

Well, you know it's possible. Come on

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Those look great and I know that a very nice looking version can be done on Mega Drive, but it's not worth weighing the balance towards arcade faithfulness. The Mega Drive palette really suites the first stage.
    Thank you for the feedback, and i agreed with you, also i love what you did to improve some elements of the game to PCE.
    I will try some things to bring some more color varience of the screen.

I don't remember how many unique palettes there are for the 8 different sets of armor, but I believe that each has 3 or 4 unique colors. You can acquire the highest level of armor any time you have enough zennny and there are armor powerups hidden throughout the stages. So the player's palette needs to remain exclusive in order to to keep the armor visuals faithful..
    Yes, i dedicated one entire palette to main char, each armor gots 3 unique color + the gray shades, but i want did something more colorfull in each set, replacing the gray shades for another colors to stands out more each equipment
    also i cant use the skin colors for others enemys because its will change when you get curse, posion and etc..
    but i have some space left to help with some other things, maybe the hud and blue orbs ( i'm still thinking if i gonna add the support equipment here)

A couple solutions would be to color cycle the darkest or second darkest shade, to give armor upgrades a glowing outline effect. Then the lowest common denominator enemy/misc sprite palette could be shared with the player palette, freeing up some variety for enemies in later stages..

The other thing would be to map out the enemy layouts throughout each stage and plan around which enemies can possibly appear in any given section and cycle through alternate palettes.
    Good call, my enemy pallete i have to keep it in almost entire game because i want to use it to signs, effects, support equipment like the knifes and etc.. but the purple tones i can change on the fly when we need to increase the enemy varience on the screen but we have to take care with the enemy position and maybe change some things, also we can use some background colors to some enemys, i just have to arrange the sahdes in the same order.

The more color intensive stages might need to have the dungeon sections loaded independently, so they don't creep onscreen with assets using different palettes. It wouldn't be noticeable by the player and could free up some variety.
    Yes, i have think on it too..
    Because i noticed that alot of stages re-use the same textures tiles sets and backgrounds landscapes with entire diffirent colors to give some varience while you playing, later stages will be very hard in some ways because you see these things alot..

i will try other test and organize my results like on tmnt

Quote Originally Posted by tryphon View Post
    Something tells me it could very well happen...

When this guy talks is something to take into account

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Did someone already say ... Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja? Now that's a game that defo should have been on the MD.
    Bad dudes would be a great port. Data East games like RoboCop Arcade or maybe that Superman arcade game too

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Salamander and Operation Wolf were two of my favourite arcade titles. They'd be right at home on the MD.

I've converted most of the assets to PC Engine spec.

A lot of the game is challenging to make either faithful, look best or both. A few pixelart adjustments were made to improve over a straight palette swap.

A Mega Drive version would need to do some palette consolidation. I worked hard to give the final stage four distinct palettes for the golden elements (an improvement over than the arcade), but a Mega Drive version should probably use a single gold palette. It would also probably be worthwhile ditching the multiple armor palettes for the player sprite, unless a set of different colored palettes was substituted that could also be used for most of the enemies. Either way multiple armor palettes would likely require a loss of detail to the player sprite, which I don't think is worth the trade off. I think the game would take too much of a hit if more than a shade or two was lost for most aspects and some can't spare any at all. Those would be better to replace with unique pixelart.

These snippets should feature 80 - 99% PCE spec assets:

You have said about later stages and i get curious about that..
    omg, i'm tired!

I did some tweaks but is a big challenge indead, i want put more variation on tones like you did on PCE,
    but i had to sacrifice some things thats i usually never do.. so.. i droped and just follow the original
    the major loss here is the gray pillars thats must be sacrificed..

I think when i split the artwork in tile sets i can improve a litle bit each element, but anyway i become happy with the results..

Last edited by Pyron; 02-28-2019 at 01:20 AM.

Thread Information